General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012 | 01:44 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Good thread. Obviously, some people know something about this subject.

I have a simple question. Is it true that a synthetic oil can run at higher temperatures (over 250-300+ degrees) and still protect your engine whereas the Dino oil becomes too thin at those temps to actually protect the engine?

My brand new Harley was running at 290-300+ and I was freaking out because it had Dino in it. Did I worry needlessly?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2012 | 02:15 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by deuce40s

Either way, my bike struggles to reach 200 degrees even in traffic. Normally it sits between 160-190. I use synthetics.
That's amazing, and hard to believe. A good, water-cooled automotive engine is normally above 200 degrees. I would check that gauge/tool. I'm really curious.

Old 06-21-2012 | 03:50 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I realize anything you read on here needs to be taken with a grain of salt and the bull sh.. can get very deep but August Hot Bike had a article on Performance Oiling. They stated Synthetic oil will make a Harley run 15-25 degrees cooler. Now boys, Hot Bike is the bible (note little b) But to me that's like saying bottle water is wetter then the water out of the tap. WHAT DO YOU THINK? No bull.. what we need is a real engineer's view. How bout you DR, Masters and Professors -- no Shus or Dickies allowed..... I want it to be perfectly clear. Do not want just another shady oil thread here.
Common sense says no. JASO certified oils though have a much lower volitility rating so will withstand the heat better though.

Old 06-21-2012 | 05:32 AM
mcw999
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Same analog thermometer in both bikes at same conditions one day apart. Changed to syn and seen a 15-20 degree drop. The only variable was the oil change. I did it and seen the results with my own eyes. All the proof I needed but this post is the only convincing that I will bother with. Your bike, run what you want. I really don't care much.
Did the same with an 07 FLHTC. Dip stick temp gauge showed a 15-20 degree drop, with the only change being a switch from regular HD oil to Syn3. Just one bike, one set of observations. Your experience may be different but that's what I saw.

Old 06-21-2012 | 07:17 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcw999
Did the same with an 07 FLHTC. Dip stick temp gauge showed a 15-20 degree drop, with the only change being a switch from regular HD oil to Syn3. Just one bike, one set of observations. Your experience may be different but that's what I saw.
My LED dipstick showed the same thing. There was a definite drop in oil temp, same outside temp, same road and same distance ridden, exactly the same.
Bike ran the same and sounded the same so I don,t think syn oil adds to performance in any way, just makes it less hot. That's a good thing when you are riding in 100 degree plus temps all day long cause these bikes run hot enough already.

Old 06-21-2012 | 07:36 AM
deuce40s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
That's amazing, and hard to believe. A good, water-cooled automotive engine is normally above 200 degrees. I would check that gauge/tool. I'm really curious.
It's just a standard analog temp gauge. As far as ambient temps go, mine runs much cooler than a buddy's sportster based on the fact his will roast my peanuts at a stop light while mine feels more like a warm blow.

In the winter, it runs almost too cool at 150. It's a big inch Ultima, so we may be comparing apples to unicorns. I doubt there can be that much of a difference though with the same general design and components.

Old 06-21-2012 | 07:55 AM
Rooke
Advanced

Have been watching my oil level and temperature with the digital dip stick and noting the temps with two up versus riding alone especially with the hot weather for the last couple of weeks. My Fat Boy was running hot (IMO) between 240 and 260 on two up and even higher if a lot of in- town stop-go riding.

Yesterday, I took her to the stealership for an oil change and went with Synthetic.

Temp on the guage was 219 when I pulled her in the garage. I'll keep watching.

On another note, the typical "popping on decel" seemed less too, but maybe thats just my hearing going bad

Old 06-21-2012 | 07:58 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dfndr
Good thread. Obviously, some people know something about this subject.

I have a simple question. Is it true that a synthetic oil can run at higher temperatures (over 250-300+ degrees) and still protect your engine whereas the Dino oil becomes too thin at those temps to actually protect the engine?

My brand new Harley was running at 290-300+ and I was freaking out because it had Dino in it. Did I worry needlessly?

Thanks.
This is an excerpt from my first post in this thread, which refers back to the Nightryder website. The test mentioned is for determining oil viscosity retention of various brands; the results speak for themselves.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

Last edited by hdgzr; 06-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2012 | 12:01 PM
teflon
Road Captain

Say what you want use Amsoil and got 10 degree's. Now so i'm clear i've been a racecar mech. for 20+ years, yes its cleaner, yes it reduces friction, disipates heat better, breaks down at much higher temps. All that translates to cooler engines, and i will add, engines using it are in way better shape at tear down!!! So tell me does it help, i say yes sir no doubt. We have used this Castrol "house" oil developed for F1 teams, UNFREAKIN BELIEVABLE stuff. But its so controlled it has to go back to them after use lol. Drop in temps, steadier pressure at all rpm's, less internal drag and a way better shear number. Teflon

Old 06-21-2012 | 12:25 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Thanks man..not sure how long that's been that way. Least it didn't have two 'oo' in it. The whip lady did not like my add in there a few months back and deleted it. May have did it then. Like your helmet, you and I are the only two Harley riders I know who wear one.
Good place to add here that I do not believe and lowers temperature. Load and speed does and outside temperature. Once mine runs around 220 or so at 95 outside temperature and I have seen the oil at 160 degrees on the save type of ride at 35 degrees outside temperature. Of course unlike the newer ones mine has no type of thermostat or oil cooler
Nice Man!! Cannot beat the Shoei in my book!! I miss my Deuce too by the way.

Quick Reply: Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler