General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 03:51 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jo_mama

And the best room in her house was... the Ferrari.

Old 06-24-2012 | 04:04 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Must be the technology- I rode all over on a Pan with 60 weight oil only during the Spring/Summer- and switched to 50 weight for the Winter.

All this hot/cold debate has got me confused.

Old 06-24-2012 | 05:40 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zeus33
He's talking about friction inside the fluid itself that results in heat. You're talking about convection. Find the equations where syn oil can contuct heat better than conventional oil. Please don't quote from the oil manufacturers, find independent research.

One of my undergraduate degrees is in Geophysics.
Why does a glycol based water solution work better at keeping an engine cooler? It's the amount of surface tension of the liquid. synthetic oil has more surface tension then dino based oils.

Don't forget oils in the API Group V base oils are not cracked from dino oil, they are true synthetic oils.

Old 06-24-2012 | 06:00 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ps. A fluid has no shear rigidity, there is no heat resulting from the motion of the oil itself. Or if there is any at all it's infinitesimal, and therefore negligible.

Once again, oil won't change the operating temperature of your engine. The manufacturers will have you belive that. I've done a lot of research on this topic and read a lot of "science" from unbiased sources. It's a myth folks.
I think your wrong.
Back in my navy days I was a Machinist Mate on the nuclear powered cruiser USS TEXAS CGN-39. We used the main coolant pumps as the initial heat source to start heating the coolant from an ambient temp for reactor startup.

The heat came from moving the water and not the pump motor (separated from the pump by a good 18"). The coolant pumps were god awful huge and rated at several thousand hp.

No change of energy to motion or motion to energy is 100% efficient. All of this "lost" energy shows up in the form of heat energy. (remember - energy can neither be created nor destroyed)

If you took an electric mixer, put it into an ambient bowl of water and ran it on high the water would slowly start to warm. Might take a while and happen very slowly, but it would happen. That would be the lost energy showing up as heat...

Thats what I remember from 2 years of nuclear power school and umpteen classes in Fluid Flow and Thermo Dynamics....

Old 06-24-2012 | 07:43 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior

The oil viscosity may slightly change the temperature, but I doubt synthetic will make a significant difference. However, the synthetic will definitely hold up to higher temperatures better than dino oil.

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:05 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Markk9
Why does a glycol based water solution work better at keeping an engine cooler? It's the amount of surface tension of the liquid. synthetic oil has more surface tension then dino based oils.

Don't forget oils in the API Group V base oils are not cracked from dino oil, they are true synthetic oils.
Using antifreeze you loose heat transfer ability, not gain. I do industrial chiller and boiler work. I am on my phone out of town, or else I would give you the engineering behind it

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:24 AM
hedgehorn
Road Captain

Interesting......

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:17 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

It's a myth. Synthetic can stand higher temperatures before it breaks down compared with conventional oil. That is not the same as "it makes the engine run cooler".

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:26 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I put in a new K&N filter last time instead of the Harley one and my oil temperature started running about 50 degrees cooler. It has to do with filtering out the odd shaped molecules, better heat transfer less friction.

It's a fact. Tust me.
Well Duh! But you have to remember that the better filtration also straightens out the air flow (Laminar) and thus, now that the oxygen molecules are all lined up, allows for an orderly burn in the combustion chamber . . . more so at idle than at high RPM becuase gravity tends to pull the molecules out of alignment as they move from the air cleaner to the combustion chamber.

Old 06-24-2012 | 10:17 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

I had fried thighs when the bike had Castrol synth but no more with Amsoil.

Quick Reply: Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler