General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little nudge here, folks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012 | 03:48 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Great way to build credit.

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:01 PM
getpower
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I call Bullshit on this whole thing now. You do not understand credit ratings and scores. Your credit score is based on the fact THAT YOU HAVE borrowed money and made steady monthly payments over time and longevity, debt to income ratio, and amount of revolving credit. If you've never financed anything (and cell phones don't count because they don't report payments made unless you default on them and they put you in collections), you DO NOT have a 780 score. It's impossible. And if you were older than 22, and had even a little understanding of how the fico score works you wouldn't even try to make that claim. Bottom line is, go get whatever bike you want and then tell me what your interest rate and payment is.

That's messed up dude.

All of this information has been helping me make a better, more informed decision in the end. All I know is that I got a credit card when I was 18, bought stuff with it occasionally, payed the card off literally the same day I used it, and the credit union told me that I had an experian score of 780 when I applied for a loan for a truck a few months ago.

I ended up buying another truck that I found, with cash.

I'm not BS'ing people I don't know on a forum. That wouldn't make any sense to do.

I'm not going to sink to the level of insulting you ON A FORUM because of something you said.

I will say thanks again to all the people who have posted. The information and opinions have really helped me.

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:35 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Well you went from saying you NEVER financed anything to saying that you've had a credit card. If you did have a credit card, THAT IS FINANCING SOMETHING!!! And tell me how you paid it off the same day before even receiving the bill in the mail? Even if you would have tried to do it over the phone with a debit card it wouldn't have been processed at that point. Credit cards take a couple of days to process. Whatever. You can say "claim" whatever you want to from this point as I'm done with this thread. Like I said, I'm wasting my time, and not going to do it anymore when I feel that someone is full of it and being (politely) less than honest.

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 05-30-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2012 | 08:50 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Midgard
I can only say one thing ---

There is a bull and his steer son standing on a hill looking down upon a herd of cows. The young steer looks up at his father and says - "hey Dad, let's run down there and **** one of them cows!!" And the father bull calmly looks back down at him and says ------ "Son you have alot to learn. Let's walk down and **** em all!!!"

In other words - walk in there like "you own the place" and do what you need to do.
LMFAOROFL

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:01 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

getpower I say go for it. Look around, talk with various sales people, sit on different bikes, gather information. The best thing that gives you negotiating power is knowledge.

Now as to maybe having to sell the bike in the future, that is why you make the best deal you can now by negotiating hard so that when you do sell it your losses are minimal. No one should figure on making money by selling their bikes, you're going to get less. Just minimize that by making a great deal now so if you have to sell quickly in a pinch, it won't hurt as much. Take care of your bike well and Harleys hold their value pretty well and you'll be fine.

Do a search for "skishing". That is what I do. Think it takes ***** to buy a bike? Try skishing in the middle of the night

Go get your bike dude and live your life

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:25 PM
getpower
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doublerunner
getpower I say go for it. Look around, talk with various sales people, sit on different bikes, gather information. The best thing that gives you negotiating power is knowledge.

Now as to maybe having to sell the bike in the future, that is why you make the best deal you can now by negotiating hard so that when you do sell it your losses are minimal. No one should figure on making money by selling their bikes, you're going to get less. Just minimize that by making a great deal now so if you have to sell quickly in a pinch, it won't hurt as much. Take care of your bike well and Harleys hold their value pretty well and you'll be fine.

Do a search for "skishing". That is what I do. Think it takes ***** to buy a bike? Try skishing in the middle of the night

Go get your bike dude and live your life
Thanks man. I've had a lot of people tell me to just go for it.

I'll see what I can do here pretty soon and hopefully I can manage to do that.

I checked out that "skishing" deal. That's something to try in the future. I'd never heard of it before.

I've been to a dealer already and the guy gave me what my buddy seemed to be a good price. Then I emailed another dealer and he replied back, telling me that no matter what other prices I've got, he'd beat it.

I'd imagine that I would be able to go back to the first dealer with the second dealer's price and he might work with it, but we'll see what happens, like I said.

Old 05-30-2012 | 11:44 PM
Mickey D
Road Master

I've been on a lot of different forums, guns, several H-D, auto and truck repair forums, LEO...
I have to say that the OP comes across very mature, intelligent and level headed for 22. He writes well, using proper writing skills and punctuation compared to many other young folks I have seen over the years.
My advice would would be similar to what I tell my 23 year old son. Right now the housing market is the lowest it's been in the past 10-15 years. The mortgage interest rates are fairly good right now. If you feel you nave a secure well paying job (most union jobs are), Think about getting a home first. You have a whole life ahead to get that H-D.
Now if you are satisfied living with your folks and they are comfortable with it, and you still want an H-D, I suggest looking for a preowned model. Less money and insurance costs are lower. Gain some riding experience for a couple years, and if you still enjoy after that, sell and get the bike of your dreams.

My best to you,
Mike

Old 05-31-2012 | 01:38 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by getpower
Thanks man. I've had a lot of people tell me to just go for it.

I'll see what I can do here pretty soon and hopefully I can manage to do that.

I checked out that "skishing" deal. That's something to try in the future. I'd never heard of it before.

I've been to a dealer already and the guy gave me what my buddy seemed to be a good price. Then I emailed another dealer and he replied back, telling me that no matter what other prices I've got, he'd beat it.

I'd imagine that I would be able to go back to the first dealer with the second dealer's price and he might work with it, but we'll see what happens, like I said.
Getpower, when or if you buy a bike, post a thread and tell us about it and your experience. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and I think you'll make an informed decision that's right for you. Good luck.

Mike

Old 05-31-2012 | 03:06 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Originally Posted by Midgard
4 great answers - don't bother reading anymore after this - just go get that damn bike you have been dreaming of and start enjoying it.

Oh. and not sure about down there, but if you end up financing through HD they will finance you on private sale bikes as well.
For a $400 "documentation fee" to the dealer, on top of whatever they make on the loan itself.

As for "getting ahead" ... you can pay more than is due, but it just shortens the term - that's what I'm doing. If you're really concerned, bank an extra couple of payments in a "Christmas Club" account, so If you do lose the job, you can make a couple of months.

Of course, sound financial planning says to have six months worth of bills in the bank anyway. I just don't think I know anyone who's actually done that.

Old 05-31-2012 | 07:14 PM
getpower
|
Intermediate

I will make a thread if it all works out.

As for a house, I might kick myself in the butt later on, but I don't feel like it's the right time for me to buy one right now. I've got a few more years for that one.

I do believe that it's great advice though, and I am not completely ruling it out, but maybe I would buy a place outside of where I live where it's much cheaper and rent out or something.

Quick Reply: Need a little nudge here, folks...