General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined HOG today......

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never forget the day i thought i would just tag along with nothing better to do for a welcome (NEW) members and their (NEW) bikes to the local chapter ride (i was in neither category) ...... must of been about 25 or so left the dealership and started off like a swiss clock , on time all in formation with faces like they were on a mission to pillage a village anyways about a mile or so the road marshall cranks it up cos he's in the zone in the English countryside and must have forgot he had 25 brand new riders to the world of Harley behind him anyway i'm playing catch up at the back cos this dude must be clockin 70mph twistin and leanin through the bends OH YEAH what a day to be alive! after about 45 minutes or so he decides it's time to see how they have enjoyed it ... you know first day well i gotta tell ya their faces were priceless you had some that wanted to do it again only this time they wanted to bend time and the others who were in the majority just sat on their bikes or stood by them with an expression that had VACANT POSSESSION written all over it ..... That's why i dont belong to HOG or the local chapter .... Like to do things on my own at my own pace and make my own decision's only me responsible for me!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Oh goody goody peachy keen!

Seems like a lotta kablingy for a patch & a couple pins. But, whatever.
There are many benefits to HOG. You get discounts on parts, towing service, group rides every week, discounts on rental when traveling, etc.
Not a bad group for new or experienced riders looking to ride with others in their local area.
It is what you put into it. Any group of people are going to have their good, bad and ugly.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Oh goody goody peachy keen!

Seems like a lotta kablingy for a patch & a couple pins. But, whatever.
LOL!!!

Ever seen a HOG photographer!?!?! HOLY SHITBALLS that dude/dudette gets a LOT of fugly patches and pins but of course they're proud as hell of em, I think the guy here in my area needs another 'cut'

Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Personally it isn't for me. The couple of times I have run across them were at the dealership and the ones here are a bunch of douchebags. My bike is my daily driver so sometimes I only have Sat/Sun to fix stuff. I run in to them almost every time I go up there on Saturday. I guess they hang out there?

I had one stomp up to me in the parking lot and ask me if my bike was one of those "fakey rigids" I have no idea WTF that is to be honest. Then as his buddies walk up, he says I bet you can't do more than 40 miles before you have to pull over. I said no, I can go about 10 miles, it has taken me all day to get here from Belmont and I have to get going if I want to get home by midnight.

They were just a bunch of irritating asses...

Anyhow, I know all groups are different so OP try it out. You may find a good group of folks that you'll have a blast with or not. Either way I applaud you for trying.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow. That sounds like a lot of fun....

Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
Wow. That sounds like a lot of fun....
They are a silly lot!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Horse ****, went on an overnight ride with some members of the chapter I belong to. Like anything else you need to do your homework. Anyway, there is this gal riding her own bike on this trip. Now nothing against women riders but this one, should really consider a couple courses or something. I volunteered to take the rear with her directly in front of me, what a mistake. Poor thing had no confidence and the twistys must have scared the hell out of her. The roads were all in great shape and it could have been a great ride, instead the frustration got the best of me. Ended up bailing out on the way home and rolled on with just myself and my wife as passenger,then it became what a ride should be fun and relaxing.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatscott
The Riverside Chapter out here seems like they do some cool rides. I think they have a big membership, but it seems like most of them are older retired guys. I'm only in my mid 30's so not real sure how the wife and I would fit in....plus I work on weekends which would make membership pointless. You are going to hear guys talking **** about hog, but screw em....it is what you make out of it. Yeah there are probably some wanna-be types involved, but for every one of them you will probably meet 2 or 3 cool people.

I hope you get something out of it......just ease up on the all-you-can-eat buffet hahahah
I'm a fairly new member of that chapter. I felt the same way about the age difference for my Wife. We are in our upper 30's. Most everyone in the chapter are betweent he ages of 40 and 70 from the looks of it but they all seem to be a great bunch of people and I enjoy the laughter.

They are a riding chapter too. Come join us if you can.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I remember when all dealers gave a discount for national HOG members. Now none that I've seen do. Hog has seen the last of the money for the wife and myself

Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep! Right on the mark

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
The only times I've had a HOG card was when I bought a new bike. Had no use for it.

Not much on parade style riding with a predetermined schedule with no deviations...kickstands UP @ "this" time, ride "xxx" miles, kickstands DOWN @ "that" time...eat lunch from "this" time to "that" time, kickstands UP @ yada yada...

Dealer gives me 15% everyday, got my own road service, and I ride with people I trust to be my friends, not just any assclown who can afford a Harley...
Had exactly the same impression! My life is already too structured, my bike is my "escape", from all the rules and regulations.