General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Full Face Helmets

I've been doing some thinking....been a lot of bike & ATV wrecks in my area lately. There have been 2 ATV wrecks in the last 2 weeks & both riders were killed due severe head trauma & neither were wearing a helmet.

SO...got me thinking about my melon. I currently wear a Skull Crush beanie, which I love & also have an HJC 3/4 helmet which is just ok, but I'm considering getting a full face helmet for my protection. In my younger days, I never wore a helmet for several reasons but as I have gotten older I have started wearing a helmet all the time, now considering going another step & getting a full face.

My question is, does anybody have any recommendations for a full face helmet in the $150-$300 range. I've been looking at the Scorpion EXO-700 helmet & it looks like a nice helmet for the $ & it's also SNELL rated. I've also looked at the Bell arrow helmet, which is cheaper, but not sure about comfort/quality. Reviews are good on both, just looking at all options.

I don't need any recommendations for $600 or $700 helmets because I'm not going to spend that kind of $. I have a budget, if I didn't I would buy a Shoei.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

I'm really into modular helmets when needed- I like the versatility.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Hawk-Helm...th/336165.html

Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I also wear a modular, with sliding sun screen

Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
michaelm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a reason $300 doesn't get you top of the line...
Try a Shoei or Arai. You'll notice the difference immediately. For something you use every day, it's well worth the extra to buy the best.

Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

What about the weight with a modular helmet? I want to keep the weight down + I have neck problems anyway.

carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I have the HJC CL-SP and like it. Not modular. Shop around, prices vary quite a bit.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM
nightroddersp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like my module.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually wear a Skid Lid, but lately I've been using/enjoying a Bell Revolver modular full-face and the more I wear it, the more I like it. It is very comfy & not excessively heavy, has the drop-down shade which is great cause I go to work in the dark & come home in light so I don't have to worry about carrying clears & shades. Probably the reason I like it best of all is BUGS. I cross over the Tennessee River in the am and when I get to work in my Skid Lid, my face looks like I have the pox, from the bug strikes. Much more enjoyable letting the Revolver take the bug strikes. I will say that Bell seems to run a size small. I've always worn a med in HJC & other brands, & had to send the med Revolver back & get a large.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
What about the weight with a modular helmet? I want to keep the weight down + I have neck problems anyway.
Modular helmets are heavier and noisier than a FF.
I still love my N104. It's lighter and less noisy than the N102 it replaced.
Being able to ride around town with it flipped up and being able to talk without yelling at stops is a bonus to me.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm now looking at the HJC IS-16 & the Bell Vortex FF helmets...anyone have any experience with either one of those?
The HJC IS 16 has all kinds of good reviews, especially when it comes to ventillation + it also has an internal tinted flip down visor in addition to the clear external...this seems to be a big +.

I might add...another reason I'm wanting to go FF is that I normally ride with a HD SS windshield...had windshields on my last 2 bikes, but I've decided I like riding much more without the windshield since I took it off for cleaning this weekend & rode without it afterwards & man I loved it off! Looks better plus I didn't notice how much buffeting the windshield causes until it was off, but it did keep the bugs & road debris off ya.
Like the looks of my bike much better with it off also.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmets