General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I was doing 30 in a 35, obviously not an infraction. that what the thing that really got me. Id he spots my helmet from the side of the road deos he really have probable cause to pull me over if I am breaking no laws? Yes, he did ask to inspect my helmet. I admitted nothing, just stared at him. Do I need a LEO to protect me from my own stupidity? Maybe so, but I don't think so. Maybe now I'll plop down $400 on the helmet I want, I have the excuse to anyway...Whenever I have been pulled over in the past it was for say speeding, or speeding, or speeding, or I was being peeled off the road for some blind cager taking me out. the cagers who hit me and paid heavy insurace settlements never even got ticketed. that is such BS. Anyway, a little more venting. FACTION95, I was riding down Lincoln Blvd. in Venice and pulled over by LAPD. It figures, huh...Maybe nextime I'll actually break a law, like trying to talk on my phone, ride my bike, and feel up my old lady all at once. Oh yeah, the reason I was going to court was because the people that work there have their heads so far up their *** that they weren't sure what the situation was with me at all. The judge took one look at my case, congratulated me and dismissed my case. I was there on fault of the court. Sorry for the anger, jsut a little steamed today. You can go on and on that I am evil because of probation, but I am of the belief that sometimes SH*9 happens, and I am one of those folks that it happens to. Reread the post if you don't believe me...

Hey, I empathise with you man. If it happened to me I would be teed off too. It does seem chickenchit. However, you say "If he spots my helmet from the side of the road does he really have probable cause to pull me over if I am breaking no laws?" YOU WERE BREAKING THE LAW. Pay the fine or if you can spare the time, go to court and if the cop is not there (highly likely) plead not guilty and the judge will dismiss it.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always haveta remember that some cops have nothing better to do. If they spent all their time reading the statutes they will want to use them. Sure it's petty but that is why those idiot lawmakers put them in the books. They get them money regardless of harm.

I just remember where the sphincters were and skip their town. So much better to rationalize getting screwed for a fine when you can count the hundreds (if not thousands) you are giving to some other town's businesses.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man... some harsh reactions to this here.

I could be wrong... but I believe in NC you have to be doing something else for them to actually cite you for a helmet violation. At least... I have ridden past many a LEO with my skid lid and I have not heard a thing from them. Now granted... probably every cop in the county knows me at this point and they know I usually wear a full-face. So... dunno.

As for everyone jumping all over Anubisss about "breaking the law." jeez... calm down. Like you have never sped before and gotten busted. You didn't vent about it to someone after? I agree that if you break the law and you get caught... well... tough. But I didn't get anything other than "man this sucks" out of his post. It did not seem to me like Anubisss was trying to say he wasn't doing anything wrong... he just felt like he was getting dumped on. I know I have been there and I am sure you have to.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not for nothing but putting a DOT sticker on a novelty helmet will not save your *** - either in an accident or with the law.

There's more to it then a sticker.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: jackj

if you look at my avatar you will see why I think you got what you had coming to you.You knew the helment you were wearingdid not meet the requirments of your state & you choose to wear it anyway. So why are you bitching about getting dinged for it????[sm=bustedsign.gif]There are many many light & great looking half helments that are DOT approved, the law on DOT in your state was written to protect you. In those states where no helment is required, then do what you want.

PS "So I was on my way to court to get my probation dismissed," why were you on probation.? I assume it was for load pipes you touched on. I have probabaly some of the loudest around..... but I choose very carefully where to open them up, apparently you have been making some bad choices lately have't you.
Sometimes it is not the people who make the bad choices on why you end up on probation. Sometimes it is the LAZY A$$ D!CKHEAD cops that put you there. For example the cops who do not investigate thins write you a citation or arrest you and let the judge decide the outcome. If this is the case you are assuming he did something wrong to tell him he has made some bad choices when in reality it could have been a d!ckhead cop or a lazy one.
How can you assume it was for anything at all? Just our system that is improperly enforced.

So you have the loudest pipes around. Do you have a noice ordinance in your town or state?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was really jsut saying this was a bs thing, not arguing that I didn't break the law. I clearly did. Not the first, and I'll be honest, I'm sure it won't be the last. As for all the people who NEVER break the law, my hat is off to you. I have the time to go to court and fight it, so I will. It will be at a court that I fought another ticket in the past, I jsut hope it is not the same judge, because last time it didn't matter what I proved, he sided with the officer. Last time I fought a ticket, it was a speeding ticket, and I proved it was a speed trap, and the judge still sided with the officer. Anyway, I'll put the fool proof american legal system to the test. Are there any LEO's on here that live in So Cal? I could use some help here...An d thanks for everyone's opinion. Make sure that when you get back in your car that you don't speed...LOL

Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mp

Google "DOT sticker", buy one and stick it on your helmet for next time. There's no way they can prove you stuck it on there.
This is true,been printing my own for years.
Agreed many different views on this subject heres just two:
This summer a member(******) went down face first.He's here to talk about it due to a full faced lid.
Also this summer my friend Tom went down wearing a novelty lid.He's been in a coma for 5 months & the docs have wrote him off.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
UncleDave
Cruiser

Come on guys he's just venting. And I am with him. I am a 4th generation Californian and the freaks that have moved into this state have ruined it. It used to be a place where you were left alone and if you hurt yourself well you asked for it. Now it is a nanny state. Bust you for wearing a non-dot lid or no seatbelt, but pass 150 illegals in front of Home Dept to pull you over. Who is paying the taxes and keeping the economy moving, huh? I hate anyone telling me I have to do something "for my own good". I am an adult, so let me decide as I am not hurting anyone but me. And as our founding father's said, "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government." So it is our duty to fight the Despotism of the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Rant over!

UD

Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: hangnman

I agree but here in Omaha illegals drive all over place and they dont bother them...no insurance..no license...but go after someone not wearing DOT WTF[quote]

Man your LEO's aren't doing there job, better hope none of these people hits you.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

OK, this thread is pissing me off. Anubisss is part of our family here. He had a bad day and he came to us to vent. He's been called an ******* and basically told he was an idiot. Some of the complaints I've had from members who have left the forum is that they posted something and got flamed and treated as if they were idiots.

Like I said earlier, I'm a retired LEO (Sergeant 25 years). My wife is also a Sergeant at the same department. There isn't an LEO on this board that hasn't been pulled over for speeding and let go because of "professional courtesy." There isn't anything wrong with that. That's the way it is. If it were a problem then why don't I get the same discount at McDonald's as the employees do. Why is it that if I work for the State of Illinois my kids get 50% off their tuition at a state college and the regular hard working citizen doesn't? Don't get down on Anubiss for breaking the law when we've all done it. I don't wear a helmet. I have loud pipes and a blue dot taillight. I'm sure that my flashing Kuryakyn Panacea Deluxe LED lights are illegal too.

Give the guy a break for crying out loud. Can we be a little more sensitive here?

Quick Reply: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...