General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Buy or Not Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty Buy or Not Help!

Alteration do affect your warranty, says so on a lot of their printed material. When others follow on with they need to prove it was the cause, well, what they'll do is say "void", then youwill need to pay a lawyer (more than the cost of the warranty i'm sure) to sue. The way it worked out for me with my lowrider on stages I,II & III was the dealer said if i use HD parts and they do the work they would stand behind it for the duration of the warranty. Been working for me.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:31 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope. Never have, never will.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:26 PM
johnny canuck
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's all very well for the dealer to say your are covered. What happens when you have a problem 1,000 miles away? Different cirumstances will dictate different choices.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 PM
bh73
Cruiser

No extended warranty.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Bluerose

I have one. Mostly because I have used the ones on my car and my TV. Both paid for themselves. The Car was right at the end of its original warrenty and just past 2 different issues...my car repairs would have been 2000 - 5000 $$ . My TV was at the end of the exteneded Warrenty and had just over $500. Anymore things are being built less "solid" (Not nesscesarily talking about HD)

I have considered cancelling the one on the HD I believe I have until the 2 year mark(hmm..need to re-read) and getting some of the money back. So far though the only thing I have changed is the Pipes. The rest of the "Mechanics" of the bike andmajor items (forks, wheels, etc) are stock.

I figure after I pay it off I'll want to do some major upgrades but that is a few years away. I may never use itbut while I'm paying on it though I would hate to have to do a major repair.Remember the cost is not just in the parts but the labor....If you can rebuild your bike by yourself you most likely do not need a warrenty...look at what it covers and see if it is worth it to you.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:35 PM
WillyHD
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

I never get the extended warrenty. It's a sucker bet.
Have to agree here. Take the cost of Warranty and put in a solid mutual fund or funds. Let it grow until you need to make a major repair. It is only offered as a way for the Moco to get cash up front.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

My dealer was up front with me about it breaking down 1000 miles away, said dealers in otherareas would probably say no. But- I wanted the mods (which voided my factory warranty out of the gate with 1000 miles on it) and i'm not 1000 miles away the majority of the year. Still worth it to me.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
gliderider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: AZ Rider

Indeed. If it makes you feel better, go for it. I would never buy one of those things. We just bought a car and they tried to sell me $4500 worth of "products" in F&I. After turning them down he asks "Is there a reason?" Well, yeah...it's too much money and I don't want them. There's two reasons for you. Lot of confidence you have in your product there, bud.

It's just a profit pad for the dealership. Nothing wrong with that but I'm not paying for it.
I agree. In fact, I have gone so far as to ask the salesperson if they didn't expect the (computer, toaster, lawnmower, vehicle, etc.) to last too long. They always back-pedal...ummmm-uhhhh, weelllll, of course we do, it's just for your (peace-of-mind, security...)

Total scam, IMO.

Who in the hell would buy an extended service policy on a toaster??!!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

For most of the M/C buying public an extended warranty on a motorcycle is a scam IMO. For $1200-$1700, there is virtually nothing that can't befixed on a bikefor that amount (shy of a rarecatrastrophic engine granade). Most bikers don't log heavy amounts of milage. This is especially true for regions that have long winters. Remember, warranties DON'T cover the common wear items on bikes such as tires, brakes, clutches,plugs, and so on... For hardcore riders, or "abusive" pilots then an extended is something to definately consider. Lastly dealers mark up a factory warranty about 100%. Me personally don't have any need for a M/C extended warranty. I did however purchase a 6/60 extended for my $hitbox Dodge 4X4. I haggled a $1050 warranty for dealer cost of adding $500 into the price of the truck. (and I have already used $1600 worth of repairs)

Old 01-12-2007, 09:52 PM
cajunman831
Tourer

i bought it for my 2005 fatboy.i,m 50 and didn,t want to take a chance.it,s a big cost to rebuild an engine.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Buy or Not Help!