General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012 | 07:04 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Originally Posted by 6 gun
save your coins and get a Road king classic you won't be sorry.
Agreed. Forget the RQ and go with the RK.

Old 06-16-2012 | 10:51 AM
Brian6325
|
Advanced

I should have been more specific on the 200 mile thing. I have ridden over 300 miles in a day, but after 200 it starts to get uncomforable. Also I really don't stop and take brakes as much as I should.

I did go to the dealer and ride a Switchback today. It is a nice bike, but I can not justify more then doubling my payments for a bike I am not crazy about. Yes it does ride nice and has a ton of power, but it just did not give me that I have to have this feeling. Right now I will keep my Super Glide which I do like very much and save till I can get a Road King or Road Glide. I was not thinking about trading in my Super Glide because I don't like it, I just wanted to step up to a bigger touring bike. At the end of the day it just did not make a lot of sense to get the Switchback. Plus by the end of the year I can have the Super Glide payed off and not have a payment at all.

Old 06-16-2012 | 10:57 AM
Housegoat
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
any bike without a loan note will ride better on long trips.

Old 06-16-2012 | 12:30 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

I suggest you take a road king for a test drive if you haven't.. Great bike, but very heavy. Not positive I'd want it around town every day (although I'm still thinking about it). Switchback splits the difference pretty well IMHO.

Old 06-16-2012 | 05:59 PM
Tackleberry209
Intermediate

Have you thought about trying out some different saddles? I haven't had the opportunity to ride that long on my Wide Glide yet, but I used to do regular trips on my '07 V-Star 1300 that were well over 350+ miles a day. The stock seat was horrible, so I canned the stock seat for a Mustang seat and it completely changed the comfort factor and the amount of miles I could go. The stock seat on my Wide Glide is really comfy IMO, so we will see when it comes to long rides. Of course the Harley is multitudes more comfortable than my crotch rockets that I have been riding the past few years (Yamaha R1, CBR929RR). I had to get back on a cruiser and wanted an American bike.

Old 06-16-2012 | 06:06 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Brian6325
Yesterday I went to my Harley dealer to see if they were running the same special that they were last year for tires since I need a new front tire. If you bought a Dunlop tire they would install it for free on the motorcycle. It was cheaper then anywhere else. Well I saw they had a 2000 Road Glide Custom and it was a good price. So I tried to work out a deal trading in my Super Glide for that bike. Well they would not approve me, but I got a call they approved me for a new Switchback. They could not get me on a Softail or a Touring bike which is really what I want. To me it makes no sense that they will approve me for a lot more expensive Dyna then a cheaper used Softail or Touring bike.

Right now keeping my Super Glide I have a warranty on it till April of 2014, it would be less of a payment, and a bike I know I like. My big hesitation with the Switchback is, I don't know if it would be that big of a difference from my Super Glide. I really want a bike that will be a lot better for touring then my Super Glide, right now my max amount of miles for a day is about 200.

My question for any Switchback riders is, is it a good touring bike that you can do 300-400 miles on it a day? I just don't want to trade in my Super Glide for something that is a lot more expensive and have pretty much the same bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.
If you can only ride 200 on your bike now, I don't see how a touring bike, or any other, will change that.

Not sure what you are expecting. The touring bikes will provide more comport for a passenger, but I don't think its going to matter much to you.

I rode 400 miles in a day on my sporty. It's the same with my StreetGlide I have now. 400-450 miles seems to be MY max for a day - comfortably. The make of bike I am on does not effect this one bit.

Old 06-17-2012 | 06:31 PM
nferr
Road Master

Just did 300 today on my Wide Glide. Had no problem at all. With a windshield and bags your Super Glide is almost the same thing as a Switchback anyway.

Old 06-17-2012 | 06:59 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

A touring bike is not a short term investment, unless you're fickle!!! Switchback is a fine machine, but is it what you really want. Speaking from experience, save some coin, bide a little time and get what you want. You won't regret it...

Old 06-17-2012 | 07:32 PM
09FLHT
Banned

To me the switchback looks like a harley trying to imitate a jap cruiser trying to imitate a Road King.
Anyone else? Or is it just me?

Old 06-17-2012 | 08:01 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
To me the switchback looks like a harley trying to imitate a jap cruiser trying to imitate a Road King.
Anyone else? Or is it just me?

Just goes to show how much the metrics try to imitate Harley. Harley does not imitate the metrics, and never have.