General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered a new helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered a new helmet...

Over the Memorial Day weekend the wife and I rode to Nashville, TN - round trip was approximately 1600 miles. The weather wasn't too bad, not too cool, not too hot, but at times we were both sweating fairly good. Well, I was sweating, the wife, she was "glistening"

Anyway, I was fairly miserable pretty much anytime I had my helmet on; my scalp was itchy like crazy. I did what any real motorcyclist would do - I hit the forums for insight. Found several threads touching on this topic and most lead to a few common reasons that would cause this condition. Most common issues were caused by incorrect helmet fitment, helmet liner not clean and dry scalp.

Initially I thought the issue was an unclean helmet liner. I had purchased these helmets (Fulmer Half-Helmet) about 3 seasons ago. I had spent some seriously hot days under this lid, however never noticed itching this bad. It didn't make sense that both the wife and I would encounter this at the same time; different skin, different people, etc. Not saying the liners were perfectly clean, but it seemed as if the issues was symptomatic of something else. This would also rule out dry scalp. Neither of us have itchy scalps any other time, even if we sweat.

Properly fitting helmet, maybe? The helmet was always a little (and I mean just a little) too large. But why hadn't this bothered me prior? Well, it wasn't an issue on my Fatboy with the tall windshield, however last summer I traded that in for my new Streetglide - BINGO.

The itching is being caused by compound issues, helmet a touch too large, but more so related to the 'buffeting' cause while riding the SG. I noticed if I wear a do-rag, backwards hat and then the helmet very little itchy sensation. The helmet does not vibrate or move much on my head. The moment I remove either (or both) the do-rag or hat, the helmet is moving ever so slightly and I IMMEDIATELY itch. I'm not talking like an occasional itch, I mean the itching is so bad it affects my concentration on driving the bike.

Short story long, just ordered to new helmets (Gmax GM55 Half Helmet); ordered 2 sizes as well. The Fulmers were great helmets, however I think the shape is slightly off (for my head shape) and the 'buffeting' caused while riding the SG is not as forgiving and causes a lot of helmet movement. Hoping the Gmax fitment is a little different.

I will keep you posted.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
dfndr
Road Master

Thanks for post. Years ago I had similar problem. Cured by helmet liners that look like thin beanies. Different types work in different weather and different helmets. They are different thickness and I used different ones as called for. Coolmax, thermax, silk, cotton. All work differently but the all work when needed. Good luck. Ride safe.(of course, I'm sure some dick is going to suggest you wash your hair periodically!)

Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Half Throttle
Advanced

Wash your hair periodically! Ok. Somebody had to do it!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can put your helmet on over a doo rag and a baseball cap, it's way more than "a touch" too big. You need a helmet that fits.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM
ROLLn1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post, I will try some of your tips. do-rag under helmit.
I am going to try one of the HD Hybrid helmets, The liners are removable.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
If you can put your helmet on over a doo rag and a baseball cap, it's way more than "a touch" too big. You need a helmet that fits.
+1. Wear one of those wicking skull caps and that should be fine to mitigate stinking liner. Doo rag, cap means helmet is way too big.