General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012 | 05:27 PM
Brian6325
|
Advanced
Default Switchback

Yesterday I went to my Harley dealer to see if they were running the same special that they were last year for tires since I need a new front tire. If you bought a Dunlop tire they would install it for free on the motorcycle. It was cheaper then anywhere else. Well I saw they had a 2000 Road Glide Custom and it was a good price. So I tried to work out a deal trading in my Super Glide for that bike. Well they would not approve me, but I got a call they approved me for a new Switchback. They could not get me on a Softail or a Touring bike which is really what I want. To me it makes no sense that they will approve me for a lot more expensive Dyna then a cheaper used Softail or Touring bike.

Right now keeping my Super Glide I have a warranty on it till April of 2014, it would be less of a payment, and a bike I know I like. My big hesitation with the Switchback is, I don't know if it would be that big of a difference from my Super Glide. I really want a bike that will be a lot better for touring then my Super Glide, right now my max amount of miles for a day is about 200.

My question for any Switchback riders is, is it a good touring bike that you can do 300-400 miles on it a day? I just don't want to trade in my Super Glide for something that is a lot more expensive and have pretty much the same bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 06-15-2012 | 05:39 PM
HDTide
Tourer

The Switchback is a nice bike and can be ridden comfortably for 3-400 miles, yes. Would it be as comfortable as a Softail? No, but it will be a better ride than what you have now. You have to make the budget decision for yourself.

As far as being approved for the used bike, it has to do with how the bike books out for the bank. For instance, they may approve you for 80% of book value. If the dealer is selling at 100% of book, you have to make up the remaining 20% plus taxes, title and fees.

Old 06-15-2012 | 06:46 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

If your max mileage for a day is about 200 on the bike pictured then you are limited by yourself not the bike. You probably will not see a large increase regardless of model.

Old 06-15-2012 | 10:39 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
If your max mileage for a day is about 200 on the bike pictured then you are limited by yourself not the bike. You probably will not see a large increase regardless of model.

I agree. 200 miles is a "short ride" for me now days. But of course, I have a Road King.

IMHO, the Switchback is no different than your SG, except for a little more power, and the convenience of the windshield and bags that are quickly removed to portray it in a different light. Comfort wise, I doubt it'd be any more comfortable than what you have.

Keep what you have, and save up about 20-30% of the cost for a new bike to use as a down payment. Then get what you truly want, a touring bike.

Old 06-15-2012 | 11:25 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
+1. The FXDXT is a Dyna Super Glide. For the last four years, I have left home the day after Labor Day for a 12 to 14 day trip. I average 450 miles a day on this trip, some days riding only 300 miles and some days riding as much as 600 miles. Last year, during a trip to Florida, I rented a Street Glide for 2 days and put 800 miles on it. The only thing I liked better than my Dyna was the cruise control which is nice on the long rides. If you are only able to ride 200 miles a day, the bike isn't the problem.
PS: Not trying to start an arguement with Strreet Glide owners. I just happen to prefer my Dyna. To each his own

Old 06-15-2012 | 11:29 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

I've sat on the Switchback and all I can say is that it has bout the most comfortable stock seat this *** has ever felt...

Old 06-16-2012 | 05:17 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

save your coins and get a Road king classic you won't be sorry.

Old 06-16-2012 | 05:44 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

Big Dyna fan here, I agree with those who say it's you not the bike, I've put many days well over 200 on mine without even thinking about it. But, that said, I now have both a touring bike and a Dyna, when I know I'm doing over 200 miles in a day the Dyna sits in the garage every time.
The Switchback has a front end unlike any other Dyna, there might be a difference in that which would make it even better on long rides, dunno. I think Harley missed the mark with the tiny saddlebags on them. Just my opinion.

Old 06-16-2012 | 05:52 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Switch back is not a bad ride for many.
However if you even need approval maybe a good idea to hang on to what you have save some cash and buy what you want latter with out anyone's approval.
The only thing worst than settling on a new ride for something that is not want you want is settling for a ride you don't really want.

Old 06-16-2012 | 07:03 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

older bikes have lower loan values, dealers like selling new bikes, any bike without a loan note will ride better on long trips.

Quick Reply: Switchback