General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT helmets and helmet laws...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
392heminut
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DOT helmets and helmet laws...

I disagree with helmet and seatbelt laws for adults, but when it comes to kids I'm all for it. Depending on their age, most kids don't know any better and after 22 years as a LEO I've seen enough of the consequences suffered by kids who's parents didn't think enough of them to buckle them in that I'm all for the under 18 laws.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Monzie
Tourer

I'll wear a cap every time I get on a bike, just because I like my brain right where it is. Now about a helmet law, if you want to ride without one, your head......................

Old 01-10-2007, 04:53 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

i swing both way on that, only problem is if you crack your head open, and have no ins, we all pay for your med bills, and hell i don`t even know ya, you need ins to drive a car why not a motor, donors love you none helmet states
#1 you don't have to have health ins. to drive a car, just liability.

#2 don't even get me started on the old arguement of public burden and who pays the bills if my head gets cracked. Who pays the bills when some fatazz without ins. has a heart attack or stroke,or some rump ranger without ins. gets AIDS, or some smoker without ins. get cancer?

If you want to start the public burden crap and make everyone pay for the things that they do to themselves, then you need to be ready to accept govt. mandated laws concerning sex, smoking bans, and a food and exercisepolice.

Bottom line is, Americans on the whole are doing a lot more damage to themselves, and being more of a public burden than anything a hand full of bikers with or without helmets could do.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom line is, Americans on the whole are doing a lot more damage to themselves, and being more of a public burden than anything a hand full of bikers with or without helmets could do.
Agreed.
Just a heads up guys,already had one helmet thread locked.This is a touchy issue for some so keep it clean

Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mgumto

Thank god I have been fortunate enough to live in Minnesota, North Dakota for 20 years and now Arizona the last 3 years. No helmet laws in either state and thats the way it should be.Funny story about helmetsfor ya all.I went to Florida in 1998 for bike week and knew they had a helmet law. Back then I lived in Fargo, ND and we never wore helmets (young and dumb) Long story short, when we finally got to Florida, I hopped on my Honda CBR for a quick spin down the 95 along the intercoastal. I was curious to see if they enforced their helmet law. I got pulled over for no helmet within 20 minutes. The cop was cool, I played stupid, apologizedand he let me go. We chatted for about 10 minutes and he told me there was some guy in town that had been cited over 100 time's for no helmet!!! Anyway, thought I'd share that story. I wear a helmet all the time now, but I do believe its important to make that choice on your own. It's clearly one's choice whether they wear a helmet or not IMHO.

Anyone know how many states dont require a helmet these days?? Are they a dying breed?? I know I'm pretty safe here in AZ when you can carry a gun here with no permit for god's sakes....gotta love the wild, wild, west!!!!!!!!

Thats a great riding story, I got another one for ya!

I was born and raised in WINTERpeg Canada, friend of mine
that I grew up with there and we learned to ride,paint and
repair motorcycles together rode together for years, me with
a helmet, him without a helmet.

We use to go to helmet law protests together, me wearing my
helmet, him not wearing a helmet! We were protesting the law,
not wether to wear a helmet or not.

Canada and most U.S. states have helmet laws now
(BUT GUESS WHAT?)

My friend still does not wear a helmet to this day in Canada or
anywhere in the U.S. he has never owned one to this day and
believe it or not he rarely ever gets a ticket. He has NEVER
got one in his home town of WINTERpeg either in over 40
years of riding motorcycles with no helmet. He is a real
motorcyclest/biker as well, he rides 40 to 80,000 miles a
year, he doesn't just ride once in a blue moon a couple of
thousand miles a year, he is really riding alot with almost no
tickets ever!

Go figure?

I wear helmets 98% of the time in my 40+ years of riding and
I still say HELMET LAWS SUCK" it should be your freedom
of choice to go out and take a shot atkilling yourself OR NOT!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: billnourse

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

i swing both way on that, only problem is if you crack your head open, and have no ins, we all pay for your med bills, and hell i don`t even know ya, you need ins to drive a car why not a motor, donors love you none helmet states
#1 you don't have to have health ins. to drive a car, just liability.

#2 don't even get me started on the old arguement of public burden and who pays the bills if my head gets cracked. Who pays the bills when some fatazz without ins. has a heart attack or stroke,or some rump ranger without ins. gets AIDS, or some smoker without ins. get cancer?

