General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling Thunder getting too big?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012 | 03:56 PM
cromagnon
|
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny K
I don't think the ride's too big (it can't be too big, IMHO), but they really had some size related problems this year that need fixing. It took two hours to get into the parking lot off of 395, which has never happened to me before.

They might want to consider multiple staging areas, or filling all three lots at once to elimate the merging bottleneck, or something.
Good answer to my question. I really don't think it is too big like I said in my first post, but they need to adjust the logistics. This was my 5th one, and the others were a lot smoother. I heard there was some road construction this morning that could have been a root cause. But they should make lot 3 as fun as lots 1 and 2. The vendors should be over there selling hot dogs, soda, gatoraid and other food. Yeah the fire truck was shooting water up in the air and they did have some water to drink, but overall, without much shade lot 3 has sucked. My big problem was that I brought my wife. No way she was surviving 7 hours in that lot.

Old 05-29-2012 | 05:42 PM
djnaldo
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

The group I was with, we all loaded our saddlebags with water and food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1L-Q68D0U

Old 05-29-2012 | 06:32 PM
jc15025
Club Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Wasn't this the 25th anniversary? Probably why so many. I don't think there be as many next year. I know some riders said they went just for the 25th and might be the last one they go to.

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Rolling Thunder is getting too big. I got there real early with the Legion Riders and got corralled into the South lot. We were gauraunteed space in lot 1, but there were so many groups converging at 0800 that they completely lost control. Took me an hour but managed to escape that lot. Did not ride the protest this year. Wife was with me and she was getting sick from the heat. South lot is always bad but usually people who get there real late park there. Everybody knows you have to get there early, so it's become a free for all. Different groups cutting in to other groups. They will at least have to start offering the same amenities in lot 3 that they have in 1 and 2. It's like 1 and 2 are a big party with free food, drink and vendors. Lot 3 is hell on earth. Too far and unaccesable to walk to the other lots. Had a blast on Saturday though, so overall it was still worth it. But the actual ride ... Don't know how they will fix it. The word is out and everybody wants to ride in it. I guess us veterans think it should be our ride, but it is pretty awesome to see all those bikes and hear the thunder.

Old 05-30-2012 | 10:02 AM
cromagnon
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jc15025
Wasn't this the 25th anniversary? Probably why so many. I don't think there be as many next year. I know some riders said they went just for the 25th and might be the last one they go to.
Hope you are right ... leaving an hour earlier next year .... even if I have to go before everyone else. I like lot 1 too much.

Old 05-30-2012 | 11:15 AM
moemorrison
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back last night from DC as well, was my first and it was an amazeing sight to see, was honoured to participate in the ride, checked out Thunder Alley, bought some stuff, will definately be going back again, just not sure when.

Old 05-30-2012 | 11:20 AM
Bones77
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
No, its not too big, its not big enough. We are there one weekend over a long holiday on a demonstration ride. Do you think the inhabitant of the white house (no matter who) really understands what is going on? Can he even hear the thunder. No i say lets dont stop until there are a million bikes there and enough people get behind the demonstration that someone actually notices. Yes i have been in lot 3, have finally movedaround 330. Its a long wait but what is the wait compared to our troops waiting to be recognised fortheir service or the mia or pow who may possibly still be there. Too big...? Not as long as one vet needs a job or medical care or just someone to say thank you. Too big ? Not as long as one blue star mother waits on herchild to come home. Too big..? Not as long as one gold star mother wakes at night and crys. Its not big enough by a long shot. Maybe if you are just coming to see and be seen or just to cross it off your list maybe its too big. Ask the gunny who stands at attention behind the Lincoln memorial until every bike has passed, ask him if its too big. Btw..he VOLUNTEERS to do this.

No its not too big, lets double then triple the size
Exactly! Its to honor those who stand in 110 degree heat and those that have fallen for the freedoms we enjoy. Not really about our comfort and making sure we have a "cold one". IMHO.

Bones.

Old 05-30-2012 | 11:40 AM
cromagnon
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bones77
Exactly! Its to honor those who stand in 110 degree heat and those that have fallen for the freedoms we enjoy. Not really about our comfort and making sure we have a "cold one". IMHO.

Bones.
I hear you ... but try lot 3 for 7 hours in 90+ heat. Most of us are very aware of why we are riding this. We try to get there early, to get out early. This year we got there early to get out later, while riders coming in after us got in lot's 1 and 2. It was a cluster f*ck.

Old 05-30-2012 | 12:56 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

I hear you ... but try lot 3 for 7 hours in 90+ heat. Most of us are very aware of why we are riding this. We try to get there early, to get out early. This year we got there early to get out later, while riders coming in after us got in lot's 1 and 2. It was a cluster f*ck.
I get your point. Hopefully those who need to know, know; and will work to rectify the organization of the event.

Bones.

Old 05-30-2012 | 07:07 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

We try to get there early, to get out early. It was a cluster f*ck.
After reading the entire thread, I only selected the above quote as you seem to be following your thread.

This was my 6th RT in a row. As far as getting in & parked - it was a cluster f*ck!
Here's what I got out of the why... Our usual way in off of 110 was blocked off. They had orange cones directing us to a different exit where they looped us through the south (3) lot and over to the north (1) lot. Took forever and from my vantage point - everything was backed up. I could see the southbound lane exit of 395 was jamb packed.

For the past 5 years, we've always been 2 wide turning into the actual parking lot. You stay in your 'lane' and they park you 2 wide. If you want to ride with people you know, you get in the same lane long before the parking lot. We did that. But when we finally pulled into the parking lot, they were splitting our single lane. Meaning our group was divided in half.

I was asking the parking lot people why they split us at the last second, and this is different from years before, blah, blah, blah... One of the workers leaned in and said the guy who has been running the parking lots for a number of years had died this past year. So there's someone else in charge for the first time. Also, because of the major backups happening on all the roads, the state & local police came down on the Rolling Thunder people to get these lots filled now.

So if you were directed to the south lot to park, that's probably why. Luckily, we were there just a few minutes before 8 and got to park in the north lot. Even still, we left the lot 30-45 minutes later than previous years. But once we got moving, 22 minutes later I was on the George Washington Pkwy getting out of town.

Old 06-01-2012 | 08:23 PM
Bens05FLHPI
Cruiser

It's on my bucketlist of rides