General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

ORIGINAL: randy78045

As a former LEO, lets get real... THERE ARE cops who are dick heads... [&:]
Agreed..

Terry.......the badge thing doesn't work all that often in today's World. I got at ticked in Richardson County Nebraska last March for 75 in a 60. (he claimed to be doing me a favor, as he actually had me at 76). I have only written ONE other LEO, and that was a guy in the Academy. I DID it, to make him understand that the badge does not give you carte blanche to disregard any law you see fit "Cuz ur a Cop".

Somebody else asked me "Are you Kiddin, Matlock". NO, I am not. If I see a driver all of a sudden start obeying EVERY traffic law once he sees a Cop, or a guy that goes out of his way to wave and "Act Friendly" towards me, my spidey sense tingles, and I wonder.......What's up with THIS guy? Doesn't mean I will stop him, but I will certanly run the tag.

I think stopping somebody for going UNDER the speed limit by 5 MPH is B.S. Going 40 in a 60? Yea....THATS impeding traffic. I wonder just how many tickets that Officer has written for 5 Under? It would be interesting to know, if this is a pet peeve of his, OR if this was a 1st time "stop" for him.

Re the helmet? I think HELMET LAWS FOR ADULTS SUCK. It should be MY Choice, and I don't always wear one. BUT, if the Law says you have to wear a DOT approved helmet.......then THAT is what it means. Period.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok one more clarification...I was not pulled over for speed. He simply noted it on the ticket. It was morning rush hour, and we were lucky to be going 30...

Old 01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
SLORider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.motorcyclists-against-dum...rights-16.html

Check out this article, There is plenty more on the web about Richard Quigley. He has won against the CHP on the basis that there is no definition of DOT approval for helmets. I don't know how much of a cause you want to make this but he has done the ground work.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

One thing to consider Anubisss is in MI it's the state police's responsibility to provide a list of approved helmets. One of the reasons that Abate wins so many cases here is that the State Police have never published or provided that list. Hence you can't be found guilty for violating a law when they have no definitive list to go by. I would check into that and see what the actual helmet requirements are for the state of CA.

I remember when they passed the helmet in CA back in the 80's(?). I had friends leaving the state for AZ because they refused to wear a helmet. Here in MI we have to wear a helmet and our wonderful lady gov vetoed the bill that would have allowed us the choice because she wanted to save us from ourselves. Finally got the house and senate to agree and send it to the gov and she vetos it. Glad she could take time out from watching our growing unemployment numbers to do us that favor.

Ride safe

Old 01-09-2007, 11:08 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

helmet laws still suck.
dot stickers

Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Ben U

I love Florida Helmet laws ...

I got a 1/2 DOT helmet in Orlando about a month ago, carbin fiber .. really nice. I posted a thread here somewhere with their contact info.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am glad Indiana does not have helmet laws! When we ride in states that require a helmet I have been know to use a novelty helmet....especially on long rides.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Ok Anubisss I'm not here tojudge you or the cops or anyone else. That said maybe this will help. Fight the ticket. Most judges dont want to get into the position of deciding if something is DOT certified or not. The cop has to show up in court to testify, if he doesnt show, you're off the hook. If he does he has to testify that you were riding a motorcycle and wearing a helmet that obviously doesnt meet DOT specs. As soon as he says this object on the basis that the officer has not been certified by the court as an expert witness in the field of helmet construction and certification. No matter how the DA tries to ask the cop about the construction or certification of your helmet, you object. Dont let him get anything into evidence other than you were riding a motorcycle wearing some kind of helmet and the cop pulled you over for no other reason and gave you a ticket for the helmet. When the prosecution is done grilling the cop you say "the prosecution has not shown my helmet. They have offered no expert testimony on what the DOT test is. They have offered no expert testimony on which helmets are DOT compliant. They have offered no expert testimony on which helmets areNOT DOT compliant. They have offered no expert testimony on wether or notMY helmet is DOT compliant. They have not shownMY helmet as evidence, nor have they shown any feature ofMY helmet that is lacking or sub-standard. " Move for a dasmissal for failure to prosecute. Most judges at this point will dismiss the case against you...............BG

Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain

An non-DOT helmet is real easy to spot from 100' away. (They don't make you look like a mushroom, and usually have more stickers than a 12-year old girl's diary). If you get a ticket, its your own damn fault. Move to a non-helmet state, don't ride, or comply with the law.

Now the "thinnest" DOT helmets are the Fulmer Hombre and Trooper models. I wore one when I was hit by a car in July, and can attest to their life-saving functions (I had the Trooper model). They are usually @ $60.

There is also the carbonfiber helmet, which claims DOT, but I've heard that the helmet does NOT actually meet standards (they tested a ringer helmet), this is all hearsay of course. But even still at $195 you'r paying a premium for a thin helmet.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:47 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BigGeorge
.....If he does he has to testify that you were riding a motorcycle and wearing a helmet that obviously doesnt meet DOT specs. As soon as he says this object on the basis that the officer has not been certified by the court as an expert witness in the field of helmet construction and certification.
The cop could always play the videotape (the dashboard cam) of the incident where his helmet does not have DOT markings on it.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...