General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veteran patch??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Druid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should remove the territory patch unless you don't mind getting into fights with gang-banger-type MC members who take their "turf" very seriously. Our veterans riding club uses a 3 piece patch but we got approval from the local dominate club and we don't claim territory on the bottom rocker. Save yourself and others problems by doing your homework before starting a group.

Last edited by Druid; 06-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The bond among MC members is not like the bonds most of us are familiar with in our day-to-day, workaday lives. Aside from family members, you and I don't have a common bond with those we spend our time with such that we would lay our lives down for one another. That is, unless you're a cop, or in the service, or in another field of work in which your life is part of the equation.

MCs respect vets and service members because they have similar codes in these regards. MCs don't voice much respect for LEOs, but that's natural because the LEOs are often on the other side of events from the MCs. Still, in principle, LEOs and MCs are a lot more alike than LEOs and you and I, or MCs and you and I...in these regards.

This principle--the duty to lay down your life in defense of your brother--is not something most of us live with on a daily basis. Case in point: Can you imagine relying upon a co-worker to give his/her life for you? Can you imagine them relying upon you for the same thing? This is not something a corporation teaches us. In fact, it teaches something quite different (which is another post).

You (OP) and your friends did not invent MCs. Yet, they exist. They were here before you. They'll be here after you. It doesn't sound like your 'club' bothered to learn anything about them. Thus, it appears it means nothing to you that there is an MC in your locale, the members of which would give their lives for one another. This is the gist of your situation the way I see it.

If in fact you and your crew respect this type of commitment, one in which a brother defends a brother to the death, then the thing for you to do is to take the lead and approach the local MC in order to work your situation out. They will respect you for that. Because once your err was recognized, you will have taken the lead to respect the MC and gain their support for your efforts. They will show you respect in return.

If we have no particular respect for such a 'blood' commitment, or don't want to, or have time to deal with it, and all that goes with it...then we'll need to keep looking for our own 'magic' patch. The one to give us heart. And courage. And commitment...

We are what we respect.

alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 06-16-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprtstr1200
That's the ****ing problem! You don't **** about being in a MC, protocol, or respect and what pisses me off about your post is that you didn't even bother to try to learn any of it! You still don't want to learn, you're just looking for a ****ing work around!

You damn start up MC's **** me the **** off! And take the other clubs name out of your post! Another thing you obviously haven't learned, quit putting other clubs business on the ****ing internet!

I swear it just pisses me off that anyone with 2 friends that ride together has to start a ****ing club because they think it'll make them cool.

Too afraid to go join an established MC because you don't have what it takes to make through prospecting or you just too ****ing lazy! WTF?
Wow...You Sir, are a douche bag...They are Vets (like yourself I believe)...They should wear WTF they want...They earned the right...Any dominant club worth anything SHOULD be cool with that...These guys aren't bad *** boogeymen...They are for the most part, guys that like to ride...Some of us watch way too much TV...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 06-16-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tripn88
Why cant people start an MC. Maybe all the clubs out there dont reflect what he wants for his club. People need to remember, you CANT please everyone. I actually enjoy watching people "try" to be cool. I need entertainment somehow. People also need to man the **** up and take responsibility for their own actions. You gotta pay to play. From wearing a cut, to putting something illegal on your bike. Someone is always out there watching. It could be MCs or LEOs, you show respect youll get respect. Im not saying its ok for you to run a state rocker, but the way you started was wrong. Take Texas for instance, the major MC down there doesnt let anyone run a Texas patch LEOs included. (Im sure there are some special cases.)
Many of the LEO clubs I've seen in Texas where a State rocker ...

As for Vets having to ask permission to wear a State rocker? Why should they have to ask? Vets served this Country in ways many people would never understand. I am a Retired Marine... been in shitty places doing shitty things. I give respect where respect is given... I make no claim to territory, tho I do own a nice piece of Texas .
Motorcycles have always been a large part of my family.. Granddad.. my Father.. many of my Uncles, Cousins etc: All are/were Vets !
All of us in my family have never had a problem with ANY MC that we've come into contact .. still, it would be good to clear up any problems with the dominate MC in your area...

as for Sprtstr1200 ... what a work of art !!! themouth!! said it perfectly!! If something said here makes you mad... deal with it!! ... does you no credit to come across like a *******. Better yet ... Why don't you post here on this forum Exactly what steps should be followed by a up & coming club... you know, just to keep things kosher !

Last edited by HD Jim; 06-16-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Theatan
Tourer

I look up to both groups, but this post is sad.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Bens05FLHPI
Cruiser

Talk to said club take off state rocker and change to a RC. I went threw the same **** last summer with starting a club. An MC sees a new MC weather new new or new to area flying "their" state on it. Yeah they are going to get pissed off cause they think someone is trying to move in on them (territory, profit or what ever) they want them gone. A few friends and I wanted to start a club and went off shitty advice from someone and the dominant club basically said burn your **** or we will for you. We could of changed to a RC but decided out of respect to just get rid of it all

Old 06-16-2012, 01:08 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

This thread highlights precisely why I'd never belong to any MC or club. I don't ask my mommy for permission to do anything, I sure as hell am not going to ask permission to anything else. I don't cowtail to anyone.

If I want or choose to hang out with my friends then I will. I don't need a patch or symbol to do it.

If others choose to do that, then that's them. I know who I will or won't take a bullet for. They know it too. I don't feel the need to advertise it.

I don't think a MC is anything like serving one's country. I'm insulted by the thought of it. My service and motorcycling are not even remotely related. Also, not all of the sailors I served with rode. What should I tell my buddy who doesn't ride? "Sorry, go f_u_k yourself you're not welcome"?

The whole MC and protocol thing is a bunch of drama bullshit. I'll ride alone or whith whom and when I want.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
This thread highlights precisely why I'd never belong to any MC or club. I don't ask my mommy for permission to do anything, I sure as hell am not going to ask permission to anything else. I don't cowtail to anyone.

If I want or choose to hang out with my friends then I will. I don't need a patch or symbol to do it.

If others choose to do that, then that's them. I know who I will or won't take a bullet for. They know it too. I don't feel the need to advertise it.

I don't think a MC is anything like serving one's country. I'm insulted by the thought of it. My service and motorcycling are not even remotely related. Also, not all of the sailors I served with rode. What should I tell my buddy who doesn't ride? "Sorry, go f_u_k yourself you're not welcome"?

The whole MC and protocol thing is a bunch of drama bullshit. I'll ride alone or whith whom and when I want.

Well said !!

Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Word.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

This is in part to why the American Legion Riders do not call themselves an MC or VMC. As Vets we have a common bond and we like to ride. I really dislike the word "poser". If someone likes to ride, that should be enough. As for territory, I spent 25 years serving all 50 states alike. My "territory" runs from sea to shinny sea and I am far from the owner or proprieter of it. The only part I own is the bike I ride. All Vets are my brothers and sisters and I carry no ill will towards another rider for his/her attire, except that I do fell that only Vets should respresent themselves as such. Even then I don't think I'd get too much of an attitude if someone did. Most anyone I know who belong to an MC are decent people and we respect each other, but then they seem to know what it's really about. As I eluded to before, the end on Wild Hogs demonstrates it best. If you're pissed about what someone else is or does, you ought to consider getting on your bike and take a really long ride until you can figure it out!!! There's enough cage-crap to worry about out there without bikers getting into it!!!

Quick Reply: Veteran patch??