General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
siramazing
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

the one thing we can't tell in this thread is what the leo was actually thinking. We can speculate, but without knowing what was going through his mind, we can't know for sure why he gave you the ticket. There seems to be some confusion among us as to whether the he said you were doing 30 in a 35, or 35 in a 30. Which was it? And yes, I can believe you were sorely pissed about the whole thing. I would be too.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yeah it says on the ticket I was going 30 in a 35. I gotta make some phone calls. All I know is this is such bs. What do the Leo's on here have to say. I was riding safely, How could he tell the helmet was a non dot...That is a good question. It's not like I broke a law and then he noticed it...
Wait an minute, wait a minute...are you saying you got a ticket for doing 5 miles an hour less than the posted speed? What is the fine for something like that? Pffffttt ! Sounds pretty phony to me.

And another thing...you mentioned your non-dot helmet. Did he give you a ticket for that? Now that, I can understand. I know they can tell the difference between the DOT and the non DOT by the amount of padding at a glance. Now if you are wearing a NON DOT helmet, I understand you can be charged with 2 things .... 1) not wearing a proper helmet 2) being in possession of a falsely certified helmet.

If helmet laws are in effect in your area, and you werenot wearinga proper helmet... then absolu-freekin-lutely ... you broke the law and are entitled to the discipline for doing that.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was doing 30 in a 35, obviously not an infraction. that what the thing that really got me. Id he spots my helmet from the side of the road deos he really have probable cause to pull me over if I am breaking no laws? Yes, he did ask to inspect my helmet. I admitted nothing, just stared at him. Do I need a LEO to protect me from my own stupidity? Maybe so, but I don't think so. Maybe now I'll plop down $400 on the helmet I want, I have the excuse to anyway...Whenever I have been pulled over in the past it was for say speeding, or speeding, or speeding, or I was being peeled off the road for some blind cager taking me out. the cagers who hit me and paid heavy insurace settlements never even got ticketed. that is such BS. Anyway, a little more venting. FACTION95, I was riding down Lincoln Blvd. in Venice and pulled over by LAPD. It figures, huh...Maybe nextime I'll actually break a law, like trying to talk on my phone, ride my bike, and feel up my old lady all at once. Oh yeah, the reason I was going to court was because the people that work there have their heads so far up their *** that they weren't sure what the situation was with me at all. The judge took one look at my case, congratulated me and dismissed my case. I was there on fault of the court. Sorry for the anger, jsut a little steamed today. You can go on and on that I am evil because of probation, but I am of the belief that sometimes SH*9 happens, and I am one of those folks that it happens to. Reread the post if you don't believe me...

Old 01-09-2007, 07:55 PM
hangnman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Nebraska we never had any hassle about wearing novelty helmets until this year...a special grant from some saftey council got the police to stop and ticket anyone wearing non DOT...Will tow your bike!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain

To quote a Jim Carrey movie:

"Stop breaking the law A**hole!"

Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

Nothin' in this post was worth reading....I removed it....Skee

Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, we shouldn't rely on LEO's to protect us from our own stupidity, but I don't think that's the point here. The law is the law. If wearing a DOT approved helmet is law, and your not wearing one (and to further complicate the issue, you're wearing a phony), why are you surprised you got pulled over? Should LEO's turn their head in this instance? or perhaps, they should re-tie their shoe laces when they see a speedster drive by, or recount the change in their pocket from the last coffee stop when they hear a bank alarm going off. Where do they draw the line? Their job is to enforce the law...if you don't like it when they do it ...stop breaking it!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,050 Likes on 4,211 Posts

It all sounds kinda goofy, Anubisss. Did you mean the judge dismissed the non-DOT helmet charge or wasit something else they dismissed?

I can understand an LEO seeing that novelty lid and a pretty clear reaction that you were flouting the law to him and others that day. Not saying anything here about the CA law, helmets debate at all. It just sounds like you gave the LEO no choice. But, I wasn't there............

Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
hangnman
Tourer

I agree but here in Omaha illegals drive all over place and they dont bother them...no insurance..no license...but go after someone not wearing DOT WTF
ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

Well, we shouldn't rely on LEO's to protect us from our own stupidity, but I don't think that's the point here. The law is the law. If wearing a DOT approved helmet is law, and your not wearing one (and to further complicate the issue, you're wearing a phony), why are you surprised you got pulled over? Should LEO's turn their head in this instance? or perhaps, they should re-tie their shoe laces when they see a speedster drive by, or recount the change in their pocket from the last coffee stop when they hear a bank alarm going off. Where do they draw the line? Their job is to enforce the law...if you don't like it when they do it ...stop breaking it!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

ORIGINAL: jackj

if you look at my avatar you will see why I think you got what you had coming to you.You knew the helment you were wearingdid not meet the requirments of your state & you choose to wear it anyway. So why are you bitching about getting dinged for it????[sm=bustedsign.gif]There are many many light & great looking half helments that are DOT approved, the law on DOT in your state was written to protect you. In those states where no helment is required, then do what you want.
Lemme see.....You were on your way to COURT..........a Place of LAW.....but for the ride there, you knowingly chose to ride ILLEGALLY.......and when you get Caught, you holler. It would appear that the helmet issue is not the First poor choice you have made !

It probably caught the Officer's attention, that you were driving below the speed limit, and made him wonder what you were trying to hide, by being OVERLY attentive to the traffic laws. Then, he just looked for a reason to stop you, and the absence of the DOT sticker on the back of your helmet, gave him that reason.
Please tell me your kidding Matlock?

Quick Reply: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...