General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 10:31 AM
schumacher
Club Member

I do believe amsoil makes some sort of claim on engine temp

Old 06-24-2012 | 10:53 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

A hot motor is a hot motor. 10 degrees cooler or 10 degrees hotter makes no darn difference, it's still hot.

Old 06-24-2012 | 12:34 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
I would never have believed it had I not experienced it, I thought all that was bollocks, I used Amsoil because it has a lot of good reviews but assumed it was just a good oil, now it is all I will use.

Old 06-24-2012 | 01:07 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I think your wrong.
Back in my navy days I was a Machinist Mate on the nuclear powered cruiser USS TEXAS CGN-39. We used the main coolant pumps as the initial heat source to start heating the coolant from an ambient temp for reactor startup.

The heat came from moving the water and not the pump motor (separated from the pump by a good 18"). The coolant pumps were god awful huge and rated at several thousand hp.

No change of energy to motion or motion to energy is 100% efficient. All of this "lost" energy shows up in the form of heat energy. (remember - energy can neither be created nor destroyed)

If you took an electric mixer, put it into an ambient bowl of water and ran it on high the water would slowly start to warm. Might take a while and happen very slowly, but it would happen. That would be the lost energy showing up as heat...

Thats what I remember from 2 years of nuclear power school and umpteen classes in Fluid Flow and Thermo Dynamics....
Hi PFWiz, I totally agree with you and am not arguing that point. I know if you put energy into a system it will show up as an increase in heat. My point is, that increase in heat due to motion, or fluid dynamics is going to be the same with both types of oil, and if it's any different it won't be a significant difference.

If you took two identical eclectic mixers filled one bowl with syn the other with dino and let them run on max for a few hours, how much difference in temperature do you think you would see. Assuming the viscosity and volume of the two oils were the same?

You would see no difference, except for what could be accounted for with experimental error.

Old 06-24-2012 | 01:10 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Well Duh! But you have to remember that the better filtration also straightens out the air flow (Laminar) and thus, now that the oxygen molecules are all lined up, allows for an orderly burn in the combustion chamber . . . more so at idle than at high RPM becuase gravity tends to pull the molecules out of alignment as they move from the air cleaner to the combustion chamber.
Sorry Blue, I was being a facetious SOB. I didn't mean for that comment to be taken seriously. I should have said "change my blinker fluid" instead of "change my oil filter".

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:35 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wild Card
Using antifreeze you loose heat transfer ability, not gain. I do industrial chiller and boiler work. I am on my phone out of town, or else I would give you the engineering behind it
to answer my statement I made.

Take water through a radiator of for a car or whatever, one would have to calculate the BTU's/H needing removed, you could say a 2ft x 2ft radiator with a certain design impeller pump would be fine. Then you add x amount of anti freeze to protect to x temp, now you have to upsize the radiator/coil surface area to compensate for the lack of BTU transfer the glycol has as well as change the pump/impeller design cause now you have a thicker solution.

example in my line of work, if I have a building that requires 500 million BTU's to heat, and 40% glycol is added to protect to 0*F I very well may need 750 million BTU's to perform as needed.

here is a link to the chart from Dow Chemicals showing the numbers for thermo- conductive properties or correction factor's for their product in for a givin application.

https://dow-answer.custhelp.com/app/...-english-units

I am not an engineer, I am not be 100% correct but I am on the right page.

Does this relate to synthetic oil, I have no idea.

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:55 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by schumacher
Here one claim from RP for their MaxCycle Oil:

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-co..._Motor_Oil.pdf

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:26 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Markk9
Why does a glycol based water solution work better at keeping an engine cooler? It's the amount of surface tension of the liquid. synthetic oil has more surface tension then dino based oils.

Don't forget oils in the API Group V base oils are not
cracked from dino oil, they are true synthetic oils.
Only group 3 is hydrocracked. Group 4 and 5 are synthetic,however they are still made from crude oil.
The crude is broken down to into different parts then mixed back together. They aren't made in a lab contrary to popular belief.

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:41 PM
Grog
Cruiser

Wild Card I understand what you are saying but the idea is this if you dont generate the heat by using the synthetics then you dont have to get rid of the heat.

Old 06-24-2012 | 10:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

A couple things to think about and consider.

All oils are now engineered. Mineral oil has additives that can be as or more slippery than syn. Molybdenum is in energy conserving mineral oil.

An oil cooler will lower oil temps lower than any amount syn over mineral will.

Want a cool running HD then get an AFR of 12.1 to 1. That will run the motor as cool as possible and run stronger and will last longer.

A seven year study of 74 New York cabs using Mobile I showed no reduction in the maintenance repair costs of the engines over the rest of the fleet on mineral oil.

A recent report indicated that the engineering of oils is as far as it can go. Something else is needed to spin things. Compressed air between parts is a suggestion.

Oil is not from dinosaurs it is from sea algae.

Quick Reply: Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler