General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:34 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...

There should be NO laws protecting me from my own stupidity. And neither should I be able to bitch, and sue people when I get hurt doing stupid things (when they are MY fault, of course).

This nation is being filled with frightened wussbags - and those are just the guys. They are frightened to die, they are frightened that they may not make a 20% ROI on all insurance policies if Joe Dingus does not put on a full lid.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 156 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm a retired LEO (25 years) and I wouldn't be so hard on the guy. You have to admit that getting pulled over for 35 in a 30 is almost unheard of. Yes, it is a legal ticket and yeshe broke the law wearing the helmet. Let's not be too harsh. Remember, you are on a forum with many people with different views. I would never have written the ticket but I'm not in California either. Anubisss is a good guy and deserves some respect here. He was just venting. As an LEO, I've been pulled over for nonsense tickets and had to badge my way out of them. Annubisss didn't have the same options that you and I would have had in this situation.
ORIGINAL: jackj

if you look at my avatar you will see why I think you got what you had coming to you.You knew the helment you were wearingdid not meet the requirments of your state & you choose to wear it anyway. So why are you bitching about getting dinged for it????[sm=bustedsign.gif]There are many many light & great looking half helments that are DOT approved, the law on DOT in your state was written to protect you. In those states where no helment is required, then do what you want.

PS "So I was on my way to court to get my probation dismissed," why were you on probation for???

Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 PM
The Punisher
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AK97fxdwg

ORIGINAL: went_postal

I thought the only way they could get you for the DOT thing was if they pulled you over for something else... And is going 30 in a 35 really a violation? I mean... I know TECHNICALLY it is a violation of the limit, but... That just seems ODD.

Did he ask you to remove the helmet so he could inspect it or did he just go by the fact that he could not see a DOT sticker? I pulled all my DOT stickers off of ALL my helmets...
How is going 5 miles an hour UNDER the limit any kind of violation? Are we all supposed to stay AT the posted limit? "Pull over sir. I see you were only going 44 here. Can't you see it says 45? You're busted. Come along with me now." WTF???
Because going below the posted speed limit is considered impeding the flow of traffic in some states. But first you have to be actually impeding the flow of traffic, kinda like the old lady that can't see over the steering wheel going 40 in the fast lane on the highway and traffic is backing up behind her.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Anubiss,

Realize this: if the LEO wrote you doing 30 in a 35 he did you a favor. It will probably be thrown out. The judge will probably look at that, then look at the LEO and say "Why are you wasting my time?" and throw the ticket out.

No offense on LEO's - my family is full of them - but sometimes they want to see the bike or the equipment and pull you over for the heck of it. Quotas can be a funny thing.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Wow! What city was this and what LEA pulled you over? I want to make a mental note of never to go there.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Google "DOT sticker", buy one and stick it on your helmet for next time. There's no way they can prove you stuck it on there.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

have to love california

Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

anubisss,he just wanted to check out your oldlady.thats why he pulled you over .he was jealous ,so he flexed his badge muscles and wrote you a ticket,to try impress your oldlady

Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry you got nailed but...

The whole idea of "novelty helmets" has never made the least bit of sense to me in the first place....

Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to debate if we should wear helmets or not, However I don't like being told I have to wear one. Same with seat belts, I always wear my seat belt, I absolutely hate being told I have to. We have far to many laws in this country trying to protect individuals from themselves. And the bottom line is, most of all those laws were made by a politician that had his campaign contributed to by the person he is making the law to benefit.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for non DOT helmet...