General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 01:44 PM
Jackie Paper
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Well said hdgzr. Do know oil can sneak out of places that water stays in. So maybe those golf ***** are making more contact to remove heat then the beach *****.

Old 06-20-2012 | 02:23 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
This answer is close but still some fiction is included.
Synthetic oils aren't man made. They are made from crude oil,broken down into its basic parts then recombined.
Secondly synthetic oils last longer because of their level of purity. For example a group 3 basestock is considered synthetic in north America due to it's level of refinement. It uses hydrogen bubbled through the crude to eliminate impurities such as aromatic parafins
They may not be man-made, but certainly "man-handled"; as they're not fractionated and put back together with additive packages on their own.

Old 06-20-2012 | 02:28 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by DresserDude
I run synthetic because it can withstand more extreme situations.

Ripsaw, I think you don't want Norman POPPING you, not poping you.
Off subject, but a random Poping might not be a bad thing. You know there's that whole living in the Vatican thing to be considered. : ) Sorry, I had too. Resume...

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-20-2012 | 02:33 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
Did you copy this from the mobil1 web site? It's an interesting story about the molecule size and heat transfer and all that, but it's just a story. If that were true, which I don't believe, the difference would be negligible. Besides in the end, the vast majority of the heat of the engine is a product of the combustion of the fuel. Only a small percentage is due to friction. The whole argument about synthetic is slipperier is a line of bunk that the synthetic oil companies want the consumer to believe.

Stick with the manual is the best advice. Dino oil is all the engineers at HD call for.
No I didn't. And I don't advocate the use of one over the other; as I've used both Dino and Syn. And you're certainly correct as combustion temps are a major factor, but not the only one; ambient temps and friction do come into play. And with oil used as both cooling and lubrication, temp increase from heat transfer will occur.

Old 06-20-2012 | 03:40 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior

? For the folks that used both. Can you tell if there is a difference in the way your bike runs?
I done this with my car and didn't notice any difference reading the temperate gauge.

Old 06-20-2012 | 03:53 PM
TyeAdair
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
? For the folks that used both. Can you tell if there is a difference in the way your bike runs?
I done this with my car and didn't notice any difference reading the temperate gauge.
That's because your car is liquid cooled, ever heard of a thermostat?

Old 06-20-2012 | 05:52 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
I've never noticed any difference in temps as I didn't have a gauge. I did notice a difference in the appearance of internal components during engine work between periods of dino versus syn usage. The biggest difference I found was in switching the transmission fluid from dino to syn.

Old 06-20-2012 | 07:49 PM
45calibertranslator
Cruiser

Switched from HD Syn 3 to Mobil 1 V-Twin last summer. Like the Mobil 1 better and it's cheaper. As far as the temps go, I've never measured on mine. My little sister rides a Sporty that has the dipstick with the temp gauge and it seems to run a little cooler. I've used Mobil 1 in both my truck and my car since I've owned them (bought both with 70K on the odometer)and both have over 200k on them right now. I'm a believer.

Old 06-20-2012 | 11:04 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Same analog thermometer in both bikes at same conditions one day apart. Changed to syn and seen a 15-20 degree drop. The only variable was the oil change. I did it and seen the results with my own eyes. All the proof I needed but this post is the only convincing that I will bother with. Your bike, run what you want. I really don't care much.

Old 06-20-2012 | 11:25 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

no

Quick Reply: Does Synthetic oil really make a Harley run cooler