General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LilMsRida
I have a 3/4 hjc and since I am suc a "newb" I bought the nolan n90 modular....love both of them...did alot of youtube and sirfing on the net for fits and videos on the stats, etc...love them both....will eventually build up to skid lid but need to get the "ridin" down pat first....before my head can be "cleared" lol
I have an HJC 3/4 with a pull down visor...I think it's an IS-2 maybe.
Descent lid & fairly comfy. Looks like a gigantic mushroom on my head though & it does have that lift feeling at speed. I never wear it since I got my Skull Crush beanie. Hope my Bell FF works out. I'm gonna sell the HJC, but I'll never get rid of my SC.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 AM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like webike world for reviews, they wear them and pull no punches from what I see. I did notice if you wear polarized glasses, one shield down was fine, but when I put the shield and the sun shield down I had distortion from looking through two layers. By the time you are looking through 2 shields and the windshield it is quite the show. I will second the lower price on the older helmets, but make sure you don't get a helmet new in 2007, sat on the shelf since then. I got a Shoei like that, and the seller didn't care. In the end, what you get for the money IMHO, is comfort and quiet.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 PM
98XL1200C
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Bell Vortex. A step above the Arrow and worth it.
http://www.revzilla.com/bell-vortex-helmets

Old 06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Phantom6722
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I've been doing some thinking....been a lot of bike & ATV wrecks in my area lately. There have been 2 ATV wrecks in the last 2 weeks & both riders were killed due severe head trauma & neither were wearing a helmet.

SO...got me thinking about my melon. I currently wear a Skull Crush beanie, which I love & also have an HJC 3/4 helmet which is just ok, but I'm considering getting a full face helmet for my protection. In my younger days, I never wore a helmet for several reasons but as I have gotten older I have started wearing a helmet all the time, now considering going another step & getting a full face.

My question is, does anybody have any recommendations for a full face helmet in the $150-$300 range. I've been looking at the Scorpion EXO-700 helmet & it looks like a nice helmet for the $ & it's also SNELL rated. I've also looked at the Bell arrow helmet, which is cheaper, but not sure about comfort/quality. Reviews are good on both, just looking at all options.

I don't need any recommendations for $600 or $700 helmets because I'm not going to spend that kind of $. I have a budget, if I didn't I would buy a Shoei.
Try Nolan helmets, reasonable price with removal chin-guard gives best of both worlds. That’s my helmet of choice.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
warrick
Banned

I have an HJC 3/4 with a pull down visor...I think it's an IS-2 maybe.
Descent lid & fairly comfy. Looks like a gigantic mushroom on my head though & it does have that lift feeling at speed. I never wear it since I got my Skull Crush beanie. Hope my Bell FF works out. I'm gonna sell the HJC, but I'll never get rid of my SC.
I have a skullcrush beanie and a Bell Star FF. I love both helmets. I am thinking of adding a SC 3/4 to round out the line.

I saw a guy posted on one of these forms recently that went down wearing a skullcrush and he was ok I believe, good to hear.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 PM
risinoutlaw
Advanced

Got a white shoei qwest. It's super comfortable, and the white color helps reflect some of the heat off my head (Tucson summers are real scorchers.)

Old 06-23-2012, 12:40 PM
09FLHT
Banned

I hate helmets. I shopped and shopped for a full face when I wanted to buy one. I have been wearing 2x helmets forever. I have a 6 year old KBC modular I got when they first came out. Heavy, noisy and uncomfortable. I could not find a helmet I could fit on my melon. I wound up with a Cyclegear store brand Bilt called the racer. It was the only one I could find that fit. It was 59$
I was surprised how comfortable it is.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
heshua
Cruiser

I have one of Harley's modular helmets with the sun shade that slides down. I LOVE that factor. (sun)glasses don't fit well for me inside helmets, and changing shields is a pain. I leave in the daylight and come home in the dark. I cant really take the other shield with me. However, mine took some getting used to. The wind blowing on it is more significant than I imagined. And turning your head to look at things can feel scary at times. The wind feels like it wants to take your head right off when looking anywhere but straight sometimes. But once my neck muscles got used to it, it's not so bad.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I have wondered this as well...I would think looking through 2 shields is gonna cause some kind of distortion.
I have the HJC IS-16 and don't notice any distortion with the inner shield down. Its not super dark, if want that I put my sun glasses on after i put the helmet on. Its very comfortable for me, but it has a bit more wind noise than my old crappy Bell helmet, but it feels a lighter and has better airflow with the vents open. I'd recommend it, for what I paid for it: $150

Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 PM
NevadaNick
Cruiser

I wear Arai. We went to get my wife a helmet and had her try on Arai and Shoei and the Shoei fit her better, just the opposite of me. I think it's imperative that a person tries on different brands.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmets