General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best helmet money can buy. Shoei? Top of the line without spending to much $

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoei makes a great Helmet.

Been using a RF1000 for 5 years now and I won't hesitate to upgrade to a RF1100 or a X-12 soon.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
AmericanMuscle
Tourer

Went with an RF1100. Worth every penny...

Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Just received my HJC RPS yesterday for $339 on Amazon. Matte Black in XXL. Removed all the stickers. Fits snug on my head and should break in nicely. Its a bit lighter than my old HJC CLST that I had for a while and really liked and I hope at least as quiet. I got this one because I hope its a lot quieter than the 3/4 helmet that I currently wear and pretty light.

BTW, the HJC RPS and Shoei Qwest are pretty similar in fit and price. I went with the HJC because they fit my head well and I can't try any other brands so am relying on experience of the brand.

I have a ride to Vigan from Manila over the weekend, about a 1600 km ride. Typhoon season is rolling in early in the Philippines so want a FF for the heavy rains.

Will give a review next week.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,141 Likes on 12,207 Posts

Personally, I've never heard of a helmet actually failing because it's cheap (as long as it's DOT or Snell rated). Without going into the already burned to a crisp debate on FF vs other helmets, I'm just going to say the helmet you wear is the safest. Sounds like a smart *** comment, but I think it's where Shoei, Arai, Schuberth, etc, are coming from. They use top materials and have an excellent fit. If it's comfortable you're more likely to wear it.

That said Bell and Scorpion (among others I'm sure) make great helmets. I have a Scorpion exo700 that I like quite a bit. I also have other helmets from Bell and HJC that are decent.

I just have a hard time rationalizing $700 for the Shoei I like. Maybe someday.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used ( looks, smells new ) Shoei RF1100 yesterday for $100.00. The day before I bought the helmet, I/we helped the neighbor kid after he t-boned a jeep at 30+ mph on his scooter. He did not have any safety gear on and that's his choice, which I support. But he was lucky that his face wasn't more cut to **** than it already was. Some broken bones, concussion and a few less teeth, but lucky kid all things considered. So, I'm going to try a FF for awhile. I had the purchase in the works before the kid crashed, but his particular crash made me appreciate how a ff helmet may have saved his face some of the damage that he suffered. But you never know. Everybody ride safe.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Shoei ALL THE WAY!! Best helmet, hands down. Arai are good too. Look at my avatar. X-11

Last edited by DresserDude; 06-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 AM
jward
Tourer

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
I have been looking at helmets all day. Talked with a friend he said Shoei was rated at the top. I think I am going with a full face for now. I want it to have a clear shield with ability to wear sun glasses under. Is Shoei worth the price? I want the best ventelation and best chance of walking away alive...

I like this one...
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....-1100&h=18&t=1
Arai most comfortable....Shoei is best I can afford...

Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain

Agreed 100%. I as well am on my fourth (RF-1000 currently) Tried KBC,HJC,Scorpion and I ended up selling them all and went back to my old friend the Shoei! Worn FF since I was a teen so no adjustment period for me....

Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Between my wife & I, we have a ****-load of helmets we've tried over the past 6 years. Everything from a $14.99 novelty to the newest Shoei Noetec.

Long story short, we're both wearing Shoei helmets (unless I hit PA and stash the lid) This video is what sold me on my latest purchase.
LOVE the ventilation and on cooler mornings actually have to close the vents as the top of my head was getting cold. The built in sun visor was the icing on the cake.
Never thought I'd say these words, but I love this helmet...

Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What I don't like about the Neo is it has all those protrusions and openings to potentially leak and create wind noise. And it seems unnecessarily fiddly w/ all those layers of shields and tiny controls that don't seem operable w/ heavy gloves, but add bulk, complexity and extra stuff to rattle or vibrate.

Quick Reply: Best helmet money can buy. Shoei? Top of the line without spending to much $