General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT helmets and helmet laws...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 AM
mgumto
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOT helmets and helmet laws...

Thank god I have been fortunate enough to live in Minnesota, North Dakota for 20 years and now Arizona the last 3 years. No helmet laws in either state and thats the way it should be.Funny story about helmetsfor ya all.I went to Florida in 1998 for bike week and knew they had a helmet law. Back then I lived in Fargo, ND and we never wore helmets (young and dumb) Long story short, when we finally got to Florida, I hopped on my Honda CBR for a quick spin down the 95 along the intercoastal. I was curious to see if they enforced their helmet law. I got pulled over for no helmet within 20 minutes. The cop was cool, I played stupid, apologizedand he let me go. We chatted for about 10 minutes and he told me there was some guy in town that had been cited over 100 time's for no helmet!!! Anyway, thought I'd share that story. I wear a helmet all the time now, but I do believe its important to make that choice on your own. It's clearly one's choice whether they wear a helmet or not IMHO.

Anyone know how many states dont require a helmet these days?? Are they a dying breed?? I know I'm pretty safe here in AZ when you can carry a gun here with no permit for god's sakes....gotta love the wild, wild, west!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Milt
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DOT helmets and helmet laws...

Till you get shot

Old 01-10-2007, 09:35 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: Milt

Till you get shot
Got a lot less people getting shot here in the "Wild Wild West" than where you are. Seems I just read that Chicago has the highest per capitamurder rate in the USA while Ill. has some of the strictest gun laws. Go figure......[&:]

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-10-2007, 09:38 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I live in New Mexico and we do not have a helmet law if you are over 18. I think right now iit is about 50/50 state wise that do and don't. A few states have recently repealed their helmet laws, and I haven't heard of any states that have inacted a new helmet law recently.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-10-2007, 09:41 AM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go http://www.bikersrights.com/states/50state.html

Old 01-10-2007, 09:54 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

There are so many stupid laws on the books, and it's high time they disappear. Helmet laws, seat belt law - all MUST go. If I choose to NOT wear them, so what? Not hurting anyone else.

And anyone that believes in these personal protection laws is a moron.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, I feel the same way. All these things are is a way for towns and cities to raise revenue. The insurance companies also lobby the states to pass these laws because of the surcharges that go with the fines. I always wear a helmet, but it's my choice. If someone else decides they don't want to, then don't. Same with seatbelts.

Let the goverment get their claws into things and it never stops. First it was tobacco and now the new thing is to go after are the fast food restaurants for transfat. What's next.......

ORIGINAL: grunt

There are so many stupid laws on the books, and it's high time they disappear. Helmet laws, seat belt law - all MUST go. If I choose to NOT wear them, so what? Not hurting anyone else.

And anyone that believes in these personal protection laws is a moron.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Iowa doesn't have a helmet law. ABATE is pretty strong here.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
MARCUSBEAR
Outstanding HDF Member

no helmet law in Florida ( $10,000 medical insurance & over 21)

Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i swing both way on that, only problem is if you crack your head open, and have no ins, we all pay for your med bills, and hell i don`t even know ya, you need ins to drive a car why not a motor, donors love you none helmet states

Quick Reply: DOT helmets and helmet laws...