General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best helmet money can buy. Shoei? Top of the line without spending to much $

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by afkbrad
Don't wear a street bike helmet while riding a Harley. Everyone will laugh as you ride by.

If you are stuck on a full face then consider other brands besides Shoei.

I wore a full face the first six months I rode a Harley and then went to a half helmet. Never looked back. I'll take the freedom of my half helmet all day long over a hot, sweaty, fog filled full face.

Take a look at Fulmer half helmets. They're DOT approved and good looking. Did I mention they're inexpensive for the quality?
I have witnessed 3 or 4 of the local 81 guys around here wearing full face Shoei multi colored helmets. go figure. Myself, I wear a full face shoei RF1100.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM
AmericanMuscle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by House
Like others have said already, the protection from manufacturer to manufacturer is similar. Don't buy a helmet based on the price - make sure it fits your head. I value my head greatly and found a $150 HJC to be the best for me. It's not sexy, but it fits like a glove, unlike the shoei and arai,etc I tried on.
Had an HJC for my dirty bike. Light weight, super comfort, ride in blaze heat with a full face but did not sweat much. Might just go with another HJC. I want to bounce around the bike shops and try a ton on. As long as it's SNELL might as well go with an HJC if they're all about the same safety wise.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
Had an HJC for my dirty bike. Light weight, super comfort, ride in blaze heat with a full face but did not sweat much. Might just go with another HJC. I want to bounce around the bike shops and try a ton on. As long as it's SNELL might as well go with an HJC if they're all about the same safety wise.
This was an HJC... very comfortable helmet, light weight, breathed well, and did it's job in protecting my noggin.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

I have had 2 HJC FF helmets and road noise was a problem on both helmets. The 2nd HJC I bought was a carbon fiber touted to be their lightest. I had diifficulty getting my glasses on with both helmets. I just bought a Arai FF That fits like a face glove. It is as light as the carbon fiber one. The padding fits my head much better than the HJC helmets. Road noise quiets a lot. I can put my glasses on the easiest with this helmet also. Ventilation is terrific and sometimes almost too good. Don't look at the price tag when thinking helmets. Think how much is my head worth if I crash. Buy what fits you the best and offers the most protection. If you ever do go down none of the above posts will mean anything if you get injured. A rider that will laugh at another rider for wearing what they want is nothing more than an a$$hat and doesn't deserve my attention.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Mickman77
Novice

You guys that swear by half helmets should spend some time in the E.R. And see someone whose had half their face torn off because of no chin bar.... You can get the best of anything made to protect yourself but, if it's your time, it's your time. Personally, I wear a Shoei RF-1100. They should be replaced every 5-6 years due to deterioration of the liner. If involved in an accident and injuries are sustained, having had an 8 year old helmet on may be a way for the ins co to deny your coverage.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 PM
harleypr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
I have been looking at helmets all day. Talked with a friend he said Shoei was rated at the top. I think I am going with a full face for now. I want it to have a clear shield with ability to wear sun glasses under. Is Shoei worth the price? I want the best ventelation and best chance of walking away alive...

I like this one...
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....-1100&h=18&t=1
Probably already been posted but ARAI is #1 for fit, quality and value. Your melon, you decide what protection you want and need. Me, I don't have a $49.95 head. I put the value slightly higher!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:31 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azblackbird
Well then... you should have no problem posting those reports and findings for all here to see... right?
Wrong. HDF doesn't lend itself to downloading the reference material from our AI programs, and I doubt that people want to sift through all the technical documents anyways.

Nice try. Always a pleasure jousting with a couple of "keyboard warriors" like you and Village Idiot.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 AM
azblackbird
Tourer

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
Wrong. HDF doesn't lend itself to downloading the reference material from our AI programs, and I doubt that people want to sift through all the technical documents anyways.
I would! The more technical the better... scan them in and post them up. I'm sure there are many here who would be interested in reading through them.

