General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TP,WOT,MAP,FAR and related tuning questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default TP,WOT,MAP,FAR and related tuning questions.

Just updated Gaugeface and can now see these parameters, what should stock be and what is the meaning of each acronym? Have not rode bike with it yet, but will on fathers day.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 AM
jrcisu79
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TP= throttle position, WOT= wide open throttle, map = fuel map, FAR= fuel to air ratio

Old 06-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrcisu79
TP= throttle position, WOT= wide open throttle, map = fuel map, FAR= fuel to air ratio
MAP stands for Manifold Air Pressure, not fuel map.

WOT usually stands for Wide Open Throttle but if this is on a display of some sort I would guess it doesn't mean that. I would contact Gaugeface for what that may stand for.

TP is a percentage. Thus 50 TP would mean you have your throttle open half way. 100 TP would be full throttle and 0 TP would be idle.

MAP gives you an idea of how hard the engine is working. The closer this number is to 0, the closer the pressure in the manifold is to ambiant and thus the more power the engine is producing. Remember, your engine is a big air pump and in order to draw air in it must be SUCKING it in...a vacuum. A vacuum is usually listed as a negative pressure (-14.7 psi is one bar of vacuum while 14.7 psi is one bar of boost from a turbo or supercharger. 0 psi means atmospheric pressure with no vacuum or boost. Obviously our bikes stock will not see any positive pressure numbers as we don't have superchargers). Note though that Gaugeface may use a different scale to display this information. On my PowerVision, they use a percentage of vacuum so 100 is (assuming) 0 psi and 0 would be -14.7 psi (in the below picture the engine is not running...):

FAR really is dependant on how they represent it. If they do it off an O2 reading it may look different than if they show it as an actual ratio. I'm not sure but I think stock our bikes run around 14.XXX FAR which is pretty lean. Most folks believe that a 13.9XX or so is a better setting for our bikes. However, changing this isn't just a matter of plugging in a new number. The FAR (usually called AFR or Air-Fuel Ratio so double check that FAR is the same as AFR with Gaugeface) is a result, not a setting. Based on the current TP, MAP, RPMs, and VE Table value your FAR will be a certain value. If you change the VE Table value to a larger number then for the same TP, MAP, and RPM you will have the ECM add more fuel than it would have with the lower number.

Last edited by Robotech; 06-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't change any parameters, just like to know what I'm looking at.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts