General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 09:07 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Default RE: Painting engine parts

ORIGINAL: metal_mike

1st little pebble that you run over will ruin your efforts....powder-coat is much more durable and is pretty cheap considering the life of the part....not to mention advances in powder-coating technology that have allowed the use of metalflakes, translucents, any just about any other look you'd get from custom paint!
hey, ive got my p.h.d. in rattle cans...dont get me wrong, but for this type of application[motorcycles and related parts] p/c cant be beat!
"metal_mike"

No question powder-coat is way better in the hardness dept. but I think he was trying for less bucks I think ? but it won't have the shine that base coat clear coat has, as for holding up to the road, HD covers didn't nick up, primary and cam covers don't see that much stones and such on the side or heat, and if HDused it, it held up as good or better than chrome.

powder is great stuff I have it, but paint is cheaper and it holds in this type of app.

cj