General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012 | 10:53 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Old 06-23-2012 | 08:41 AM
Jackie Paper
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Shu, where's California? Thinking about driving over there tonight? Is it very far from Virginia?... Seen Dickie lately?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-23-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2012 | 10:50 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by hdgzr
If I remember correctly from H.S. physics, there is such a thing as coefficient of friction and laminate flow of fluids. A layer of fluid with a fixed viscosity, between two flat metal plates...one fixed and one moving...the center-most fluid molecules move slower if at all. The speed at which the molecules move increase the closer you get to the moving plate. Friction created within the laminate flow of the fluid in itself causes heat, which in turn contributes to the thermal breakdown of the fluid viscosity, etc.
Dude. Really?? Again with the science???

Old 06-23-2012 | 11:01 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have any temperature gauge as proof but I notice a difference so in the spring thru fall I run synthetic. Then in winter I use the regular. I need the warmth. My leg defiantly is cooler when synthetic is used. That's all the proof I need

Old 06-23-2012 | 11:05 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Old 06-23-2012 | 11:14 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
Stick with the manual is the best advice. Dino oil is all the engineers at HD call for.
Different engineers must have designed the CVO bikes as they come from the factory with synthetic oil.

Old 06-23-2012 | 11:22 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Different engineers must have designed the CVO bikes as they come from the factory with synthetic oil.
naw it's called marketing. they figure if they can sell you a motorcycle for $50000 then you'll pay 20 bucks a liter for oil with no question.

Old 06-23-2012 | 11:32 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ps. A fluid has no shear rigidity, there is no heat resulting from the motion of the oil itself. Or if there is any at all it's infinitesimal, and therefore negligible.

Once again, oil won't change the operating temperature of your engine. The manufacturers will have you belive that. I've done a lot of research on this topic and read a lot of "science" from unbiased sources. It's a myth folks.

Old 06-24-2012 | 01:10 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zeus33
ps. A fluid has no shear rigidity, there is no heat resulting from the motion of the oil itself. Or if there is any at all it's infinitesimal, and therefore negligible.

Once again, oil won't change the operating temperature of your engine. The manufacturers will have you belive that. I've done a lot of research on this topic and read a lot of "science" from unbiased sources. It's a myth folks.
Do you have a PHD is chemistry or physics? I might even beleive you a valid point if you have a masters in either. But, I seem to remember physics back in my college days.

Convective heat transfer, often referred to simply as convection, is the transfer of heat from one place to another by the movement of fluids. Convection is usually the dominant form of heat transfer in liquids and gases. Although often discussed as a distinct method of heat transfer, convective heat transfer involves the combined processes of conduction (heat diffusion) and heat transfer by bulk fluid flow, a process technically called heat advection.
The term convection can refer to transfer of heat with any fluid movement, but advection is the more precise term for the transfer due only to bulk fluid flow. The process of transfer of heat from a solid to a fluid, or the reverse, requires not only transfer of heat by bulk motion of the fluid, but also diffusion/conduction of heat through the still boundary layer next to the solid. Thus, this process with a moving fluid requires both diffusion and advection of heat, a summed process that is generally called convection.
Convection can be "forced" by movement of a fluid by means other than buoyancy forces (for example, a water pump in an automobile engine). In some cases, natural buoyancy forces alone are entirely responsible for fluid motion when the fluid is heated, and this process is called "natural convection." An example is the draft in a chimney or around any fire. In natural convection, an increase in temperature produces a reduction in density, which causes fluid motion due to pressures and forces when fluids of different densities are affected by gravity (or any g-force). For example, when water is heated on a stove, hot water from the bottom of the pan rises, displacing the colder denser liquid which falls. After heating has stopped, mixing and conduction from this natural convection eventually result in a nearly homogeneous density, and even temperature.
The convection heat transfer mode is comprised to two mechanisms. In addition to energy transfer due to random molecular motion (diffusion), energy is also transferred by bulk, or macroscopic, motion of the fluid. This motion is associated with the fact that, at any instant, large numbers of molecules are moving collectively or as aggregates. Such motion, in the presence of a temperature gradient, contributes to heat transfer. Because the molecules in aggregate retain their random motion, the total heat transfer is then due to the superposition of energy transport by random motion of the molecules and by the bulk motion of the fluid. It is customary to use the term convection when referring to this cumulative transport and the term advection when referring to the transport due to bulk fluid motion

If really needed I can dig up the math to prove it.

Old 06-24-2012 | 02:39 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

He's talking about friction inside the fluid itself that results in heat. You're talking about convection. Find the equations where syn oil can contuct heat better than conventional oil. Please don't quote from the oil manufacturers, find independent research.

One of my undergraduate degrees is in Geophysics.

Quick Reply: Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler