General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Profiled for being a biker, or a bodybuilder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM
camarotuner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Profiled for being a biker, or a bodybuilder?

I can't decide which on this one, so let me throw it out to you people. Buddy of mine is a friggin huge guy, you've seen the types. No neck, big arms, upper body like an upside down christmas tree. He's also a biker. So he gets pulled over while riding because he didn't "come to a full stop" at a stop sign. So they get him off the bike and decide to search him and the bike for drugs because "they smelled smoke". This I firmly believe, he had been hanging out with us and we've got tons of smokers. So, was he being profiled for being a biker and they think he's got drugs. Or was he being profiled for being a large freaky looking guy and they were looking for steroids? Oh and they foundnothing because he didn't have a thing on em anyways. Got off with a warning. Opinions on this?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:42 PM
khyber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Profiled for being a biker, or a bodybuilder?

by "smelled smoke", I take it you mean pot? if so, that was the reason for the search; they smelled pot smoke, it follows that he may have some on him. if just cig or campfire smoke, maybe then profiled for one or the other. clarify the "smoke".

rs

Old 01-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purely guessing I'd say if there was any profiling it was biker and not body builder (unless of course he looks like an excon)I'm not a cop so i have no idea what kind of profiling runs through there minds or what the statistics say but seems to me most body buildersare stereotypically into healthy body stuff, about the only drug connection could beroids. Since he didn't come to a full stop it was a fair call to stop him. Since he is a biker then there seems to be thatconnection of bikers and drugs.Just my opinion, may be way off the mark. Lots of factors to include the area he was stopped could influence a search.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 PM
harleygold
Tourer

He was profiled a nasty biker... cops[sm=boosign.gif] Either way, it's still a load of crap. I'm sure your buddy had a grin on his face when they didn't find anything.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say, no harm no foul.....If he roled though a stop, they had the right to pull him over. If they smelled "smoke" as in pot, well I guess that they had a right to search him for that to. They ended up letting him go....whats the big deal??? People get pulled over everyday for little things, what makes you think he was profiled? I really don't like the word profiled, I'm sick of people claiming to be profiled. [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i got pulled over for trying toget away from a f 250 riding my *** i tried to wave him by but he contuied to ride my *** so i sped up to pass another car when i got infront of that car i slowed so the truck couldnt get behind me on the highway didnt worked he squeezed in between me and the car got right back on my *** so i got kept tring to wave him by ,this went on for a bout ten miles. so i sped up weved inbetween several cars to get away didnt work he weeved through the cars too. tried to wave him by again but this time he put on lights and pulled me over. Turned out he was a sherrif in an undercover truck and he was off duty in civilain clothes. said i was speeding i said as politely as i could i was tring not to get run over. I was pretty pissed but i kept my cool because i just had three beers in about a 2 hour time limit, i was fine cause i drank a couple of cups of water like i always do before i leave a bar, but being in the military you can't even get pulled over, cause itscrews ya. I showed him my id he confirmedthat i wasnt out shoting and pilaging so i was left of with a warning. Still to this day i am baffled by this whole expeirence.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Profiling has its place; there are certain "types" that tend to do certain things. But what I see around here issmall town officers shaking the tree to see if anything falls out. Got a headlight out, especially on an older car? Then you'll get pulled and asked to consent to a search. Drive further than someone's idea of too far while in the left lane? Pulled and asked to consent to a search. Town just across the line in LA pulls for 1 mph over the limit. Another town has a 15 mph limit on a state highway in town. And I've watched onelocal pull someone for rolling a stop sign, except he didn't roll it. Kid had been busted before, so now he's a target every time this cop sees him. I've gotten pulled because I was driving my truck after I had repo'd it from my son. Cop "knew" he had a bust, but I had re-registered it in my name, had insurance, inspection, etc. Got ticked when I refused consent. Had to wait for the drug dog to show, and then all was well - dog-copwasmy former pastor. Used to be a sign on I-20 coming in from LA - Refuse Illegal Searches - cal xxx-xxx-xxxx. Seems some lawyers's kid had gotten popped for something and they tried to intimidateher into being searched. Lawyer didn't like it, so he started a crusade.

It happens, but at least it's not the normal thing most times. And its way better now than 30 years ago!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 AM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

Yeah, we all get tired of profiling - like being called an A-Hole for simply doing the job you're paid to do or having people think you constantly have some underhanded motive because you enforced a traffic law that everyone knows exists from the first day of driver's ed or having people still complain about you even though you let someone skate without a ticket on something they obviously did wrong.

Sorry for the rant, and I'm not going to claim that all cops are the best of people, but most are just honest people making a living and doing what they believe is right and earning their pay. Come on.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 AM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

i just had three beers in about a 2 hour time limit, i was fine cause i drank a couple of cups of water like i always do before i leave a bar,
Having a few cups of water doesn't do anything for your blood alcohol content or your coodination, only time will make you sober as your liver processes the alcohol. I'm not preaching, just be careful...

Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess they were profiling EVERYBODY that failed to obey that Stop Sign, huh? Don't give an Officer a reason to stop ya, and you won't have to complain !!

Quick Reply: Profiled for being a biker, or a bodybuilder?