General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined HOG today......

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Lifetime wasn't a lot of outta pocket. Wouldn't have paid yearly fees. Towing included, can do HOG events. Including the York Open House which I'm pretty close to.
I joined the local for a year. Wasn't my demographic. Nice to know I can go back whenever I want.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The savings on my cell phone bill more than cover the cost of membership. So I'll keep my national membership.

Tried a local chapter last year and decided it wasn't for me. I'm kind of socially awkward to begin with and all the little clicks in the chapter had already been formed so I spent most events standing around looking like an idiot. Plus they spent too much time begging for money and for people to volunteer time for events. I also found out I'm not a big fan of group riding.

Not knocking anyone who enjoys their hog chapter. Just wasn't for me.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Not sure I would look to Join another one, but I have met some good folks and made a few friends. Just like any other organization you have your asshats to deal with. We do go on some nice runs and yes there is usually food involved, but where the hell do you go for the day and not eat?
Last year took a 2 week trip with some friends from the chapter, and doing it again this year. wife enjoys it as there are other women she can flap with so it works for me.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:47 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
You Sir talk a load of BS. I'm a newbe as you would call us. I have been a newbe for 31 years. I have been a HOG member for nearly 20 of those 31 years.
Don't think that because you don't think much of a HOG membership you represent a majority because, you might not.
I have met a lot of great people through HOG and also some very undesirable ones, just like here on the forum. It's just what you put in.
Well, I think HOG is thought of differently across the pond than here. In America, most veteran Harley riders think of HOG as well, poserish, silly & a waste of money.Nothing against anyone that is a member--just that most riders get together on their own & plan rides; we don't need to pay a club to do it for us.

My personal experience with HOG? Became an automatic member back in '90 when I bought my brand-new FXSTC. Went to the first meeting with my best friend Joe who, coincidentally, had ALSO just bought a new '90 FLH. We all pulled outta the Buccaneer diner parking lot in Astoria, Queens, & waited for the light to change. You woulda thought the traffic light was a dragstrip Christmas tree the way these guys took off. **** on that. I didn't buy my Harley to drag race. THat was the 1st & last ride with HOG--100 feet from the diner parking lot to the traffic light.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:19 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Never been involved but the Chapter were I live does a lot of good charity work as do several down around Phoenix. See em written up in the local paper several times a year regarding the charity things they do.

Just a couple days ago they had a writeup about their support of a burn camp for kids that have been burned in fires. Sounds like a great bunch of people.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I was a member...from 2005 - 2007 (bought 05 XL1200C) and 2009 -2011 (bought 09 FLHX)...both were free, but I didn't attend any of the meetings - bad member, I guess.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, I forgot, they reimburse for riding classes. Up to once a year maybe? That pays for itself. If I only found the time to sign up for courses that is.

When I was in the local they did a raffle each meeting for a gift card. Always seemed like the same people won though. Started to wonder if it was fixed. They also handed out discount coupons most meetings. 'Course there are dealers that offer at least that good a price, no shipping, and no tax. One thing they were talking about but hadn't worked out yet was a shop night, where you could bring your bike in, use the lifts, etc. That woulda been pretty cool.

Most of their rides were either lame ride to a spot and socialize stuff or overnight rides that were a little too involved. I wanted 100% riding on a well planned out route that took up most of a day. Not really the rides they had planned. Maybe I'll try again one day.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

They have thousands of members...can't be all that bad. I've ridden with one out of Pomona as a guest and they seemed to be an ok group. It's a social thing no question.
Have fun.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:14 PM
royboy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it and make the best of it. I have to move quite a bit and I've been with some great and not so great chapters. I've made some great friends through HOG. Of course - I've met a lot of turds too.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 PM
HDstreetHOG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well........ I suspect I will make the best of it, Starting tomorrow with my 15% discount on parts.

Quick Reply: Joined HOG today......