General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little nudge here, folks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012 | 10:22 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by getpower
By the way, I have great credit, just no history that applies (I guess is how you'd day it).

I have had a monthly cell phone bill, reoccurring for about 5 years, but for some reason they don't count that towards my credit.

Basically, credit score of 780, but no long term history of payments.

Huh, go figure, and Ford somehow approved me for a 5.99% loan for 6 years on a $40k truck. With 7k down and no co-signer. Come on, they can always play with the numbers. The dealer is personal friends with my buddy, so I am sure that something comfortable can be worked out for me and something doable can be worked out for them.

I am not so much worried about the financing and dealing right now so much as I am worried about walking through that front door ready to deal.
Getpower, with a 780 credit score you should'nt have any problems with financing then, since it's a secured loan, and you are putting money down. Go to a bank or credit union, give them a ballpark # you're looking to finance and they'll qoute you a rate. You will get a better rate on a new bike vs. a used one. Given the uncertainty you voiced about your employment, go for a longer term at a slightly higher APR, which keeps the payments low, a benefit when your money flow is reduced. Then pay additional money on the principal every month, shortening the time you pay on the loan. Make an extra payment or two in the first few months of the loan and you'll have that built in "grace period" if financial misfortune should befall you. Pay for an extended warranty up front in cash (5 years/unlimited mileage on a 2012 should run about $1099 + tax), and your new bike is covered for the life of the loan. Don't tack on a bunch of accessories to the sale price of the bike, but add them as your finances permit. This keeps the initial purchase price lower, and with your $5000 down payment you'll never be "upside down". Make sense?

Just do your homework first, which you already appear to be doing. Armed with that information you will be ready to deal when you walk in. Everyone loses their virginity at some point. This might just be the right place and time to lose yours.

Last edited by PghCycle24; 05-30-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-30-2012 | 10:38 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
negative ghostrider.

i've been making extra payments on my bike and my next payment isn't due until oct 2013. i think that qualifies as 'a couple months ahead'

granted, that is with the credit union, not hd, but you didn't specify, just made the blanket statement.

i think you just blew your whole 'incognito' thing there.

i think you're being pretty smart about the whole thing. but a lot of it is just fear of the unknown. never having had a loan, it's hard to suddenly place yourself in that much debt. but if you have a good job, and no short term prospect of losing it, then go for it. make extra payments, and pay it off early, then you'll be right back where you are now (no debt), but you'll have a nice harley to show for it. and if you didn't notice, i'm pretty partial to the road glide myself.
It must just depend on who your lender is then, because all of the payments that I have ever made ahead have always come off of the back end of the loan.

Old 05-30-2012 | 10:44 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by getpower
By the way, I have great credit, just no history that applies (I guess is how you'd day it).

I have had a monthly cell phone bill, reoccurring for about 5 years, but for some reason they don't count that towards my credit.

Basically, credit score of 780, but no long term history of payments.

Huh, go figure, and Ford somehow approved me for a 5.99% loan for 6 years on a $40k truck. With 7k down and no co-signer. Come on, they can always play with the numbers. The dealer is personal friends with my buddy, so I am sure that something comfortable can be worked out for me and something doable can be worked out for them.

I am not so much worried about the financing and dealing right now so much as I am worried about walking through that front door ready to deal.
I call Bullshit on this whole thing now. You do not understand credit ratings and scores. Your credit score is based on the fact THAT YOU HAVE borrowed money and made steady monthly payments over time and longevity, debt to income ratio, and amount of revolving credit. If you've never financed anything (and cell phones don't count because they don't report payments made unless you default on them and they put you in collections), you DO NOT have a 780 score. It's impossible. And if you were older than 22, and had even a little understanding of how the fico score works you wouldn't even try to make that claim. Bottom line is, go get whatever bike you want and then tell me what your interest rate and payment is.

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 05-30-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2012 | 11:04 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master

Originally Posted by rooti
Don't be stuck on only buying the 103 motor. A good stage 1 96 will give you more then a stock 103. There are a lot of one year harleys that don't even have 1k on them yet and can be had for a 5-7K savings. Why not consider that and give these garage queens another chance

Bought my '03 bike last year with less than 900 miles on it (Kinda the ultimate garage queen). Bought it thru the HD dealer on the day they received it on trade, and got a truly smoking deal! I saved considerably more than 5-7K. IMHO, it was still a new bike when I got it.

I got financing thru the dealership, as well as the HD extended warranty. Dealer freshened it up, did the 1,000 mile service and replaced both fork seals because one had started leaking. It runs perfectly and has ever since.

It's got much more chrome & equipment than I ever would have considered otherwise (including the 103) and since it's a CVO, it's definately going to depreciate much less than if I had bought a new 2011.

These deals aren't unheard of. A few weeks after I got mine & was taking it in to get the fork seals replaced, the dealer was unloading 2 other older CVO garage queens that someone was trading in for a new bike. I think both were Softails, probably around '06-'08, and they were REALLY nice! They didn't last more than a few days before they were sold.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:12 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I call Bullshit on this whole thing now. You do not understand credit ratings and scores. Your credit score is based on the fact THAT YOU HAVE borrowed money and made steady monthly payments over time and longevity, and debt to income ratio. If you've never financed anything (and cell phones don't count because they don't report payments made unless you default on them and they put you in collections), you DO NOT have a 780 score. It's impossible. And if you were older than 22, and had even a little understanding of how the fico score works you wouldn't even try to make that claim. Bottom line is, go get whatever bike you want and then tell me what your interest rate and payment is.
A pertinent observation, Jeff. If OP was BS'ing us, then he'll find out the hard way when he goes to finance the bike. We only have his statements here to go by, and if he provides false information he'll get advice he will find to be relatively useless.

Last edited by PghCycle24; 05-30-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-30-2012 | 12:15 PM
TyeAdair
Cruiser

If your to scared to buy it, your to scared to ride it. STFU and go get the damn thing.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:51 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
A pertinent observation, Jeff. If OP was BS'ing us, then he'll find out the hard way when he goes to finance the bike. We only have his statements here to go by, and if he provides false information he'll get advice he will find to be relatively useless.
Yes, you are completely correct. I just get very frustrated with trying to give helpful, informative advice (when asked for it), and find out that the whole premise is bullshit. In his own words, he capitalized the word NEVER when he said he's never financed anything, and then go on to say that is score is 780, is complete, utter non-sense and a lie. It lets you know that all of your words have been completely wasted! Why bother asking the f'ing questions then?

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:57 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

My dad pinched pennies until the day he passed & left our mom alone + scraping cash to bury him. I live 180-degrees from this philosophy & believe you only live once so why not enjoy. Financing's a game & all you need to do is research some good lending institutions, throw some $$$ down & ride off. Good luck & enjoy life!!!

Old 05-30-2012 | 01:04 PM
IDSTC
Cruiser

A banker will always find a way to give you more credit than you can afford. I know you have your mind set on a certain model, but if you are starting out and having these thoughts the best advice would be to buy used.

The biggest hit is the first year of ownership on a new bike. Why not let someone pay that year for you? The way I look at it is that the bike is either new or used. It will be used after I own it for a year anyway, and nobody is ever going to care if I paid for the first year or not.

I had a relative once who said, "you know how it is, you are always upside down in everything you own." I replied that "No, I don't, I buy stuff from people who are upside down and if I ever have any trouble I can get out easily."

Old 05-30-2012 | 03:05 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Did you have this much trouble convincing yourself to remove her bra the first time...
Good grief! just go for it!!! And by the way...ride safe

Quick Reply: Need a little nudge here, folks...