Tell ya what, I'll even make it easy on you... previously you quoted:

A full face helmet isn't necessarily the safest. There have been studies that have shown that the FF helmet increases the chance for cervical spine injury.
Let's do this... just to prove that you're not talking out of your ***, how about posting some sort of credible data/evidence that explicitly states that wearing a full face helmet increases the chance of a cervical spinal injury vs. over wearing any other helmet. Surely with all your resources and astuteness in the accident investigation field, you can come up with something... right?

If you can post credible/verifiable data attesting to that fact, then you have my full respect. If not, then I'm guessing many here (as will I) will see you as the typical blowhard law dawg that just enjoys talking out of his ***.

So what's it gonna be?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Most of the studies focus on whether the rider was or was not wearing a helmet. Also, the studies mention that many cervical spine injuries occur because someone tried to remove the helmet from an accident victim who was not knowledgeable. Leave the helmet on the down rider and let the paramedic do their job.

Motorcycle helmets associated with lower risk of cervical spine injury: debunking the myth.
Crompton JG, Bone C, Oyetunji T, Pollack KM, Bolorunduro O, Villegas C, Stevens K, Cornwell EE 3rd, Efron DT, Haut ER, Haider AH.
Source
Department of Surgery, University of California-Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA. jcrompton@mednet.ucla.edu
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
There has been a repeal of the universal helmet law in several states despite definitive evidence that helmets reduce mortality, traumatic brain injury, and hospital expenditures. Opponents of the universal helmet law have successfully claimed that helmets should not be required because of greater torque on the neck, which is thought to increase the likelihood of a cervical spine injury. There is currently insufficient evidence to counter claims that helmets do not increase the risk of cervical spine injury after a motorcycle collision. The objective of this study was to determine the impact of motorcycle helmets on the likelihood of developing a cervical spine injury after a motorcycle collision.
STUDY DESIGN:
We reviewed cases in the National Trauma Databank (NTDB) v7.0 involving motorcycle collisions. Multiple logistic regression was used to analyze the independent effect of helmets on cervical spine injury. Cases were adjusted for age, race, sex, insurance status, anatomic (Injury Severity Score) and physiologic injury severity (systolic blood pressure < 90 mmHg), and head injury (Abbreviated Injury Score > 3).
RESULTS:
Between 2002 and 2006, 62,840 cases of motorcycle collision were entered into the NTDB; 40,588 had complete data and were included in the adjusted analysis. Helmeted riders had a lower adjusted odds (0.80 [CI 0.72 to 0.90]) and a lower proportion of cervical spine injury (3.5% vs 4.4%, p < 0.05) compared with nonhelmeted riders.
CONCLUSIONS:
Helmeted motorcyclists are less likely to suffer a cervical spine injury after a motorcycle collision. This finding challenges a long-standing objection to mandatory helmet use that claims helmets are associated with cervical spine injury. Re-enactment of the universal helmet law should be considered in states where it has been repealed.
Copyright © 2011 American College of Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Also, on our last ride, one member had a slow speed crash and landed on his head. Wearing a half cap, bad neck injury. Don't know if wearing a ff would have protected any better.

Last edited by DonN; 05-31-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:20 AM
azblackbird
Tourer

Originally Posted by DonN
CONCLUSIONS:
Helmeted motorcyclists are less likely to suffer a cervical spine injury after a motorcycle collision. This finding challenges a long-standing objection to mandatory helmet use that claims helmets are associated with cervical spine injury. Re-enactment of the universal helmet law should be considered in states where it has been repealed.
Copyright © 2011 American College of Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Gee, American College of Surgeons. Do they not know that we have somebody here that's way smarter than them, and has credible evidence to the contrary to refute their findings.

BTW... thanks DonN for your contribution. There's more to those studies, but I want the law dawg to post his findings.

Last edited by azblackbird; 05-31-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: thanks for the post DonN

Quick Reply: Best helmet money can buy. Shoei? Top of the line without spending to much $