General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street light signal changer for motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Street light signal changer for motorcycle?

ORIGINAL: IRready

Go ahead and smile at me too. I will not say they do not work, but I will say the one I have does not work. I can't remember the brand. I did buy it off a recommnedation and I still sit at lights. I would be interersted in one that works. But I can tell you they all don't work.
This device will work if you have inductance pickup loops for your steetlights. If I just confused someone it is simple. There is a cutout in the street that has a small wire buried in the pavement. You will notice typically a loop or a hexagon or octagon on the pavement. The metal in a vehicle will cause an inductance change which then triggers a timer and the light changes. Motorcycles typically do not have enough metal in them in order for the system to detect them. A strong magnet will do the trick on these systems.

If your traffic lights in your area are controlled by weight sensors or optical sensors then this device will not work for you. Most of the U.S. uses inductance loops for light changing.

It is also possible that the wire in the pavement could be cut thus rendering the light sensing system useless. Most municipalities want to know if a sensor is not working and if you report it they will check it out.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

ORIGINAL: Speedkingnick

I recently put the G-4 from signal sorcerer on my scoot. Prior to installing it I have always had problems with 2 lights on my way to work. They would never detect me.

I installed the sorcerer and it tripped the lights I could never get to switch. Recommend for everyone.

I have not hadit pick up nails or other debris. It is a large magnet and the recommend place is away from electronics. The best place for mine was just in front of the rear tire on the crossbrace for the swingarm. You want to install this device as low to the ground as possible and that is the primo spot.

Get the G-4 - you won't regret it.

P.S. It even triggers the light prior to getting there - if the light has sensors set back from the intersection. This thing works!

Nick
I just ordered one also. You should call 'em and tell 'em you want a commission. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

One of my local Harley Dealers carry this exact product from the company. Might want to check around.

Thanks for the compliment on selling this product but if I can help a fellow biker it's worth it. Running red lights is not worth it - even though sometimes it is necessary.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll try the jiffy stand trick until some of you guys report back. I'm getting tired of looking around and blowing through the light...

Old 01-12-2007, 04:20 AM
E DOGG
Road Master

I just use a magnet off of an old 3inch speaker and mounted on the crossmember with tie- wraps. And It works everytime!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 AM
surv1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snake oil...they don't make a difference. 2 or 3 ounces are metal aren't going to make a difference on a 600lb or 900lb metal motorcycle. If all the metal in the bike don't trip the inductive loop, and extra 3 ounces aren't going to help. Every cycle magazine that's tested them says the same thing..... they're a waste of money.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:47 AM
electraride2
Cruiser

Fellow rider,check your local laws here in wisconsin it changed october 2006,you can go thru a red lite after stopping for the red lite if its a trip lite....

Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the magazine is wrong. i have two of the older ones i a plastic box (all they are really is a magnet) and yes they work. I haven't had torun a light in a looong time .

Old 01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
scarnay
Road Master

That's what I thought. It's just a hunk of metal or a magnet, neatly covered with plastic for 20+ dollars. I'll try puttingmy jiffy stand on top of the strip.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nu B StreetGlider

I just use a magnet off of an old 3inch speaker and mounted on the crossmember with tie- wraps. And It works everytime!

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Quick Reply: Street light signal changer for motorcycle?