General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 AM
ibezubu45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road etiquette

is it improper ridin behavior to pass another bike rider on his right hand side while sharing a lane. i passed a guy tonight and he seemed annoyed(reached for something) as if i was out to get him. he is a member of some club. just curious if im in the wrong dont want to get shot or anything just wanted to get moving...

Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 AM
wmnrider
Intermediate

Personally, I would never pass a rider while sharing their lane, unless that rider was a someone I knew and was aware I coming.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

No you should never pass another rider in the same lane, not very safe at all.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:29 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would never pass another ride on the right or left while in the same lane.... unless I was riding with them. I would think it would be common sense not to do that.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 AM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I would think it would be common sense
That went the way of the Dodo in the last decade!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,954 Likes on 4,700 Posts

Pass another biker like you would a cage, to the left in the other lane. The exception is if you're motioned to pass.

I wouldn't worry about getting shot, that's just silly. Our biggest complaint while riding a motorcycle are the inconsiderate drivers out there. We need to look out for each other.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 AM
ibezubu45
Cruiser
Default well

i left out the fact that we were approaching(coming to a red light) almost stopped so we werent travelling very fast i do admit it startled him but he knew i was on his side...

Old 06-16-2012, 03:43 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I would not pass a bike or car on the right on a two lane road unless the vehicle was stopped and signaling a left turn.

I don't believe in passing a rider on the left either in the same lane however recently three bikes pulled out in front of me on a two lane road and the back one moved way over to the right and kept signaling for me to pass him even though other bikes were approaching so I eased on by him on the left in the same lane. The next biker did the same so I eased on by him on the left. At that point the front rider gave me the finger while I was behind him. I suppose he felt that I was breaking into his riding group and did not realize I had been waved around by the previous two riders. I would not have passed the other two riders in the same lane if they had not waved me around with their hand down low like they really wanted me to pass them. All three were going pretty slow. This was on a weekend with a lot of tourist bikes riding around Luchenbach, TX. I controlled my impulse and did not give the bird to the azzhole in front as I passed him. We were all on Harleys by the way. And no they were not members of a motorcycle club.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 06-16-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,908 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by ibezubu45
is it improper ridin behavior to pass another bike rider on his right hand side while sharing a lane. i passed a guy tonight and he seemed annoyed(reached for something) as if i was out to get him. he is a member of some club. just curious if im in the wrong dont want to get shot or anything just wanted to get moving...
Definitely not cool. Just curious...what kind of road were you on?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ibezubu45
Did you ask him about it, might have been something totally unrelated. I say that because you said he is in your "Club". My good riding buddies and I will pass all the time messing around but Never with a stranger.

Quick Reply: road etiquette