If you want to start the public burden crap and make everyone pay for the things that they do to themselves, then you need to be ready to accept govt. mandated laws concerning sex, smoking bans, and a food and exercisepolice.

Regards,

Bill
Bill, I couldn't agree with you more. Very well stated.................BG

Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

I think it's pretty foolish to not wear a helmet. If you have the right type it really is much more comfortable with one than without. I live in a state with a helmet law but these days I still have mine on even when I'm in states that are helmet free. I do it more for comfort than safety. I know there are people who say they are more comfortable without and thats fine but come do a 7,000 mile trip with me. Do half without and half with and see how you feel. All that said I still think that as an adult it should be your choice. Just a bit of advice. If you ride a bike without a windshield and try a half Dot helment it will feel like its pulling your head off from the wind catching it and pulling up. A 3/4 and even better a full face will take care of that problem. If you have a windshield then a 1/2 isn't to bad but I don't like them because of the noise. If you can borrow some different styles from friends and go ride with them. I don't mean around the block either. Spend a day in each type and see which feels best for you. If looking 'cool' or trying to fit in in means more to you then what I have said means nothing...but if being comfortabe after 10 hours in the saddle is then you might want to try all your options first.

Gary

Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: grunt
If I choose to NOT wear them, so what? Not hurting anyone else.

And anyone that believes in these personal protection laws is a moron.
As long as hospitals are required by law to treat everyone regardless of their ability to pay, I'm all for helmets, seatbelts, paper with the corners removed and diet pepsi (I have a $6000+ medical bill from a few stitches and an asprin).

When hospitals and doctors can go back to letting immigranst & the idiots (people who dont have insurance) bleed to death, thus lowering the cost of medical attention for everyone else, then sure, I will support your desire to kill yourself and other whole-heartedly.

*I was reading an article in magazine in a waiting room a few months ago. It basically detailed how 3 homeless guys (all drug addicts and alcoholics), would rack-up $1,000,000 medical bills per year! Mostly by passing-out on sidewalks, ambulances had to pick them up, take them to the hospital, they got their stomachs pumped, styayed the night, were kicked-out the door the next morning and they walked to the nearest liquor store to drink themselves right back into the hospital. These bums were being admitted as many as 4 or 5 times a week! With never any intention of paying for any of it. The mayor decided that it would be cheaper to buy these people houses, and have a rotating staff of 24-hour nurses for them, but the idea was shot down because of protests (even if it would save several hundred thousand dollars).

So the next time you write a check for your health insurance coverage, please thank insuranceless people who made it that bad. And wear a helmt.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The following is from Easyriders magazine:

States with no Helmet law:
Colorado, Illinois, Iowa,

States withAgeHelmet law (under certain age must wear):
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Helmet Law States: (Boo)
Alabama, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Washington DC

Florida not required if you have over $10,000 in medical insurance.
Texas not required if you have over $10,000 in medical insurance and over 18.

I just think its funny how some state helmets are optional but if you wear one reflectorization is required.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SquishFace
ORIGINAL: grunt
If I choose to NOT wear them, so what? Not hurting anyone else.

And anyone that believes in these personal protection laws is a moron.
As long as hospitals are required by law to treat everyone regardless of their ability to pay, I'm all for helmets, seatbelts, paper with the corners removed and diet pepsi (I have a $6000+ medical bill from a few stitches and an asprin).
Then I need to see your dietary and exercise regimen, and reserve the right to control all of that. Along with forcing you to see shrinks for any anger issues you have. And since TV is a leading cause of sedentary lifestyles that have lead to all these problems, I must insist on taking all your TVs. And force you to be sterilized after 2 kids (at the most). After all, large families not only cause stress, they cost the system too much in child care. Processed food is also outlawed from now on, as is anything grilled or fried (carcinogens dont'cha know). This includes packaged juices, sodas, and absolutely alcohol. And sex must be performed in monitoring stations so overzealous love making does not lead to injuries or illness.

Also, personal motorized transportation is also forbidden - the accidents, and the pollution, are all causing too many problems.

I am all for personal responsibility. Skip a helmet and become a veggie enjoy the misery of the rest of your life. Same with getting fat,.lung disease, or anything else. It it waaaaaaaay past stupid to make these f'up laws.

Quick Reply: DOT helmets and helmet laws...