General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best helmet money can buy. Shoei? Top of the line without spending to much $

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
i believe they garuntee a helmet will help limit injurys sustained, but may not prevent them
So what you are saying is that once we buy the Shoei we can ride at speeds in excess of 100 mph and we should tell the judge Coyote said it was okay? Cool.

Last edited by user 46092; 06-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool My $0.02

I read the first few and last few pages of this comprehensive topic thread.

You can ignore the price tag because it is what's most comfortable that matters. That said, common sense dictates that what's most expensive should be the comfiest.

Common sense is not always right. I have a "long-oval" head, so the products of MOST major helmet manufacturers don't fit me. I tried on a $chuberth helmet -- which I'd consider to be the gold standard for modulars -- and I just couldn't make it fit comfortably over my Alien forehead. Same goes for $hoei lids. I had an HJC that was two sizes too large, which created all sorts of wind noise.

I wound up with an Arai Signet-Q, the only helmet on the market which is designed specifically for us long-headed folks. [This is the part where someone will pop up to contradict me and mention a few other brands; if so, I'd be happy to look into it.] But even though this was the perfect and only solution for me, it doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Go enjoy trying on 50 different helmets like I did. At least it's a learning experience.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The safety rating is one thing, but comfort or lack thereof is what will have you wearing it or leaving it on the shelf. Ventilation in warm/hot weather is very important or you'll be miserable. As said earlier the cheek pads can be removed for washing or to adjust the fit for you also.

My FF is a Shoei X-Eleven and it's been an excellent helmet with great ventilation. I can feel the breeze blowing over my scalp when at freeway speeds.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
azblackbird, my sources come from motorcycle crash investigation studies and Emergency Medical System sources. My Background consists of 10 years in EMS with certifications in all truama disciplines and instructor certifications. My 18 year LE background includes multiple levels of accident investigation and reconstruction, as well as Motorcycle accident reconstruction. I have access to studies in every aspect of motor cycle crashes, occupant and rider kinematics, as well as more exotic formulas and studies that require a scientific calculator or sophisticated computer program to implement.

"Here, let me educate you a little bit." Really???

I stand by my post.
that doesn't beat wikipedia... lol.

I wonder if these folks realize that bulk of the data cited for helmet policy is produced, paid for and signed off by the insurance industry.

There are also studies that show that the plastic coatings, paints and fancy vents on top of full face helmets can in fact dig in to the deck causing a stoppage of the head even for a split second while the body continues.

At the right angles this stoppage can create massive vertebral fracturing.

Then some numb nuts runs up and yanks the helmet off so you can breathe or to restore an airway and that also does damage.

No I am not citing sources, this is a forum not my Master's thesis. I did my research found this information it is readily;y available.

I would like to suggest that anyone doing "research" first ensure that they are not pulling data provided by insurance industry funding.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
No doubt you have a lot of experience, but you can't self-cite yourself as expert testimony. Were you published anywhere that you can link too?

Sure he can this is a forum not a court of law, not a fact finding commission, not a thesis or PhD candidate group. It is a discussion. The folly of people demanding someone cite sources via links on a forum like this ignores common sense, reality and experience and instead trumpets a link to a study that may or may not be done to the proper standards.

Hint: The best research and studies if we wanted to get serious and start citing cost money. Free studies may be a good starting point but the real independent research will only be available through pay for sites at 5-25 and more a pop.

Just a bit silly especially when the guy stated and opinion and that opinion did not say FF helmets are going to kill everyone etc etc.

And finally the information he has gotten is probably more relevant than test dummy research. Anyhow.... sorry drives me nuts when people get to the whole cite your source stuff on a forum.

Last edited by RoaringRigid; 06-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
Yes, I imagine you are an expert in that area, hence your handle on this forum.

You can't out argue stupid especially when they are willing to use it.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ctwith3
So what you are saying is that once we buy the Shoeing we can ride at speeds in excess of 100 mph and we should tell the judge Coyote said it was okay? Cool.
/
wtf? no what i said was a helmet is only garuneed to limit head injurys that would or maybe sustained during an accident over not wearing one. so how in the f""'k do you go from that to me saying it is ok to exceed 100mph?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
What's the matter? Don't have anything original? Come back when you can think of something not so boring.

^^^

Because the "expert witless" is the end all on helmet knowledge. Down with full face helmets! Outlaw the obviously unsafe safety devices! We should definitely take him for his word since he's obviously way to important to actually provide data to back up his opinions.

I'll take a cup of that STFU when he proves that people wearing full face helmets are injured and killed more often than those not wearing them due to injuries or deaths credited to the helmet. That, or you can go on believing what everyone tells you. You know sitting on a motorcycle makes your IQ go up 20 points? I'm just to busy to provide the facts.

Jesus Christ you are a whiny *** douche bag, you are acting like a ****ing child. He didn't say all FF helmet wearers are stupid or they will die or that anyone wearing one is a moron. HE like many here are having a discussion. I COULD understand if he did that but he didn't. Unless, you are overly sensitive and pissy. Which apparently you are.

So you pop in with your cops suck and I am going to show my *** to everyone here and everyone will think I am cool because I am giving a cop **** over the internet bullshit. I for one am impressed with your bravery.

I think with the Village idiot handle you are over estimating yourself.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Why exactly is an insurance funded study so bad? Helmets protect, no doubt about that. They don't like big payouts for injuries, the research they fund will find the best answers.

Is there a problem with that?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
My FF is a Shoei X-Eleven and it's been an excellent helmet with great ventilation. I can feel the breeze blowing over my scalp when at freeway speeds.
So what do you wear when you're not on the highway and it's really hot?

Quick Reply: Best helmet money can buy. Shoei? Top of the line without spending to much $