General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best helmet?

I have a HD half helmet and I like mine a lot. I ride mostly with a windshield however which helps prevent the feeling of the half helmet being ripped off the top of your head. My advice is to go out and try tons of helmets and see what fits you best and feels most comfortable. A helmet is a lot like a seat everyone's head and a$$ is different so what works best for me might not for you.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
cemax12000
Cruiser

I have been wearing a modular flip up from Harley Davidson for over a year and wouldn't wear anything else. I wear glasses and this helmet makes it very easy to change from glasses to shades without taking it off.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:51 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

I just bought two THH carbon fiber kevlar composite open face helmets for my wife and I. They are comfortable and light, and I really like mine. The wife hasn't gone riding since I bought them to see how she likes it, she's a fair weather rider and if it's below 50 degrees it's not fair weather to her! My only negative on the THH is that it's snugger in the jaw area than my old THH was, but not much and I'm sure that after I've worn it a while it will conform to my head and be just as comfortable as the old one. These helmets also have the Snell rating. I bought them from an Ebay seller, here's the link to his store;
http://stores.ebay.com/Global-Marketplace-LLC

Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member

Im on my second Shoie- this ones a rf1000. very light and has a built in rear spoiler that eliminated the buffeting that i had in the past.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought an ACC carbon kevlar half helmet in candy red, DOT and much lighter and smaller than the fulmer half helmet that I was wearing, and when I ride without the windshield it doesn't want to lift my head off from the wind!

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Hardley riding
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Them On! I know that the selection sometimes suck, but go to as many stores as needed to try a lot of them on. After you find one you think you like, sit down with it on and leave it there for a bit. How is your line of sight, hearing and general comfort. If you can't see, hear or if it is a pain on your "neck" or pressure points on your head, you won't wear it. Then you have just wasted your time, money and possibly your health. The LAST thing youshould do is look in the mirror. It does not matter nearly as much how you look in a helmet as how you see and feelin a helmet.

Congrats on the decision and good luck on the hunt.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: hbski

ORIGINAL: bikerbehaviorist

Any one have an opinion on a modular or flip up?- this is the only choice for me a glasses wearer.
I have the HJC Sy-max and I like it.
I have the Harley branded Symax. Too much wind noise. Bought the HJC AC3 3/4 helmet and like it alot better. You need to try on different helmets to find the one to fit the shape of your head the best. They're all a little different as to the shape head they fit best.Go to a store that has a good selection of brands to find the best one for your noggin.[sm=smiley20.gif] Good luck.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
paulca
Road Captain

These guys have a number of reviews and tests and offer advice on sizing, weights etc.: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

What suits one rider may not suit another, but these reviews will give you an idea of what to look out for.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Xocjm
Tourer

I know you said you know about the carbon fiber helmets but take a look dot approved and you don't look like a mushroom head (by the way they come in four shell sizes and unfortunetly I have as fat a melon as you can get) and it still doesn't look bad, my wifes looks even better because it's not an XL. Michael

[IMG]local://upfiles/9088/ADA0141A99C64D46AC1BB4786137CC81.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikerbehaviorist

Any one have an opinion on a modular or flip up?- this is the only choice for me a glasses wearer.
I have an HJC CL-MAX modular (flip-up full face). I wear it when it's cold, otherwise an HD 3/4. The CL-MAX works well for me and glasses.

Jim

Quick Reply: best helmet?