General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need protective gloves. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 PM
AmericanMuscle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need protective gloves. Any ideas?

I want a set of summer and insulated winter gloves. Are leather gloves way too hot for the summer? I want mid forearm, protection, with reinforcments and padding. Looking at these...

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycl...ves/51458.html

Old 05-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too enjoy leather gloves in the warmer/summer months. Those you list are a bit too much for me, especially in warmer riding climates.

I wear these duty gloves from Hatch. Nice quality and thin.
http://www.hatch-corp.com/detail.aspx?pid=SG20P There are many other styles availabe.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I use insulated gloves year round. Really hot here in the desert and it keeps the sun heat down.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My year-around gloves are elkskin by Fox Creek Leather. They're surprisingly warm in colder weather (unlined) and also stay soft after having been wet. Very durable and thick yet soft leather.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

In the summer I use the Olympia perforated leather with gel palms. Comfortable, vent nicely. Use the Olympia All Season and a cold weather, (can't think of their name for it) during cooler/colder times

Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in the winter months i use a pair of heavy duty insulated workgloves i get them at one of the local truck stops for around $10 a pair, they see use both riding on 2 wheels, 4 wheeler, and my tim the toolman taylor'esque lawnmower/snowplow/ wood hauler, summer months i usualy use them too. they wont win no fashion awards with the fingerless gloves crowd but they arew comfy, warm, and absorb impact from flying debris quite well

Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,834 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Agreed with above. Good quality leather is surprisingly both warm and cool, depending on the weather.

( Besides, I suspect that "stainless steel knuckle protectors" might get you in trouble with some LEOs in some places.)

Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 PM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
I want a set of summer and insulated winter gloves. Are leather gloves way too hot for the summer? I want mid forearm, protection, with reinforcments and padding. Looking at these...

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycl...ves/51458.html
Those look like they'll do the job for summer riding. I wear the Alpine carbon fiber which are similar (armored) in nature, however they don't cover my forearms. They can get a little toasty when over 100°, but it's nothing major.

For winter use you'll feel the cold when riding in freezing weather. For winter riding I usually wear my Cabelas snowmobile gloves. They're Gore-Tex and are thick enough to probably withstand a good pavement kissing without tearing my hands up too bad. Hope I never have to find out.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Arizona
My year-around gloves are elkskin by Fox Creek Leather. They're surprisingly warm in colder weather (unlined) and also stay soft after having been wet. Very durable and thick yet soft leather.
+1 on Fox Creek, Va company, keeping local people employed, not to mention quality products

Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it is too cold for a pair of golf gloves, i will stay home. i feel for you poor guys that have to ride in the cold. might want to call in sick. we occasionally hit 100 degrees in february down here in south texas,

Quick Reply: Need protective gloves. Any ideas?