General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little nudge here, folks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:04 AM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer

Jump.... I took the Electra Glide out for 2 short rides and I was sold, I was asked if I wanted to try the Road Glide or any other bike but I knew what I wanted. But then again I got a GREAT DEAL and a SUPER intrest rate (2.09% for 72mo), But being Military I have that padding knowing I'll have that steady paycheck. Like others have said test ride them, and get what you are comfortable with.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:06 AM
getpower
|
Intermediate

Wow, very surprised at the amount of responses so far. This post hasn't been up for all that long.

I do plan on shopping around for loans. But as far as buying used, I am kind of stuck to the 2012-2013 models when they come out. The reason is because I am very used to the 103 motor, and have ridden a couple of 96s after getting used to the bigger motor. I feel a difference, but thats a personal opinion and preference thing.

So, I'd just rather buy brand new. I can afford it, and I know where the bike has been for sure. I'm not much for all the bling bling stuff, just a bike with some exhaust is all I'm after.

I've read everyone's posts so far, but I don't think its such a great idea to post where I drive in. There are just too many people I know that could find this and I don't wanna hear it.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:09 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by getpower
I'm not much for all the bling bling stuff, just a bike with some exhaust is all I'm after.
Yeah me either..

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:09 AM
getpower
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
Where are you driving mixer at?
Unless you screw up you shouldnt have to much trouble taking care of the bike even if you do lose your job. Just get a couple months ahead, that will give you a cushion till you can land another job if something does happen.
Another way to view this is to have a couple months of payments set aside in the bank or whatever so that you have a cushion.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:11 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

getpower - mind if I ask if you own(mortgage) a house or do you rent?

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:13 AM
getpower
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kowan
Yeah me either..
LOL! I see that.

Seriously though, I'm more of a blacked-out, no chrome guy, but they don't offer the RG like that, so maybe some powder coating, but not a lot of moneys worth of stuff is expected.

You should see my truck, painted/powder coated bumpers and frying-pan coated wheels. The white-walled BFG's were even mounted inward.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:15 AM
getpower
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Midgard
Gonna make me sound like a loser, but I view it as smart. No bills, small rent at folks, but not in the way. Just the cell phone bill, and the beer bill.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:15 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Midgard
I'm guessing that since he said that he's never financed anything before he doesn't have a mortgage.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:17 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Look, you only live once, if you want a harley you can buy one and still address your concerns. First you have to decide which model you want and how you want it set up. You can do this by test driving them or go to harley days when they have them all out and ride them all. You have to be strong enough to not fall in love with a peticular bike or they will get you.

Once you know what bike you want, start checking into the financing and how much you can spend for what year and that way you know around what year you can get and how much you can spend to get the payment that is comfortable for you.

Third, take your time and find that perfect bike that falls into the specs you have and shop craigs list, private adds, dealership, werever until you find it. It's best to buy the bike in the off season, that's when you'll get your best price. You want to find a bike that has close to what you want on it because anything you add is where you will lose your money if you have to sell it. Be strong, be persistant, don't settle.

My first bike was a 2006 sportster which I found on craigs list. He wanted 5500 for it and talked to him on the phone...he told me he was getting divorced so he had to sell it quick. I looked at it and gave him 4500 for it and rode it for 2 years. I traded it in for 4500 at the harley dealer. I tried to sell it but I never got any action on it.

So I rode it for 2 years and got what I paid...I lost the 1500 I spent in the 2 years on upgrades but I knew I would never see that money so I was happy.
My second bike is brand spanking new, terrible investment, never will get anywhere close to what I have in it. I could sell it to the dealership for what I owe on it if I got into trouble but I've had the same job for 30 years so its kinda safe bet.

Good luck

Last edited by rooti; 05-30-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2012 | 12:20 AM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer

Ouch, no credit is worst than bad credit.... my first no credit loan was 29.5%, made a few payments then got a lower intrest loan to pay off the higher one.

Quick Reply: Need a little nudge here, folks...