General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little nudge here, folks...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012 | 01:26 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Yep. Very weird to pay a tool such as a credit card off every month! Dont know why more people dont get it.

I think once some folks get used to buying on credit it becomes easier.

I totally think folks should have fun but I guess there are at least 2 kinds.

People who see a credit card as a tool to TCB day to day

People who see credit as a means to gather what they want.

In all my yrs of trying to give advice to younger folks about developing good spending habits and how they will realize the benefits someday BIG TIME.

I have learned one thing:

Very few listen. They want they buy.

In this case it seems completely illogical to buy on credit what is the HD equivalent of say a Rolls Royce before you have even owned a Toyota.

Old 06-05-2012 | 01:45 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
I think once some folks get used to buying on credit it becomes easier.

I totally think folks should have fun but I guess there are at least 2 kinds.

People who see a credit card as a tool to TCB day to day

People who see credit as a means to gather what they want.

In all my yrs of trying to give advice to younger folks about developing good spending habits and how they will realize the benefits someday BIG TIME.

I have learned one thing:

Very few listen. They want they buy.

In this case it seems completely illogical to buy on credit what is the HD equivalent of say a Rolls Royce before you have even owned a Toyota.
One thing I was taught was to figure out your payment and put it in a special acc every month like you would if you bought it and when you get to 20% saved then go ahead and make your purchase. This lets you know if you can afford the payments and once you have saved the 20% and put that down on said item then the payments are lower. But I still would pay as if I didnt have the 20% down. really shortens the end of the term also.

Old 06-05-2012 | 06:12 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by getpower

I have a great union job driving concrete mixer, to where if something was to happen to the company itself, I would be able to work out of the hall and most-likely be picked up by another company. If I ever "lost" the job, the same would be able to happen, but starting out on the bottom of seniority would be tough for a bit.

The plan is to make at least a $5k down payment,
. No bills, small rent at folks, Just the cell phone bill, and the beer bill.
Shame on you!!!! this is a problem, and you don't even see it.
You have a "good job with the union" and have no bills. Let's just way for round, easy math that a union driver makes $50K (my dad was a teamster before he retired and I'm sure he made more than that 15 years ago). At $1000 a week, you're taking home $750ish ...you should be putting ATLEAST $2000 a month in the bank. your only bills are phone, beer, and a "little rent to mommy". When I was your age (man, I hate saying that), I had a heroin habit and was drinking my life away, living in a shithole (if I was lucky enough to have rent for the week)

You shouldn't be worried about financing ANYTHING- except a home, that you put more than 20% down on

I know you didn't want to hear "if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it"....but you should be paying cash, or you can't afford it..THINGS (likely) WILL NOT BE BETTER FOR YOU FINANCIALLY FOR YOU THAN THEY ARE NOW! a few years from now, you'll want a home...or your girl will, or your parents will want their house back. You'll maybe have kids, or want to travel, or whatever. Pay cash, or you can't afford it, you wont want the bill 36, 48, 60, 72 months from now (really? do people take 5 or 6 year loans on a motorcycle?)

oh, I just reread this thread, in one post FoMoCo gave you a loan for a truck that you were surprised you got a loan for, and in another post you just bought a truck for cash...which is it? or maybe you can take the loan for the bike and then pay cash for it too..none of us really care what your finances are.

Last edited by tehan2; 06-05-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2012 | 06:25 PM
zramey4
Cruiser

If it were me I would move out with the money you have, get comfortable. Then serif you can get a motorcycle. I'm 22, moved out 4 years ago. Have my own townhouse, own car, 2 dogs a fiancé and just bought my 2nd Harley. With no help or overhead from my parens or fiancé. Makes it easier the long run...that's just me though. I would rather be self sufficient out on my own then living at home with a 20k bike.

Old 06-05-2012 | 07:02 PM
chadxps
Advanced

ahead payments agreed!, i used to pay a few months ahead on my truck and the next bill due would be zero, I did that until i needed the money for something else and ended up with a 5 month cushion