General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little nudge here, folks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012 | 07:42 PM
schumacher
Club Member

Road Glide? Ultra Classic? 22?

damn dude, live a little before you get a goldwing

Old 05-31-2012 | 09:35 PM
getpower
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by schumacher

Haaa, nice.

Old 05-31-2012 | 10:30 PM
1proscoe
6th Gear

If it makes you feel any better, I have a 5yr old girl, a mortgage, and bills, etc. I was leery about a payment on a bike as well, but I'm going for it, and should have a 2012 Super Glide in the next week or so.

I have the disposable cash, after I contribute to 401k and savings. My family wants for nothing, and you only live once, right?

Do it. DO IT.

Old 06-01-2012 | 09:21 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Don't be like me and wait until you're 50 to finally get your Harley. It ain't ever secure out there. 6 months after I finally bought one, I got layed off. You can't spend your life waiting for the stars to line up just right.

If I were you, with your doubts, though, I'd get one that's got a few years on it, but in good running order. You're young and have many bikes in your future.

Old 06-05-2012 | 10:54 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by schumacher

Gee, Schumacher, anyone can buy/ride a Dyna! The fact he's even considering a Road Glide shows he's way ahead of the curve.

Old 06-05-2012 | 11:16 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

ok warning older and wiser advice:

Wanting something real bad doesn't mean you have to have it. Cash handling and dealing with your finances is a life long commitment. Many people who are in financial trouble now made decisions based on want and desire. Many people who are in their 30-40s-50s. Are comfortable and secure is because they were logical with purchases.

Anyhow, that indecision you are experiencing is your heart and mind so to speak telling you that right now is not the right time.

And you should examine your choice in bikes. Buying a huge glide as a first bike does not seem very wise to me at all. Your dirt bike experience doesn't translate very well over to driving a big glide.

At your age why would you want a bike that in my opinion limits your experience. Those things are fine if you want to go cross country but to rip around seeing things within say a 400 miles radius of where you and for a daily driver you'd be better off with something a bit less massive.

At your age there really is no where you can go with a glide that you could go with a dyna or a softail.

And it will give you much less bike to deal with than learning the ropes on a glide.

Can you pay off the loan? sure but man the amount of interest you are paying is money down the drain and you will never ever make it back.

Why not spend no more than say 12K with 5K down, shorter loan period and get a really nice Harley that you won't get smoked on interest over and when all is said and done you'll come much closer to breaking even when you sell it.

Then when your skills have increased and you have enjoyed the simplicity of a non glide, have learned to work on your bike etc you can sell the bike and take that cash and use it for a DP on a glide and by then you'll know for sure if that is what you still want.

Logical, simple and fits your desires.

Old 06-05-2012 | 11:22 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Benway
Don't be like me and wait until you're 50 to finally get your Harley. It ain't ever secure out there. 6 months after I finally bought one, I got layed off. You can't spend your life waiting for the stars to line up just right.

If I were you, with your doubts, though, I'd get one that's got a few years on it, but in good running order. You're young and have many bikes in your future.

You are right it is never secure out there. But by making good decisions whatever your income level you can do things that will make ever being non secure less painful.

I know it is boring and it sucks but if people would discipline themselves for a very short amount of time they can have a much easier life.

For example, saving enough money to cover 5-6 months of expenses and tucking it away can keep you our of debt later on and keep the sleepless nights to a minimum.

And with that cash should you ever run in to one of life's mishaps that we all experience that nest egg can make things much easier to deal with.

you don't have to wait until you are 50 and shouldn't have to. Part of the money you make you should enjoy. but having that nest egg can make you enjoy other things much easier.

Old 06-05-2012 | 11:22 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
Gee, Schumacher, anyone can buy/ride a Dyna! The fact he's even considering a Road Glide shows he's way ahead of the curve.

sportsters are a lot of fun too

Old 06-05-2012 | 12:02 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Midgard
NO worries, as long as mom aint tucking you in still, u cool with me lol Get that damn bike but seriously consider one that is slightly used and stil has the factory warranty.

Doesnt mean chit up here (mortage) Had a mortage for 6 years - went into bank for a loan - they told me I had NO credit??? wtf Not bad credit just had no credit. Came to find out that the biggest loan you wil ever take out in your life does not appy to your credit - fknin blew my mind lol

It is applied to your credit but since the folks who are giving the loans are in charge of weighing your various score inputs they will often weigh things like cars and house as low. Whereas credit cards, Firestone tire center or Sears type credit is weighed higher because in their minds it is easier to walk away from that commitment than it is to walk away from a house payment.

Although they have changed much of that line of thinking, the last few years as the chickens came home to roost.

People got home loans they couldn't afford, many furthered that by doing APR loans (stupid in most cases) compounded it even more by getting refinanced taking that money and getting loans on fun stuff they couldn't afford.

So now the banks know that many people have no problem walking away from just about any kind of loan they sign their name too which is why it is really hard to get a good loan unless you have perfect credit.

And it gets even weirder as people with perfect credit tend to not use credit in "traditional" ways. For example they may have a large monthly balance on card but pay it off every month.

Ultimately they have very complicated algorithms now to to tell us we have higher interest rates.

Old 06-05-2012 | 01:05 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
And it gets even weirder as people with perfect credit tend to not use credit in "traditional" ways. For example they may have a large monthly balance on card but pay it off every month.
Yep. Very weird to pay a tool such as a credit card off every month! Dont know why more people dont get it.

Quick Reply: Need a little nudge here, folks...