Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will exhaust wrap "rot" my pipes??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 493 Posts
Default Will exhaust wrap "rot" my pipes??

Evening friends. I'm thinking about wrapping my pipes for a new look, but am curious as to wether it will harm the pipes in the long run. Only concern I can think of is perhaps after washing the bike, if you don't run it long enough to dry out the wrap,will it degrade, (rust), the pipes. Concerned if going back to heat shields one day may be possible. Anybody been running wrap for years, and if so, what long term effects have you been witness to?? Thanks fellas.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read about pipes cracking because of the extreme heat that can't escape fast enough..........others i've read have no problems.......seems to be a crap shoot.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,714 Likes on 17,790 Posts

Gonna peel the chrome , but hey it's all about being popular isn't it who cares about whether it trashes things or not to look cool .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-07-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:49 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Gonna peel the chrome , but hey it's all being popular isn't it who cares about whether it trashes things or not to look cool .
I don't think the pipes themselves are plated, just the heat shields.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrapping the exhaust won't generally rust the pipes. What happens is that it won't let the heat escape which make the metal really brittle and starts to flake. This was on some mild steel headers that were in my S-15 Jimmy with a 350. Not sure if the same would happen on these pipes as they are chromed as well.

cheers

Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will degrade the metal yes. There are companies that will coat the pipes/headers with a special coating that works better than tape and they can do the insides of the pipes too.

Tape looks cool though.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain

Received 345 Likes on 150 Posts

I have wrapped my pipes on my last 2 bikes 06 softail and 10 Ultra havnt had any issues at all but I dont make it a habit of soaking them down with water when I wash my bike there might be problems with letting them sit to long wet over extended periods of time.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never was crazy about wrapped pipes. Reminds me of The Mummy.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got friends who claim the wrap made the metal brittle and their pipes cracked down the length however I haven't seen it for myself.
I've been considering wrapping my pipes. The heat radiating off of my propipe is insane compared to my old stock pipes.My only concern is that it will affect the cooling off of everything while in motion.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts

Physics applies.

The pipes will be hotter than before the wrap. That is the purpose of the wrap - retain heat inside the pipes. The hotter the exhaust gases the more velocity they have. More velocity may (other things involved) result in more power as the cylinder can be evacuated faster.

Next part of the physics is what alloy the pipes are made of. The steel, usually a mild alloy (1010) will oxidize from the heat. The hotter the pipe the more oxidation that happens. Oxidation means losing material - the pipes will weigh less than when new. At some point they'll be too thin to hang together.

Next physics part is that I've read somewhere (can't remember where, so gots nothing to "ratify" this) that the higher temp will cause carbon to migrate out of the steel, and cause the steel to become brittle.

Practical - I've wrapped several sets of pipes. I did it because I liked the look, and because the pipes I had were rusted, scratched, dinged, and I'm a cheap bastid. When the wrap was later removed the pipes were in worse condition than when first wrapped. They were severely pitted in a couple areas that had been in less than pristine shape originally.

If you wrap pipes, do it with the expectation that the wrap will cause the pipes to degrade more rapidly than otherwise. At least with that in mind you won't be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Will exhaust wrap "rot" my pipes??