General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

protocol for leading a group

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default protocol for leading a group

went this weekend from chicago to dc and back - 1900 miles in 3 1/2 days

there were 4 of us. i was the lead the majority of the time.

there was one guy who appeared to constantly wanted to go slower than the rest of use. occassionaly one of us would hang back with him.

there were many times that i could not see him.

so whats the protocal - leader constantly slow down to accomodate those that don't keep up, or others need to keep up.

usually i would go 2 miles over the limit on open roads, and on the speed limit thru towns or where limit was lowered.

there was one time when the limit was 70, we where going 65 and we lost him, had to pull off and wait for him to catch up.

comments?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

We talk about everybodys comfortable interstate speed before we leave, generally we like to ride 3 to 5 above or with traffic flow. On interstate there is no reason for him not to keep up. At the first rest st I would take him aside and see what the problem was. If no problem, when we started back riding I would get up to speed and set the cruise. The rest would be up to him to keep up. If he has no problem, there should be no problem, otherwise he is just controlling the group..

Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I grew weary of the same thing with a couple of riders that sometimes go on small group rides when we have them. They don't get invited much anymore.
It was a PITA 'cause the main group was ready to continue right about the time the 'slowies' showed up. And the 'slowies' would then demand their rest stop/pee-pee time.
Worked out OK since the group rides are now two riders smaller most of the time. When they do ride along I give them the final destination so we can all ride at the pace we want.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually we set the standard before departure. If they can't keep up, (and seriously who can't drive 5 - 10 over?) they know the destination.

If somebody feels uncomfortable riding at the speed limit maybe they shouldn't be riding at all.

cheers

Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here, discuss with the group beforehand and set a speed. If someone doesn't keep up, the leader will mention it to them once. After that you get left behind.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our problem used to be with some riders only keeping up only when they were either leading or very near the front. If they were closer to the back they would fall back to completely outta sight. I cured group riding problems by not riding in groups anymore, I just ask where is the destination and tell them I will meet them there.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As a road captain I think I would have talked to him, as others have mentioned, then put him in the #2 slot and see how he did. That way he would not have to deal with the according effect and he may also feel more comfortable having just one bike in front of him. If the problem persisted then suggest he ride on his own to the destination but as a group you may want to wait at a rest stop just to make sure he is OK.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride with the same couple of groups regularly. We always have a couple that will eventually ride faster then the pack. We let them go since we know our next destination. If there is a problem, we are behind them and will be there soon. I also have one close friend in our group that has got in the habit of riding a ways behind the pack. Always in sight of the group but not in formation. I will drop back and ride with him. We have rode together so long that everyone knows where everyone is comfortable. To answer your question. Whoever is in the lead needs to set a pace that everyone is aware of before hand and comfortable. Perpetual laggards get left home because if you don't keep up with the group. Your not with the group.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I lead most of the time and have the same problem. I ride the speed limit or slightly above, but one in the group tends to ride slower than the rest at times, especially around curves. There's never more than a 50 yard separation, though and since it's usually just 4 or 5 of us, we kind of tolerate it... until her husband yells at her about it!

However, etiquette in those situations is for the leader to make the hand signal for tightening up the group. It also helps to have someone at the rear who can "push" a little but, too. It's just safer if everyone stays closer together.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

k, thanks for the input

Quick Reply: protocol for leading a group