General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 05:52 PM
Xocjm
|
Tourer
Default Painting engine parts

I'm posting this here because I didn't see another forum that related to this. I want to paint most of the covers on my engine black, Primary ect... What I want to know is would I be better of having them powder coated or can I save money and paint them with a high heat black and save money. I think I could paint them myself considering I want flat black and you don't have as many issues with a rough surface and flat paint. If I am completely wrong please let me know. Also and please excuse my ignorance, would I have to replace any gaskets if I did this myself. The bike is an 05 Softail Standard with 5000 miles. Thanks in advance. Michael

[IMG]local://upfiles/9088/978D609943E74112A411AD0C8728ECE9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2007 | 07:08 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Painting engine parts

VH1 makes paint, HD makes paint and there are several other that offer High temp paint that will work on the engine/tranny and primary. Follow the directions, prep the surfaces well and shoot away. IMHO, It will look better if parts are removed, painted and then reinstalled vs, painting the parts and the fasteners as well.

Old 01-10-2007 | 07:12 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

Spray paint worked for me.

Old 01-10-2007 | 07:18 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rizzo

Spray paint worked for me.
[sm=Flahssssss.gif][sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 01-10-2007 | 08:12 PM
dynrdave
Road Master

I have been thinking about painting my cases and jugs black to bring out the chrome, might wait till spring now.

Old 01-10-2007 | 08:26 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Xocjm

I'm posting this here because I didn't see another forum that related to this. I want to paint most of the covers on my engine black, Primary ect... What I want to know is would I be better of having them powder coated or can I save money and paint them with a high heat black and save money. I think I could paint them myself considering I want flat black and you don't have as many issues with a rough surface and flat paint. If I am completely wrong please let me know. Also and please excuse my ignorance, would I have to replace any gaskets if I did this myself. The bike is an 05 Softail Standard with 5000 miles. Thanks in advance. Michael

[IMG]local://upfiles/9088/978D609943E74112A411AD0C8728ECE9.jpg[/IMG]
If I was painting them, I would take them off, I hope you have a shop manual when you get to the nose (timing/cam cover) then you or someone buffs them out with alum cutting paste, really do a number on them, I would paint them with black, black , base coat then clear coat, I really don’t think harley used heat paint on there ’80 low rider covers, if you can get to a web site that shows older stock bikes, you will see a nice set-up, black silk. One more thing, better to talk too a painter, I think you might need a primer.

Good luck
cj

Old 01-10-2007 | 08:28 PM
thumper05
Road Warrior

my .02 cents

Powder cote it..looks better than paint and will shine pretty good too ya can get diff colors of black,gloss flat,sparkle...ect

Old 01-10-2007 | 08:32 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: si6

my .02 cents

Powder cote it..looks better than paint and will shine pretty good too ya can get diff colors of black,gloss flat,sparkle...ect
I have powder coated 95% of the parts blacked out on previous bikes. Can be cleaned, holds up well and really looks factory if completed correctly.

Old 01-10-2007 | 08:33 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior

1st little pebble that you run over will ruin your efforts....powder-coat is much more durable and is pretty cheap considering the life of the part....not to mention advances in powder-coating technology that have allowed the use of metalflakes, translucents, any just about any other look you'd get from custom paint!
hey, ive got my p.h.d. in rattle cans...dont get me wrong, but for this type of application[motorcycles and related parts] p/c cant be beat!

Old 01-10-2007 | 08:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Gotta tear it down to powder coat. Mask it off, and rattle can it.

If you're going with plain high heatflat black, then get some from a lawn mower shop that sells Briggs & Stratton paint. It's the best there is for this type of application.

If you want to wrinkle black, then get a couple of those el-cheapo portable halogen work lights. Wash the bike well, mask off what you don't want sprayed, spray a medium heavy coat, let it dry some, spray another medium heavy coat, let it dry some, then hit it a 3rd time. Point those lamps at it, close enough to heat it up good, and watch it wrinkle. Easy to do, easy to touch up, and dirt cheap.

Quick Reply: Painting engine parts