General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st bike advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:10 PM
gettomedic
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st bike advise

Hi all,First thanks to all for warm welcome being a newbie.my question is i have completed the msf course and will be looking forward to purchase 1st bike. a little about myself.6 ft 220 lbs.live in
western md.some friends suggest buying used or jap bike for first year,others say if u want a harley go for it.I really like the looks of the wide glide, or the softtail standard.I really would like to get advice from harley lovers.thanks!

Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1st bike advise

Ask 10 guys, get 10 different answers.
I suggest that you buy a nice usedHarley first, especially if you're not sure what direction to take..
They are out there, and they can be bought right. You won't get hurt.
As soon as you ride for a few months, you'll know for sure what bike is right for you.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
fatboy4ever
Cruiser

Congrats on passing the MSF course, you are now on your way to "Lots of Fun". If you are new to riding and like the look of the softail, I would suggest that you buy a used Honda ACE. This bike is a great bike for a new a rider and relatively cheap. New they run about $6,000 and used around $3500. Once you get about 3000 miles on the bike, then I would suggest that you start looking around. As you know Harley's are not cheap, and you just don't want to jump into something and not be comfortable with the riding experience and/or the expense. Nobody is going "think" different of you if you ride a Jap bike. They tend to be reliable and cheap to buy and maintain. Don't worry, a Harley with your name on it is always there.

Safe riding

Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

I expect if you ask 100 people you will get 100 answers.....all that aside, the bike I ride the most right now is a Wideglide...I am 6'-0" and weigh around 225 on a good day without BBQ......for me, the bike could be stretched another two inches and I would feel better on it....my G.F. says I look like a "bear on a roller skate" on it....I may even extend the forward controls a little more.

The bike is fairly comfortable the way it is but the seat is not made for 4-500 mile-a-day trips from the factory.Mustang seats are good replacement seats but I recently contacted them about a seat for this bike and they said it would move me one inch closer to the tank and one inch higher--maybe thats a trade off, but I definitely don't want to be any closer to the tank.......The Softail standard or customare good bikes and I almost ended up with one of them instead of the Wideglide, but I'm thinking about picking up an older used standardfor a bike to doa custom project because of the cost involved.

In my opinion (which is worthdiddly squat in most places in America) the market right now seems soft and I think by July of next year when the '08's come out you could get a really good dealon a usedor year-old"new" bike by next September or October or whenever winter hits in yourarea.......It doesn't seem to me like the used Harley market has come to the realization of what bikes are really bringing now as I continue to seebikes priced wayabove what they will bring...........

Good luck,
Draggin S

Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
rkc2006
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ROAD KING CLASSIC

Old 01-10-2007, 02:17 PM
rvisdew
Road Master

My first bike was a Harley (just over a year ago). Took the MSF class, got my license and then test rode the Softail Heritage and the Road King. Kinda liked the look of the Heritage a little better, but settled on the Road King. Very glad Isettled on a "touring" bike... Rode about 19K miles on it last year and am loving EVERY minute! This year we should have even more miles! And next year may buy an Ultra ... we'll see ...

and nothing, nothing is better than a riding a Harley!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Bdub
Advanced

ORIGINAL: George C

Ask 10 guys, get 10 different answers.
I suggest that you buy a nice usedHarley first, especially if you're not sure what direction to take..
They are out there, and they can be bought right. You won't get hurt.
As soon as you ride for a few months, you'll know for sure what bike is right for you.

This is pretty much the same advice I would give someone.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

If you can afford it and really want a Harley I would say go for it, don't make the mistake that I did and settle for something else and have now finally got the bike that I've always wanted. I was always a big Softtail HC or Deluxe fan, but really want to start doing some 400-500 miles day trips and couldn't see myself doing that on aSofttail. So I went witha RK Classic, got the classic cruiser look with the comfortability of a touring bike. Do your research though and find a dealer that allows test rides or has a demo day and ride a few different ones and find the one foryou.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Monzie
Tourer

Screw every one else buy what you like

Old 01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in So. Cal. you can rent different Harley's at the local dealer. Not sure if you can do that where you are at, but if you can do it. Keep renting until you reach a decision.

Quick Reply: 1st bike advise