General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Chain drives left?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Any Chain drives left?

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

ORIGINAL: dsb

You should get up to 20k as long as you keep it adjusted right,and dont pull to many hole shots,biggest problem is people make them to tight and then they wear faster,if it is a swing arm bike make sure you are sitting on the bike when you adjust it should have a bout a half inch of play on the lose side of the chain
I've put 2 Tsubaki 530 HSL-NP chains on my Ironhead. The first one lasted about 10k before it was stretched beyond service. The second one now has 14k on it and is way shot. I'd used them at the recommendation of an indy buddy. I did a little searching this week on them. They are rated for only 650 cc bikes....Go figure an Ironheads torque is harder on a chain than a sportbikes, h.p.......At 110 bucks a pop, I'm done with them. I did some shopping and found a Western Powersport nickel plated chain for 26 bucks. I ordered on this morning and am going to see how well it holds up.
I used to go to a joint called Farm & Fleet and buy bulk chain. The farmer stuff lasted as long as the heavy duty high dollar Tsubaki chains, as long as I kept 'em lubed and adjusted. Used some Kawasaki spray on lube. It worked pretty well, and was cheaper than the HD lube, or the specialty chain lubes, too.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:11 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Any Chain drives left?

I've been using a spray on Dry lube...........Yes Dry Lube. Goes on wet..........Then the transfer agent evaporates and leaves a dry but thick film that stays put and causes no fly off mess. you can even touch it with your finger and your finger will be clean.Also no dirt or sand stick to it..........So the chain stays clean.......Great Stuff!.......Got it at a suziki dealer