General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What doesn't kill you...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012 | 06:44 AM
Niagara
|
Novice
Default What doesn't kill you...

I like to talk to other riders about experiences on the road, their crashes, what they look out for etc. mostly to learn from their experiences.

I was run off the road on my way to Biketoberfest in 08 and was taught a good lesson when riding with someone else. We were in the passing lane and i was behind my buddy. There was a tractor-trailer we were appoaching. As he just got ahead of the rear of the trailer, the SUV that was behind the trailer never looked and took out my lane. She prolly assumed that my buddy was the only bike and just was too impatient to get around the truck.

What I learned was to NEVER get in a situation of a cager not knowing you are there. Well...at the least make it a obvious as possible anyways. Either I straggle behind the bike in front while getting into a position that a cage can see me until I can at least get in a position to be ahead of the cage.

Would really like to hear about other's experiences that made big impressions.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:00 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Yup. I've read it probably a hundred times here on the forum...always assume everyone is trying to kill you.

You made it home alive, you did your job.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:05 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

Accidents suck... The End.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:20 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Yup. I've read it probably a hundred times here on the forum...always assume everyone is trying to kill you.

You made it home alive, you did your job.
+1.......Ride like they all are trying to kill you and you'll do fine.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:24 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't assume a cage sees ya. Assume they see you and are trying to kill you

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:27 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

I wish it were that easy... I am in the process of relearning to walk. Titanium, permanently, in my foot and leg. My new sled should be delivered this week BTW.

Both of my serious accidents were situations I had no control of.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger... And stranger. ~ Unknown.

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
+1.......Ride like they all are trying to kill you and you'll do fine.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:29 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member

Trust no one. No one on the road is my friend. Even though they clearly look my way at an intersection, they're going to pull out in front of me at the last second anyway. I had a serious wreck in 04 over **** like this and I damned near met my maker over it. I was on a highway at the time so it wasn't a low speed thing unfortunately. Since then I've made it a habit to keep as much distance as possible between me and everyone else and I always expect the worst from every driver around me. Especially the ones riding my *** or at an intersection.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:35 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I learned to never underestimate the stupidity of a cager. I have had pickup trucks signal right, start swinging out like they were making a right turn with a trailer (when they don't have a trailer), and then they make a left!

People probably think I am paranoid, but I will use any space available to me to
give me a bigger margin of error.
Ride like your invisible.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:36 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

I try to not let the cars box me in so I stay in their blind side. What I really hate are the drivers that when you try to pass them on a multi-lane road, they speed up so they stay right off your back wheel...seems like it always has to be some kind of a challenge, a bike vs. anything else...

Rant over.

Old 06-19-2012 | 09:26 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I ride with my thumb on the horn and forefingers on the brake lever in traffic. I also have an air horn. Hitting the horn immediately can stop a car from interloping into your lane before you're in trouble.

Quick Reply: What doesn't kill you...