General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veteran patch??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Iron Butt Springer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hatchetman
MC's are not "Gangs"! Weather you like it or you don't, you share the road with various MC's & they have certain protocols that you don't mess with. Most MC's recognize Veteran patches as non territorial & they respect Veterans more than other forms of associations.
Go to their local watering hole without wearing your cut, take a pic of your 2 piece with you & using respect, Ask them if it's offensive to them.
If you got the mud to go to them, they will show some respect back!
You cant pull over a local smokey & ask for help, You might think it's chicken poop to have to do this but it is your only choice!
Do it right, let them know that you have no interest in territory, drugs, hookers etc just so they know your patch is a reflection of your military pride & where your from!
I have a veterans patch, It sais Veterans on the top, Canada on the bottom with the UN NATO crest in the middle. The local dom here is o.k. with it because respect was shown when we asked for their approval.
welcome to "The life"!
Hatch.

Way to go brother....

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

This has been a fun read!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not even sure who the main club here is, guess HA or maybe LDMC ? Who knows anymore. When I was stationed in Corpus a small (15 guys) were hassled for having the same Navy patch on the lower left of our safety vests (you know the type). I wouldn't even think of being in a MC, maybe RC because that is about riding not all this SOA fad stuff.

Before anyone gives me the lecture, to the OP do what you want, but I can tell you as the nephew of a Uncle who is a patch holder to a MAJOR MC its a lifestyle that can put a lot more then just your 9 to 5 at risk. There is a reason why they do what they do.

If your military and want to ride with your buddies & run a "squadron patch" make it a RC. This isn't about trying to get around the "traditions" of a MC, but I know I can't jump off ship during watch because I'm prospecting and the club wants me there to clean up the club house.

MC is 100% in or 100% out, no half-*** BS, best of luck with your sit down with the MC.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Does your club have a website?

Our club founder traveled all over the USA to meet with the major clubs to get approval for our colors, patch arrangement, and protocols (each have their own).

http://www.vovma.org/VOVMA.html

It's no different than showing respect to an elder or someone who lives where you do- our public reputation on Harley motorcycles was won by their sacrifice and exploits- we're just inheritors of the reputation by early bike clubs- usually started by veterans.

Most clubs have websites, you can begin by posting on their guestbooks under your club and road name- say hello.

http://www.motorcycleclubsindex.com/...y_Veterans.asp

Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 AM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in a Veterans Association and have been for going on 10 years now... when I joined there weren't many of us. Then this new war happened and HOLY *****! Lots of new potential starts showing up and asking us how they could become part of us. Now there are a LOT of us and we're nation wide and very well respected by the MC world. But it didn't come easy, there was a time where growing pains played a huge part in us keeping this group together and above all we approached the clubs first before we even bothered putting our patches on! (and we're a single piece patch group)
I think in a small way that helped our cause and we did get to know a lot of MC's even though we remained neutral between clubs. They always support our runs and always invite us to their runs and outings.

What many of these squids have no concept of us WHO is out there every day letting the rest of the world know that we as bikers/riders have the same rights they do and who better to represent us than the MC's! They've been doing it for years and has evolved some but not much and for a very good reason, don't fix it if it aint broke!

All clubs members have earned their colors and I give them that respect but like anyone respect goes both ways.

I'm not in the 1% category because I have other **** to do and I can be a selfish ***** so that just was not going to work for me, but I understand their methods and again respect that, it does take a lot to be in a club and you have to get through the prospecting period just to figure that out. I have helped start up the Northwest side of the U.S. for our group and I'm proud of that fact and I'm glad we were well received by the MC's.

Some of you ding dongs may have a problem with territorial clubs, that's on you! If I'm going to take advice it aint gonna be from some flaky start up group that didn't even bother to talk to the local dominants or attempt to attend a COC meeting, that's an education you got coming to you!

As far as I know there are no Vet groups/clubs/associations that 'vouch' for other groups just because they somebody knows somebody. Like was mentioned earlier, don't let your ignorance mess you up, instead of trying to pull a made up club outta your collective asses, go join one and get some perspective... you'd be surprised.
Hell you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some new start up club that disappears quicker than it starts especially when they start putting rockers under their 'colors'. But good luck!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TorturedZen
Our club is made up of 80% military vets. We have 2 piece cuts with state rockers which has caught the attention of the dominant club here. I understand, in their eyes, that is disrespectful as it allegedly claims territory...although we really don't. We are starting to feel some pressure from them to replace the rocker, but I'm hearing that there is a certain specific VETERANs patch that dominant clubs will recognize and, in turn, allow the state rockers to remain.

Is this true and if so, what does this VET patch look like? Or is this BS?
And just to be honest...we did not get their approval before the club was started up. Mainly because we simply weren't aware of such a protocol.

Thanks in advance...

1. If your club is 80% vets, it is NOT a vets club, if you consider 100% of the membership full members.

2. Follow protocol for starting a club. Show respect for all that have been down this path.

3. State rockers usually will not work.

4. Do your homework before you do something that could get you attention you don't want or hurt.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
OkieLongHair
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see lots more "Vet" clubs, enough to where the 1% clubs could worry about what we like, and not the other way around.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieLongHair
I'd like to see lots more "Vet" clubs, enough to where the 1% clubs could worry about what we like, and not the other way around.
Yep...That. I could give a crap what any club says about what I wear...I have the right to wear WTF I want (and do). If you think different (and I don't care WHO you are) come try to take it. After the dust settles and I walk away (I'm gonna...) I'll call in the local FBI (they are experts in wanna be thugs) to clean up. I have done a lot for this great country of ours. Sacrificed WAY more that most...I WILL not be told what to do by those that refuse to follow the laws of this great nation. This is not chest thumping...This is fact...I doubt any real clubs would even care to challenge that. They understand true respect and they know who TRULY runs the roads. It ain't anyone who thinks they are above the law either. Reminds me of one of those prison shows on Discovery channel. They are interviewing the inmates and the inmates are all posturing and telling the interviewers who "really runs this place..." Well, if you run the place, why don't you let yourself out???? FLAME ON...

Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieLongHair

You do realize that two of the "Big 4" are vet founded and have an extremely large veteran membership. The fastest growth in club membership is coming not from the street kids or the TV wannabes but from the tens of thousands of veterans returning from the current worldwide conflicts.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting to see if anyone working for the IRS forms a MC! That would raise a bunch of eye brows and cause much bad feelings lol Everybody would unite against a IRS MC !!

Quick Reply: Veteran patch??