General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What doesn't kill you...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012 | 10:02 AM
gambler
Road Captain

I know some people hate them, but I swear by my headlight modulator. EVERY time I am out riding I have someone stop for a second look at this strange flashing light heading their way...probably want to make sure it is not a cop they are about to pull in front of. Every little bit helps.

Old 06-19-2012 | 03:46 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdgzr
I try to not let the cars box me in so I stay in their blind side. What I really hate are the drivers that when you try to pass them on a multi-lane road, they speed up so they stay right off your back wheel...seems like it always has to be some kind of a challenge, a bike vs. anything else...

Rant over.
i go through that almost every day i ride. when it happens, i just hit the throttle hard and get ahead of them fast enough that they will slow down to their 'normal' 5-10mph below the speed limit, and then let off on the throttle. i think they are really totally oblivious and don't realize they are speeding up.

i know one day, i will get picked by a cop for going too fast. hopefully, i can 'talk' my way out of a ticket by explaining that i was just trying to get far enough away from some dumb idiot and then was gonna slow down to legal speeds again.

Old 06-19-2012 | 04:17 PM
Blackfly
Road Master

Some cars can apply the brakes automatically at a certain distance already. Maybe they should all do it by law. Nothing worse than someone two car lengths behind at sixty mph. If you have to brake or slip on rain, sand, they kill you. And for nothing, they're going the same speed 150 feet back or in your death zone.

Old 06-19-2012 | 05:29 PM
dstonemega
Tourer

I don't think the "everybody is trying to kill you" advice is very good. Doesn't make much sense actually.

If I actually rode like everybody was trying to kill me, I'd be zipping in and out alley's, flying through parks and stuff trying to get away from everybody. Dumb advice.

How about just having situational awareness. Pay attention.

Old 06-19-2012 | 09:33 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dstonemega
I don't think the "everybody is trying to kill you" advice is very good. Doesn't make much sense actually.

If I actually rode like everybody was trying to kill me, I'd be zipping in and out alley's, flying through parks and stuff trying to get away from everybody. Dumb advice.

You stay alive your way and I'll use my way....

Old 06-19-2012 | 09:40 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

LMAO... Can you write, "carried away?"

Better to be safe than sorry, and I have encountered some cagers that seemed as if they just don't give a F.

It makes perfect sense so long as it is taken in perspective.

Originally Posted by dstonemega

Old 06-19-2012 | 09:43 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Friction Zone. It's a free mag available at local dealers. Don't know how wide spread it is yet but every month there is an article entitled "On the scene." It details a bike accident/wreck.

If you want to learn to be a better safer rider then I'd recommend reading it. It's also online.

Old 06-19-2012 | 09:55 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Talking

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
I wish it were that easy... I am in the process of relearning to walk. Titanium, permanently, in my foot and leg. My new sled should be delivered this week BTW.

Glad you're getting better.

Both of my serious accidents were situations I had no control of.

Sometimes that happens and there's not a dang thing you can do about it, but good situational awareness can go a long way toward avoiding being in that wrong place at the wrong time.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger... And stranger. ~ Unknown.
I like the version : What doesn't kill you makes you damn glad it didn't kill you"

Old 07-06-2012 | 09:40 PM
Niagara
|
Novice

I like the thumb on horn idea. The friction zone looks like a great read....

Last edited by Niagara; 07-06-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I wanted to add.
Old 07-07-2012 | 02:08 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

The idiots in the cages will sure nuff do ya in!

BUT, don't forget about Mother Natures little darlings The Deer.

They will not only run out in front of you, when they get scared they will run OVER you and your Bike! We have so many Deer down here, I won't ride at night anymore.

Quick Reply: What doesn't kill you...