General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

I never thought I'd see the day. Pulled over by a motorcycle cop on a Harley and cited for a non dot helmet. Yes it is my fault for wearing a novelty helmet. I now have joined the side of those who say WTF. I always used to wear a full face helmet, but acquired a non dot "novelty" helmet recently from a memeber on the site. So I was on my way to court to get my probation dismissed, and lo and be hold I get pulled over doing 30 in a 35. The officer motions to my wifes helmet (fullface) and says that he sees that it is important to her to protect her head. He is wearing a 3/4 helmet. LOL. Anyway, he proceeds to write me up for this offense. Does anyone know if it is a moving violation? I know it is not a fix a ticket. One thing is for sure...If there is a bullshit ticket, I have gotten it recently...First loud pipes, and now this. I now vote for no helmet law. I used to think it was a good law, but I don't want someone else deciding what I have to do on my bike in a "free" country...Vent over...

Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 PM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

Hard to belive he would pull you over for 35 in a 30. Must have been a slow day for him. Good luck in court[:-]

rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

NClakeguy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I never thought I'd see the day. Pulled over by a motorcycle cop on a Harley and cited for a non dot helmet. Yes it is my fault for wearing a novelty helmet. I now have joined the side of those who say WTF. I always used to wear a full face helmet, but acquired a non dot "novelty" helmet recently from a memeber on the site. So I was on my way to court to get my probation dismissed, and lo and be hold I get pulled over doing 30 in a 35. The officer motions to my wifes helmet (fullface) and says that he sees that it is important to her to protect her head. He is wearing a 3/4 helmet. LOL. Anyway, he proceeds to write me up for this offense. Does anyone know if it is a moving violation? I know it is not a fix a ticket. One thing is for sure...If there is a bullshit ticket, I have gotten it recently...First loud pipes, and now this. I now vote for no helmet law. I used to think it was a good law, but I don't want someone else deciding what I have to do on my bike in a "free" country...Vent over...
He has too much free time.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:58 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd call my insurance company to check if it's a moving violation. I'd bet that it is....it would be here. I'd also go to court and try to fight the ticket to avoid the insurance surcharge that I'd get here. In MA if you go to court to fight a ticket they almost always let you off. At least the times I've gone and people that I know.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I would assume that the helmet thing would be considered a 'equipment violation', and not a 'moving violation'....

But then again, I suppose you should never 'assume' anything.

Lot's of States out there with State Statues dealing with helmets, maximum output of your exhaust, etc...

Luckily I live in a State that has neither....

No equipment, emission, or inspection checks either...

Old 01-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master

how much was it?

are you an ABATE member? i would call them and see what they suggest. I ehard they have NEVER lost a helmet ticket fight yet in michigan. thats why you join them isnt it ?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

I'm no attorney, but how'd he realize its was NON-DOT if you were moving along??....Doubt he could see the back of your helmetit if the Mrs was riding shotgun.

Maybe doing 30 in 35 MPH zone, eliminates the "probable cause" requirement and can get the ticket voided. Just an angle....

That sucks. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Dogwood
Tourer

I'm no Californian............
But I did read this:
http://www.bikersrights.com/states/c...alifornia.html

Basically says pay $10 after proving you now have a DOT helmet (corrected the equipment violation), just like if you had a taillight out.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

I read it as he was doing 30 in a 35. [sm=wtf.gif]

quote, So I was on my way to court to get my probation dismissed, and lo and be hold I get pulled over doing 30 in a 35.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...