General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

"I wear Arai. We went to get my wife a helmet and had her try on Arai and Shoei and the Shoei fit her better, just the opposite of me. I think it's imperative that a person tries on different brands."

Very good point.

My last two helmets have been Shoei "X-series" (X-9 and then X-SP). They both fit the same, in fact I ordered the X-SP "untried" and took a chance. I was all ready to order a new Shoei X-12, assuming it would fit, as well.

In the meantime, I had been looking at Arais.

I stopped at a Honda dealer, just browsing around, and they actually had a Shoei X-12. Tried it on, and -- for some reason, just not the "right" fit anymore. VERY glad I didn't order one unseen.

Yet, I was able to find a new Arai Signet-q that fits perfectly. So looks like I'm going to be switching brands this time.

Earlier in this thread, someone put up a very useful link from webbikeworld that identifies helmets by "head shape", and helps one narrow the selection down.

I believe that Arai is one of the few (only?) helmet manufacturers that offers different models designed for different head shapes. I seem to do better using a "narrow" or "long oval" type helmet, which is what their Signet-q shape is.

I had to search around a while before I was "sure". I would recommend that to anyone thinking about a full face in particular. It's worth spending money for a great helmet like an Arai, but if it hurts to wear it…. you probably won't.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,161 Likes on 3,674 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustell
I am very interested in this helmet but have yet to find one to try on for size... i have a pronounced chin and the only modular i can wear and have enough space for my CB microphone is the Fulmer Modus...

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
TruIslander
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you got your FF just yet but I just picked up a Shoei Quest and it was just a bit over 300, but well worth the money. I've been told that the Vortex is a very loud helmet and I had a Scorpion and those things are SUPER heavy! Hope this helps.