General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first bike for a very tall rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM
brianp225
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first bike for a very tall rider

in the hopefully near future the wife and I are going to look at used bikes, looking for a bike I will be able to use for a daily ride to work and back. I've heard good things about the super glide for tall riders but is this a new rider friendly bike?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fatbob with the HD Tallboy seat. The stock bars on the Fatbob are a good stretch too.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

All the bikes are new rider friendly, especially slow ones (vs. being acclimated to extreme acceleration). Just learn and use proper technique. Forward controls help a tall rider, check handlebar/hand position. Expect a change may be necessary.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 PM
brianp225
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
All the bikes are new rider friendly, especially slow ones (vs. being acclimated to extreme acceleration). Just learn and use proper technique. Forward controls help a tall rider, check handlebar/hand position. Expect a change may be necessary.
ok, I'm not really looking for anything crazy fast to learn and get experienced with, just a nice affordable harley I can comfortably ride for around town or on a short trip, I love the look of dynas and have heard they're a comfortable ride, is this accurate?

Last edited by brianp225; 06-14-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
AlphaInfinity
Advanced

I am 6'7, just started riding a few months ago. The road king is a great bike. The main problem with being tall is looking too big on most bikes. Anotherm problem is the foot controls being too far back. I would suggest that you sit on lots of bikes and find something comfortabe. If you are s tall as i am, the selection will be limited. Get a touring bike. A tall boy seat on a bike like that will give you about an inch of height and move you two inches back. Dont worry about too much power on these Harleys, respect the bike and you will live. If we were talking about a hayabusa or some kind of sport bike, i would probably try and talk you out of that kind of power.

i would also suggest buying used. Do lots of research and talk to people that know motorcycles. If you are tall AND heavy, I would highly suggest at least a 96. The nice thing about harley? You will have no problem finding chaps, jackets and most other clothing. They make clothes for us big guys.

Good luck.

Last edited by AlphaInfinity; 06-15-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 PM
brianp225
Stage IV

I guess knowing my height might help,im 6'2''

Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One consideration for comfort, depending on stature, is seat height.

This lists them:
http://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycle_seat_heights.htm

Bottom line is what feels good to you.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brianp225
I thought you said you were tall?

I'm 6'4" myself and fit very comfortably on all the touring bikes.

I ride an Ultra Classic because I do alot of touring, but have always thought the Road King was one of the best 'go anywhere- do anything' bikes Harley makes. Check it out.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 AM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'5" and really love my tour glide. I knew it was right for me when the average height salesman had to tiptoe when he threw a leg over it to show me something! Lol!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by brianp225
As you may have guessed from one of the posts already, 6'2" is not "very tall." There are members here that are 6'4, 6'5", 6'6, 6'7"....

I am 6'2" and 215. My first Harley was a Sportster 1200 Custom (XL1200C). It has forward controls. I had a Sundowner seat on it and it was perfectly comfortable. I did lots of long rides on it and was in the saddle 10-12 hours on some days. No complaints at all.

I now ride a Road King Classic. I actually found the tourers to be a little more cramped than the Sporty. I fixed it with a Tallboy seat.

Bottom line: at 6'2" you can fit on most Harleys. I'd recommend against an 883 just because most larger people end up wanting more power. But other than that, any of them will work with a little tweak here or there for comfort.

Quick Reply: first bike for a very tall rider