General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Buy or Not Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Carolina Fatboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty Buy or Not Help!

ORIGINAL: Monzie

I do not buy extended warranty's on anything.
I don't usually buy them either but when I bought my HDTV something in the back if my mind said that I should purchase it; six months later I'm sure glad I did. I guess it depends on how you feel about the product and the company that produced it. It comes down to how you feel.......

Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
SteveM
Road Captain

Appears I'm in the minority so far on this topic.
Considering 07 is new model year for 6 speed and 96ci, I opted for the 7 year warranty on my 07 Ultra Classic.
I plan on keeping the bike well beyond the 2 year factory warranty and I figure I can always cancel it and get a pro-rated refund later on.
Might also be a selling pointlater on when I sell. Peace of mind......... at a price.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve
I'm also considering the extended warranty. How much is it?

Old 01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
jbe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is just peace of mind. What lets you sleep better, saved some $$$$ at the sale, or knowing if something goes wrong later on; it will not cost you a bundle.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:01 PM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

In Canada, the price for a HD Ultra extended warranty is $1,256 (5 yrs), $1,464 (6 yrs) and $1,715 (7 yrs).
Also add another national 6% goods & services tax on top of that. This does not include the optional tire and wheel coverage which is $397 (5 yr) and $481(6&7 yr). The tire and wheel coverage cannot be bought separately - WTF!If you do not buy the extended warranty within 90 days or 2100 miles then there is a further $225 Extended eligibility surcharge - WTF!How's that for a warm & fuzzy feeling? How does this compare with US warranty pricing? Is there a 90 day grace period in the US? In the auto business you can buy a manufacturer's extended warranty anytime during the basic warranty period with no surcharge!
I have ordered an 07 Ultra for February - dealers are on an allotment and there are no deals to speak of. Snow or sleet - it don't matter. If you don't pay full list, someone else will. On the touring models, some dealershave already sold their 2007 allotment. Idid grind my dealer a bit only because I have been a dedicated customer for many years and this will be my third bike from them. For a Black Cherry Pearl, list is $25,279 ($24,659 for black) and freight & PDI is $770. Then add 7% provincial sales tax and 6% GST. Without adding a security system or a bit of chrome, you are already close to $30,000. The good news is that the price for a 2007Ultra is $900 cheaper than a 2006 due to the rise in the Canadian dollar. There is an exchange issue difference obviously but the sole Canadian distributoris tacking on at least $1,500 per bike which is reflected in the price. There is no way we can buy a new HD from a US dealer and then bring it across and pay all border duties, fees and taxes. I have no choice if I want a HD BUT I can buy my parts south of the 49th. That's the price we pay for being part of the brotherhood. I'd sooner give blood if I could.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Electraman
Advanced

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another consideration is that you don't have to buy it right away. As my original 2-year warranty on my '04 was about to expire, the mail from HD started coming in about extending my original warranty. Like most everyone else has said, it is a crapshoot, but considering what I have invested in my bike, I bit on the offer and bought a 3-year additional warranty, $1100.00 or so. Good thing though since 2 months later, the starter crapped out, HD picked the bike up, replaced the starter and a couple of other things and all it cost me was $50.00 for the deductible.

If I have only 1 other warranted repair in the next 3 years, I'll have made back the cost, but like most, I stay away from the warranties on applicances and electronic items, just fluff for the store and salesperson.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a ton of money andlike all insurnace worthless waist of money until you need it. You can negotiate the cost. How longyou plan on keeping the bike is a big factor. How good a wrench you are plays into it. I plan on keeping both my bikes, my wrench skills are the pits and like stevem i was a little worried about my 07SE Ultra (new 110 motor and all) i played it safe and got it. I'll let you know in 7 years if it was worth it but the piece of mind meter is way high and will be for a long time.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What happens if you have a warranty problem and your bike has been altered (different EFI setting,pipes,air cleaner,etc.)?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Before reaching a final decision, shop at least a couple of HD dealers for the price of the ESA--dealers do mark these up.

If you are trading every two years, why buy the ESA for coverage beyond the factory two year warranty?

If you are a high mileage rider and plan to keep the bike beyond the MOCO warranty period, you can buy the ESA prior to the expiration of the two year factory warranty. This scenario is probably the strongest in favor of the "buy" because cam chain tensioners, starter motors, etc. do wear out and are expensive to repair/replace.

The ESA also limits what you change on the bike in some respects. HD is not going to cover a claim for a cam shaft failure if its not their's, etc.

Lots of variables to ponder--but as for the seller making money on the ESA, if they didn't they would be out of business--all insurers (health, life, auto, etc.) make a profit if they stay in business. I don't buy extended service plans for household appliances or electronics, but I did for my Electra Glide because I am a high mileage rider and I am glad I did because I have had the starter motor replaced, and cam chain tensioners, andleft fairing bracket willget done shortly for the $50 deductible.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Buy or Not Help!