General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling Thunder getting too big?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Rolling Thunder getting too big?

Rolling Thunder is getting too big. I got there real early with the Legion Riders and got corralled into the South lot. We were gauraunteed space in lot 1, but there were so many groups converging at 0800 that they completely lost control. Took me an hour but managed to escape that lot. Did not ride the protest this year. Wife was with me and she was getting sick from the heat. South lot is always bad but usually people who get there real late park there. Everybody knows you have to get there early, so it's become a free for all. Different groups cutting in to other groups. They will at least have to start offering the same amenities in lot 3 that they have in 1 and 2. It's like 1 and 2 are a big party with free food, drink and vendors. Lot 3 is hell on earth. Too far and unaccesable to walk to the other lots. Had a blast on Saturday though, so overall it was still worth it. But the actual ride ... Don't know how they will fix it. The word is out and everybody wants to ride in it. I guess us veterans think it should be our ride, but it is pretty awesome to see all those bikes and hear the thunder.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe vets one day and support another, just an idea.

I do think that vets should get preference. I did the RFTW back in 89 with my dad we went from Boston to DC and met up with a bunch of Vets, I was right out of highschool and the feeling of riding and being with 20 of my fathers friends was the best. Everything was cool on the run but the note became sad upon actually getting to the wall with my dad and his buddies. They were, rightly so, in a every emoitonal state. when we left the mood picked back up, not being a vet, and right out of school I just shut my mouth and watched. I have burning memories of that run and really I do not want to ruin them by going again. IEven if I wanted to I live in Mexico now, work reasons.

I respect all that go and all that have fallen for our freedom and I will ride in honor of those that cant, but I just cant go there again. My dad cant ride anymore, and over the years he has lost his buddies. So I guess if there is anyone that deserves to have spot and not feel like it is a circus are the vets. That of course is just my opinion.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Maybe...split

Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to ride in it someday

Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I rode it in a few years ago and it was huge. Took a very long time to get started off once the first bike took off but after we finally got going it was smooth.
Sucked trying to get out of DC though when one of the riders with us had a small tank Sportster and we were trying to find a gas station. Luckily we found one right before he ran out of gas.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been but I'd like to one day.
I think Vietnam Vets should have first preference followed by Veterans of all eras, perhaps with supporters of the cause the following day.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 217 Likes on 103 Posts

I really respect the idea behind the ride but it's way to short and way to many bikes to get my interests going

Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
I really respect the idea behind the ride but it's way to short and way to many bikes to get my interests going
It is a short ride, but the ride to the event and all the associated rides, ceremonies and parties really make it a unique big city rally. The ride around the capitol is short but pretty awesome.

You would think people would have their fill with the Pentagon parking situation, but they just keep coming back year after year along with the first timers.

Here's some advice ... you can get there late like around 1 or 2 and only have to wait a couple of hours. Just bring plenty of refreshments, because lot 3 is hell. Of course zombies who have been there all day may attack you.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Huh???... too short of a ride?

Isn't the Rolling Thunder ride a coast to coast route with vet riders starting in CA and picking up other vet riders as they pass through each state on the way to DC? That's the ride that's been on my bucket list for the last few years.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

No, its not too big, its not big enough. We are there one weekend over a long holiday on a demonstration ride. Do you think the inhabitant of the white house (no matter who) really understands what is going on? Can he even hear the thunder. No i say lets dont stop until there are a million bikes there and enough people get behind the demonstration that someone actually notices. Yes i have been in lot 3, have finally movedaround 330. Its a long wait but what is the wait compared to our troops waiting to be recognised fortheir service or the mia or pow who may possibly still be there. Too big...? Not as long as one vet needs a job or medical care or just someone to say thank you. Too big ? Not as long as one blue star mother waits on herchild to come home. Too big..? Not as long as one gold star mother wakes at night and crys. Its not big enough by a long shot. Maybe if you are just coming to see and be seen or just to cross it off your list maybe its too big. Ask the gunny who stands at attention behind the Lincoln memorial until every bike has passed, ask him if its too big. Btw..he VOLUNTEERS to do this.

No its not too big, lets double then triple the size

Quick Reply: Rolling Thunder getting too big?