General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best helmet money can buy. Shoei? Top of the line without spending to much $

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys are making me feel so guilty I'm actually considering buying a ff. So ff is still much safer than a modular, or have the rocket scientist found a way to keep that area solid during a crash?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I ordered my scorpion exo-400 online from motorcycle superstore. Went by the sizing chart and fit perfectly. Best helmet I've had I don't get any fogging at all. Only problem I've ever had with it is when I'm flying down the road 80mph, and turn to look the face shield comes up just a bit and then closes right away. But it was $65 when I bought it so I can't complain.

You can also send it back if it doesn't fit.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FF is the ultimate in protection. But a 3/4 w/ multi-position flip-up shield is the ultimate in ventilation options.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Some shields like my Arai can be opened just a crack. It still provides eye protection but you get extra air flowing on your face. My eyes tear up above 30mph with the shield fully up, even if I'm wearing glasses.
I'm well aware. My Shoei X-11 has a one detent opening as well with a very positive engagement open or closed.

I flip it up higher for the shading effect and have even more ventilation and excellent optics.

If your eyes are tearing up, do you use a windshield? Otherwise it could be as simple as good wrap-around glasses.

Originally Posted by ctwith3
You guys are making me feel so guilty I'm actually considering buying a ff. So ff is still much safer than a modular, or have the rocket scientist found a way to keep that area solid during a crash?
As I wrote earlier, they are safe enough to meet DOT, but so far none meet SNELL. My guess is to make them strong enough, it would add too much weight.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty_13
Another option is the Nolan modulars, I've got the N103 and really like it, there is a new model out that has a larger shield and is supposed to have better ventilation.
GF took a hell of a spill while she was taking the MSF course, she said if she hadn't been wearing one of their full face helmets she would have really been torn up,bad enough she did have a concussion! So she ragged me enough that I said okay, when we get to Daytona we'll buy new helmets (and we have a 10,000 mile trip coming up). We went to The Helmet Shop www.thehelmetshop.com and shopped/tried on many, walked out with two Nolan 104's.. Fortunately, we haven't tested them yet, but they are comfortable, far more so than I expected, and light. You can't appreciate the ventilation they have however when you have a windshield, without a windshield the vents work well. We got caught in rain storm for about an hour riding last week, no fogging. I'm impressed.